How many 4oz & 8oz bottles do I need for newborn - 1 year

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jaciee, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Jaciee

Jaciee Member

I'm a first time parent expecting twins (translation = I have no clue what I need!)

I plan on breastfeeding, or perhaps pumping into bottles for hubby to help. But eventually weaning them probably around 6 months or so.

How many 4oz bottles do I need for twin newborns if breastfeeding doesn't work out?

How many 8oz bottles do I need for, say, twin 6-month olds not breastfeeding anymore?

Thanks for the help & advice! I'm so clueless... 4 bottles.. 20 bottles... ugh!?!

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I would be careful about buying too many bottles before your LO's arrive. I went out and bought a TON of Avent bottles and my girls both hated them and would not take them. We went through a few other kinds before we finally found Dr. Browns, and those have worked great! Once you find a bottle that works, I would buy more 8oz bottles than 4oz bottles because those last longer. I have about 24 8oz bottles and that usually lasts me a little over 2 days or so (I Hate washing bottles everyday). GL!

3. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

We had 12 small bottles for the beginning, but I wish we would have had 16 ~ I *think* we had 8 feedings per day in the beginning months x 2 babies = 16 bottles. I didn't like having to worry if they were washed when we were so tired in the beginning, so it nice to have enough for at least the majority of the day.
    I now have 10 bottles, 5 per baby per day & it works out great :good:

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't spend too much money on the 4 ounce bottles b/c you use those for a very short time. You can always put 4 ounces in the 8 ounce bottles. We now use 8 bottles per day, so I like to have 10 total. When they were younger and eating every 3 hours we used 10 bottles every 12 hours - so if you don't want to run out you need at least 12.

For 2 newborns I'd say you need sixteen 8-ounce bottles. I got my Dr. Brown's bottles before the girls were born and we've never used any other kind.

5. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

I ditto the comment about not investing in too many bottles before they arrive. We were given a few starter packs (3 different brands - Avent, Dr. Browns, and Playtex vent airs) to try in the beginning - and mine definately had a preference. They couldn't eat out of the wideneck Avent bottles. They would suck and suck and just couldn't get anything or would choke because the nipple went too far down. FYI... they were 5&6lb 37weekers. We also got lots of 2oz bottles/nipples from the hospital to see us through until we found the right one for us (which was the Dr. Browns standard bottles). But by then I knew how many we needed as we knew how many times they would eat a day and how washing bottles worked for us, etc.

I also ditto the comment about maybe buying mostly if not all 8oz bottles and not the 4oz because they outgrow them so quickly - for us by 2 months.

FWIW... we now have 16 bottles although we only use 9 a day. I keep 2 in my diaper bag, and 2 extra bottles at daycare and have 3 spares in case someone is hungrier than normal, or wakes up in the middle of the night, or we misplace one - we lost one under the couch for almost 2 weeks. And we handwash every day.

FYI... While it may be overblown, I would ensure that I got BPA free bottles. Even if it's panic for nothing, why risk it?