How many days are your children attending preschools?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by christineinhk, Jan 27, 2008.

1. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

Here in Hong Kong there's a lot of pressure to attend the 'right' schools etc.

I've found a good school that has a preschool section - I'm a bit concerned though, its 3 hours every morning for a 5 day week. They even said my girls could go before they turn 2! Its not necessary for them to go of course but I want them to have some structure etc. (as mentioned in other thread about advantages of preschool). I'm just hesitant to have them dong a 5 day week! My friend who's also enrolled her son in the preschool, says apart from the first week where you stay with them, the goal is for them to attend by themselves - isn't 2 years old too young??

What's everyone thoughts about this?

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would do a shortened schedule for that young. They could certainly do fine with 2 days and would likely be fine with 5 days, but for ME - seems early. Everyone has their own threshold.

My SIL has to work full time, so her little boy will go to preschool full time when he's two. Just how it has to be for her.

I am sure it's pretty different over there, so I don't know if they have 2 or even 3 day weeks. I am looking at 2 half days (leaning towards 2 full sometimes when they start acting 3 already!) a week.

Good luck!! Ultimately it's all up to you! I hope you get some solid advice!

3. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I have heard from friends that live in Europe and elsewhere that 5 days/week preschool for those under 3 is quite common. Here in the states, the majority of preschools are divided into a 3 and 4 year old program then Kindergarten.

From what I understand, the reason for age 3 start is that it coincedes with when the majority of kids are potty trained (a place has to be fully licensed as a daycare center to change diapers...I believe). Age 3 is also the time when children get much more into interactive play vs. parallel play.

Certainly, there are many children in daycare 5 days/week from infancy on. The daycare may do a preschool format for part of the day from a young age. The kids all adapt and do well.

For me, I'm a SAHM (by choice). I gave up my career to be at home with my kids. I didn't see a reason to start preschool any earlier than age 3. We were on a preschool wait list at a prestigeous University program that was 3hrs- 5 days/week. I ended up turning it down. While I'm sure that our kids would have quickly adapted and been fine, I felt that I wanted that time to be with my kids. I opted for a 2 day/week, 3year old program. It has been great. The have benefited from it (particularly the social skills) and have fun. The other days we have together. Before I know it, they will be in Kindergarten.. which here is full day 5 days/week. I think it comes down to what fits you best.

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I have heard that a good rule of thumb is the number of mornings equalling your child's age, which is basically what we're doing -- when my older DD was 2.5, she went two mornings a week (from 9am to 1pm), now she's in 3 mornings a week, and in the fall she'll likely go 4 mornings, before starting full-day kindergarten the following year.

ETA -- I agree with what the PP said about potty training -- my DD was trained before her 2-year-old class started, and if she hadn't been, I probably would have waited 'til the following year for her to start school.

5. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

I work from home and have a nanny and want to spend as much time with them as possible. I think I may delay them going then til maybe next year when they are 3 years old. Thanks so much for the advice!

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Just for some reference of what happens in other countries.

Here in Mexico, "Kindergaten" is basically preschool and kindergarten combined and separate from primary school which starts with 1st grade at 6 years old.
    There are three grades of Kindergaten, the first year has rolling enterance and most kids don't start until they turn 3, but they can start in August if they are going to turn 3 before the end of the year. Grade K2 is for 4 year olds and K3 for 5 year olds, those two follow regular school year. In order to enter grade K2 your kid HAS to have gone to at least 4 months of K1, if not you have to enroll your 4 year old with the three year olds. Each year is mandatory and in order to enter 1st grade you have to have done kinder. :rolleyes:
    The public kindergatens run from 8:30 to 12:00 5 days a week. I think this is a little much and ridiculous to be mandatory, but I think the idea behind it is good. It used to be only the upperclass kids in Mexico attended Kindergaten and teachers saw that those students saw an advantage in first grade, so making it public means preschool is now accessible for all. But three years of it?
    I work so my girls would be in daycare anyways, so I'm okay with it. My girls go to a daycare/kindergaten, they are there from 8:30 to 2:00pm 5 days a week and have been since they were 11 months old.