How many diapers did you really go through in a week?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Queen of Carrots, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I'm trying to price-compare buying disposables versus using a diaper service. (I do much better with cloth but my washer's in the basement and I just don't see myself keeping up with the laundry for the first few months.)

How many diapers a week do newborn twins really go through? The single-baby estimates always seem high to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a really lazy diaper changer. ;) Also it doesn't seem like two would need to have quite twice the number of one, because there's got to be a little margin there and you wouldn't need a double margin for two. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part . . . Anyway, I'd love to hear real numbers, especially if you're also one who puts off the diaper change until the last possible minute. :rolleyes:

2. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

In the early days, I used close to three dozen per day. Those kids pooped constantly.

3. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

we went through between 80 and 100 in a week when they were newborn. You can basically count on changing them whenever you feed which for us was every three to four hours.

4. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Us to, we fed every 3 hrs, so about 8times/day, and I would count almost 3 diapers/change, as they always pooped and peed on the new diaper before we could even close it up! So we went through about 24-30/day!

5. cole715

cole715 Well-Known Member

We went through about 10-12 per child per day, so about 150 per week total.

6. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I go through between 14-20 ba day. It just depends on how many times they poop, sometimes they poop right after I change them. Sometimes I will be putting on a new dipe and they will pee/poo. So it depends. At the very LEAST, 14. That's for both.

7. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

QUOTE(isis @ Jun 15 2008, 06:11 PM) [snapback]828159[/snapback]
    Us to, we fed every 3 hrs, so about 8times/day, and I would count almost 3 diapers/change, as they always pooped and peed on the new diaper before we could even close it up! So we went through about 24-30/day!

Us too!

8. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

We went through about 10-12 per day in the beginning, per child. Now we're down to about 5-6 per day per child :)

9. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

My breastfed babies hardly ever pooped ... one was like once a week! Which, my Ped assured me, was normal for BF babies. We probably went through 14-16 a day at first then at about 2 months old, I stopped changing them in the night (unless they were poopy) and it went down to like 12 a day. We never used the 20 a day that the literature says to bank on!

10. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

If you are using cloth, I think you need a few more than you do disposables. We use disposables. In the beginning we used 16-18 a day. That was once for every feeding (every 3 hours) plus a couple of instances where they went on the new diaper or immediately after a change. Now (at nearly 6 months) we use about 12 a day.

11. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

In the beginning we went through 8-10 diapers each per day so about 20. Then things started slowing down a little when they stopped pooping every single time we fed them. Now at a little over 1yr we go through half of that.

12. monique+2

monique+2 Well-Known Member

In the beginning we used like 30 a day(poopers) It slowed down a little once they got a little older but now they are back on the incline and I go through like a jumco box of 80 diapers in like 3 or 4 days.

13. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Jun 15 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]828269[/snapback]
    If you are using cloth, I think you need a few more than you do disposables. We use disposables. In the beginning we used 16-18 a day. That was once for every feeding (every 3 hours) plus a couple of instances where they went on the new diaper or immediately after a change.

I agree, I think with cloth you need to change more often b/c the moisture stays next to their skin and you don't want rashes, but with the disposibles these days the pee is absorbed much better and you could go longer if you wanted to. My girls peed on their "clean" diapers almost everytime in the beginning, I think it was a game for them :) so we used close to 30 per day/150 per week for the first month or so

14. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We went through 24 to 26 diapers a day in the beginning...

15. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

we would go thru about 20 per day in the beginning, now at almost 6 mo's old we go thru about 10 per day :)

16. LisaP

LisaP Member

I use mostly cloth diapers and go through about 12 a day for my twins. I don't use a service though, I wash my own diapers, I have Fuzzi bunz and bumgenius diapers which have a layer of fleece to keep moisture off of their skin and I've never had a single issue with rashes at all, even if I'm a little late changing them. I still use a disposable at night and I don't change diapers at night unless they are poopy. I have 24 cloth diapers and do a wash every 2 days.

17. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

When mine were newborns, we probably went through 12 a day....maybe 14. At that stage, they pooped for almost every change. Now though, at 7 months adjusted, I'd say 8 per day. I don't bother to change overnight anymore (unless dirty)...so just change at every feeding...so 4 per baby.

18. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

5 or 6 each a day, which is about 12 diapers a day in all. So about 80-90 diapers a week. Depending on how much they poop or pee.

19. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Queen of Carrots @ Jun 15 2008, 06:40 PM) [snapback]828137[/snapback]
    I'm trying to price-compare buying disposables versus using a diaper service. (I do much better with cloth but my washer's in the basement and I just don't see myself keeping up with the laundry for the first few months.)

How many diapers a week do newborn twins really go through? The single-baby estimates always seem high to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a really lazy diaper changer. ;) Also it doesn't seem like two would need to have quite twice the number of one, because there's got to be a little margin there and you wouldn't need a double margin for two. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part . . . Anyway, I'd love to hear real numbers, especially if you're also one who puts off the diaper change until the last possible minute. :rolleyes:

I'd have a hard time telling you how many we did at the beginning - I think probably 8-10 a day per baby. For the past few months, it's been roughly 400 a month. I know because we do a monthly Target trip, and I buy 4 cases of basically 100 each per month and that works out just about right. And in case you are wondering, we also go through 400 drop in liners, 10 wipes refills, and 12-13 cans of formula per month. :)

20. Flutterbymama

Flutterbymama Well-Known Member

As newborns we changed at every feeding plus a couple surprises in between so on average 28 a day. Now we average about 12 - 14 a day.

21. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We went through 8-10 a day. We did use cloth from 8-14 weeks and it was about the same. However, we had some room to wait a bit with disposables (in case the time got away from us). That's not the case with cloth. I really had to make sure that I changed them right away or every two hours promptly. HTH :) . So exciting your babies are almost here!

22. amyjoy3

amyjoy3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cole715 @ Jun 15 2008, 06:41 PM) [snapback]828184[/snapback]
    We went through about 10-12 per child per day, so about 150 per week total.

Same here.

23. khpine

khpine Member

We use a cloth diaper service (we have been really happy with it) and used at least 10-12 (sometimes up to 14) diapers per day per baby for the first few months, so about 24 diapers per day total.

24. ferfischer

ferfischer Well-Known Member

I also used fuzzibunz and washed them myself - did this from birth. I have 16 smalls. I did laundry every other day. If i ran out, i'd use disposables, no biggie. Then i'd wash the diapers after i ran out. we don't use many sposies at all, and i use them at night and also when they have rashes andwhen we leave the house (not often). we saved a TON of $$.