How many moms take a nap during the day?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lio&ella, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

OK, it started when the babies were teeny tiny, I had to take a nap during the day just to survive. But now that the kids are 14 months old, I am still taking a nap during the kids morning nap. Im getting very nervous because they kids are acting like they are almost ready to go to one nap a day. And that means that I wont be able to nap anymore! Their second nap, I run around like crazy trying to accomplish all the things I should have been doing during their first nap, like laundry, dishes and dinner! My sister busted me napping the other day when she "dropped by" for a quick visit and she gave me an earful. Am I the only other mom that takes a nap during the day?

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Wow, why would your sister give you grief about taking a nap? Looking after toddlers is *exhausting*! I don't take a nap most days (but only because I'm at work and my boss frowns on that ;) ) but on weekends, I try to get at least 1 nap in while the boys sleep. Keep in mind that if your LOs move to 1 nap, that nap may be longer than either of their 2 naps so you might be able to get stuff done, then take a rest afterward. :)

My most productive time is after they go to bed because that's when I have the most energy.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

no way are you the only one! i napped during the morning nap until they dropped it & now i often nap during their afternoon nap. if i need it, i need it & i'm not going to feel bad about it. if i don't rest my eyes for at least 20 minutes, i'm usually crashing by the time dinner rolls around and that is not good for anybody. :crazy:

i'm with Valerie - i can't believe your sister would give you grief about that.

4. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I used to nap twice a day when they napped twice a day. Now, it's just once a day around noon. I agree with PPs, if I don't take a nap I'm falling asleep at dinner time. Raising toddlers is hard, but TWO -- you have to rest sometime.

5. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

Whew! I thought I was the only one! Im glad I am not alone! Part of my problem is my husband usually works until very late in the evening and then when he comes home (the kids are already in bed of course so I have had them all day alone) he eats then we usually chat. I am not getting to bed unitl around 1130, then I get up at 6 with the kids. I really dislike the fact that my husband works so late. Its like my day never ends! Once the kids are in bed I have to start my "second job", being a wife. I enjoy time with my hubby, but with the way things are now, I dont have any down time or me time. Except the kids naptime. Pay no attention to my sister! She works fulltime ( three 12 hr shifts) and she still runs circles around me! I dont know how she does it!

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

No wonder you're tired; you totally need a nap during the day!!

I work FT outside the home, and I have to say that working (at least the work I do) is much less physically tiring than being at home with my guys. During the week I do just fine, but on weekends or days off (especially if I'm alone with the boys) I'm pooped by 2pm! :D

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you nap!! Your sister is probably just jealous :p
    I don't nap during the day but it's more because of the fact that I wake up in a cruddy mood! No matter how long I sleep or how I wake up, it's never pretty. Enjoy those naps!

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't do a morning nap- I spend that one getting stuff done. But I take an afternoon nap pretty much every day. Some peoe are just anti-nap. :mad:

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I take a nap almost every day now that I am pregnant. When I wasn't pregnant I didn't nap as often as I do now. Now I really need it!

10. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I wish I could nap during the day and I really regret that I didn't take full advantage of it when I only had one kid. On the rare occasions that my older two are out somewhere, I jump at the chance to nap when the twins are napping.

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would like to take a nap right now. :lazy:

No one in my husbands' family naps, so whenever they're around I feel like the laziest person ever.. but it keeps me sane!

12. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I used to take a nap pretty much every day when they took more than one nap. Now that they are on two naps, I still try to take a nap on most days. I will sometimes sleep for only half of the nap and do other stuff during the rest of the nap. I try to convince myself that I should be doing other things, but I really love napping!!

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If I can I do! I have 2 older kids so it's not always possible, and sometimes it's more of a "snooze" on the couch while the older two play or watch movies, but I would say 2-3 times a week i take a nap! Raising toddlers is TOUGH! :hug:

14. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I looove my nap time. I am dreading going back to teaching in September and losing my beloved rest time :angry:

15. betha

betha Well-Known Member

My kids are on one nap a day (12-2). I take a nap a few times a week. I used to be productive during their nap time, but I was totally crabby by the time late afternoon rolled around. Now, I make myself rest for the first hour of their nap. If I'm really tired, I will snooze for 20-30 minutes or so. Even if I don't sleep, I'm in bed with my eyes closed. Just having some peace and quiet is wonderful and refreshing. I try to get something else done during the last hour. If they wake up early, I just let them watch a preschool show on tv so I can finish dishes, etc.
    I'd say take care of yourself! I make myself go to bed at 10 almost every night, otherwise I'm crabby the next morning. I guess my goal is to be crabby free as much as possible!

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wish I could nap when the kids nap! For some reason, unless I am not feeling well, I cannot nap during the day or I won't sleep at night. I say nap away! If I was Queen of the Universe, there would be a mandatory naptime or at least quiet time during the day for everyone!

17. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys are 2 1/2 and I still take a nap almost every day. :good: They are GREAT nappers and usually take a good 3+ hour nap. I don't nap the entire time but can get a good 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I then have an hour or so to catch up on things around the house.

18. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

I'm a napper too! Especially since I'm pregnant but I'm sure I'd take a nap even if I wasn't! Some days I just can't function w/o one! Nap away!

19. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

When we did two naps per day, one in the am and one in the afternoon they would sleep 1 hour here and 1 hour for the next nap if not less. We are at 1 nap a day after lunch and they sleep around 2 hours at a time. This way you could nap for an hour and do your chores for an hour :)

20. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

I so nap if I can!!! I am torn between the chores I want to get done around the house and to lay down for an hour while the twins nap. Some days I just choose one or the other and I never feel bad about choosing to nap! Running after toddlers is exhausting!

21. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I don't nap, but I've never been a napper. During the first year I did occasionally nap when my kids did if I was really tired. Maybe I should start napping while I still have a good excuse (while I'm still pregnant).

22. SheriBrownDion

SheriBrownDion Well-Known Member

Wow I am completely amazed at how many of your are sooooooo lucky to get a nap in! Wow! Enjoy it ladies! I would love to get in a nap, but since I have a non-napping 4 yr old no such luck unless he is really tired - then maybe i get 20-30 minutes. Sometimes I fall alseep readin g stories in the afternoon to the kids and definitely reading bedtime stories at night. I am in bed by 9. Little late this evening.
    Happy Napping!!

23. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

I would totally take a nap, but the twins' nap time and our youngest daughter's nap time never fall at the same time. I am really looking forward to when they all nap at the same time. I'm tired and could use a little me time and a little nap time! :)

24. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Oh man, I can't even begin to tell you how neglected my house is...lol. I'm so exhausted by there nap time that I take a nap and once they get to bed, that's it...I am done and just want to enjoy ME time without having to be in the same room with them non-stop, especially since they like to fall.

25. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I work FT during the week but I take a nap on the weekends whenever the boys go down for a nap, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it! Sometimes I can't sleep but its still nice to have that little bit of quiet time. I've always been a big napper though, since way before the twinkies arrived. Some moms put a higher priority on having a spotless, organized home, and some prefer a more laid back and less stressful life. I fall in the latter category :D Though if I had older kids too I'm sure I wouldn't have the luxury of naps! Anyway, enjoy your naps while you can because you won't always have the opportunity! That's something I tell my boys all the time too but they don't often listen ;)

26. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I absolutely nap if I can! I get alot of grief from my dh, but sleep is sooo worth it!

27. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I often take a power nap during the day. I've read research on napping and it actually has a lot of benefits for adults! :)

28. ronee75

ronee75 Well-Known Member

i love my daily naps! i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one, too! my girls only take one nap a day for 1-2hrs and i'm sleeping right along with them! the household stuff can wait, because a well rested mama is a happy mama and we all know that is beneficial for the entire family...lol!

29. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I can't fall asleep during the day, it sucks! But I still lay down for at least 1 hour when they go down for their 1 nap (on the 2 days I am not working.) On the weekends, when they go down for nap, DH and I BOTH lay down for 60-90 mins. It does wonders for making it through the days. I could care less what anyone around me thinks...LOL...I would invite them to come run my house. I go to bed around 10 or 11 latest and am up at 5 am to walk dog, water outside, vacuum, get ready for the day, etc. I would love some "me" time before the house wakes up but there is always too much to catch up on. Thank goodness I have always been a morning person...lol. Also, if I don't lay down for a bit when they do, by 8 pm at night I am worthless. :crazy:

30. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Napping when your babies/toddlers nap is a wonderful habit. Don't let anyone talk you out of that. It's much more important for your health and happiness than household chores. A happy and rested mom = happier days for the whole family.

I share the late morning nap with my little ones on the days when I am not at work - we all snuggle together on the big bed. It is wonderful and gives me the chance to catch up on sleep after bad nights and energizes me for the afternoons with two demanding toddlers. And if I feel really rested (which is very rare) I read a proper book instead of sleeping.

31. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

I used to nap everyday when the boys took two naps a day, but since going down to one nap a day, i probably nap every other day. That's the day I decide not to shower...LOL...okay I shower at night when they go down on the days I nap instead. But as they already said, raising twin toddlers is exhausting, we need our nap to reengerize ourselves...And no one should give you grief, we not only take care of the twins, we run the house as well, along with working moms. Thank gosh for naps is what I say....

32. marijanad

marijanad Well-Known Member

What's this issue with napping? Of course you should nap! If you need rest, rest. No one who has not raised twins should even comment on the amount of rest you need. Otherwise, be a grumpy, short tempered, overtired mom and this will make for a bad situation. If I feel I need to nap because I am overtired, unwell, anticipating a late night, or whatever, I do it during the girls' afternoon nap and if anyone tries to interrupt-watch out!

33. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I nap on occasion... depends how I'm feeling or what I need to get done. I feel lazy when I do it, but sometimes I just need it for the mental health aspect.

34. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I take a nap almost every day!! It's usually the afternoon nap, since that's when all 3 are down for the count. I get so annoyed with myself because I know that my house could be so much cleaner if I just stopped napping, but I just can't do it! I keep looking for a magic pill that will give me the energy to get through the entire day without feeling like I'm going to fall over....but no luck yet!

35. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls sleep 13.5 hours a night (we are lucky!) so I get at least 8 hours at night. However, with all the running around, school, and cleaning throughout the day, I take a 20 min nap about 2 times a week. Those tend to be the days I don't go to the gym. I think that a nap longer than that makes me more sleepy! The workout tends to wake me up more than napping! If your kiddos drop to one nap, try going for a walk with them for about 30 min to give yourself a little boost and you can do it while they are awake so you can still accomplish all of your necessary things during their nap!