how much and how often do you feed at 3 months?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cael0816, Feb 17, 2007.

1. cael0816

cael0816 Well-Known Member

so i posted earlier about how many any ounces you give or gave at 3 months? i should have asked also how often. i was giving 4 ounces every three hours, sometimes 2 1/2. now i give 6 ounces but they still want to eat every 3 hours usually. is that ok? am i giving them too much? should i try to stretch it out to 4 hours? they are napping better now that i increased their ounces. i just want to see if i'm doing this whole formula thing right

thanks!!

2. cael0816

cael0816 Well-Known Member

so i posted earlier about how many any ounces you give or gave at 3 months? i should have asked also how often. i was giving 4 ounces every three hours, sometimes 2 1/2. now i give 6 ounces but they still want to eat every 3 hours usually. is that ok? am i giving them too much? should i try to stretch it out to 4 hours? they are napping better now that i increased their ounces. i just want to see if i'm doing this whole formula thing right

thanks!!

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

My guys are 7 months now and they eat 8 oz but still every 3 hours. I think at 3 months we were doing 6-8 oz every 2 hours, so your guys are doing great going the whole three!

4. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Our girls are 1 day younger than your boys. They eat approximately every 2.5 hours (sometimes it is 2hr15min, sometimes it is 2hr45min). I wish it was every 3 hours. They eat approximately 4oz at each feed (sometimes 3oz, sometimes 5oz).

5. Lisala

Lisala Well-Known Member

We are still feeding about every 3 hours during the day because they seem super hungry still every 3 hours (unless a nap keeps them sleeping past the 3 hour mark). We feed our little guy 6.5 oz and our little girl 5.5 oz. Our ped. said this was just fine and they just had a check-up this week and their weights are right on track.

6. Mommydee

Mommydee Well-Known Member

when i'm home, i BF about every 4 hrs. now,though i'd say at your kids ages it was about 3 hrs. When they are at the sitter, they are taking 5 oz of breastmilk also aobut every 4 hrs., though i think we may bump it up to 6 oz soon. i was worried they weren't getting enough, but they seem happy and are growing as expected, so i guess it's fine! i'm sure they will let you know if they need more!
    interestingly, we HAD been giving them 6 oz about a month ago and my son was just having terrible problems with spitting up, so MD suggested taking it back down to 4 oz, and it made a big difference. i think sometimes we worry so much about making sure they get enough, that we may overfeed (i did anyway!). so just take their cues.

7. Randene

Randene Active Member

My twins are almost 3 months and we are now up to 6 oz every 3-4 hours. [​IMG]

8. AmyD

AmyD Well-Known Member

If they're eating the 6 oz, then that's what they need. I think every 3 hours during the day is fine and then let them sleep as long as they can at night.