How much baby food were/are your 6.5 month olds eating?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jjzollman, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My 6.5 month olds LOVE their Stage 1 solids - fruits, veggies, oatmeal. It seems like they could eat more than I am currently giving them. As of today they are sharing 1 container of fruit/day, 1 container of veggies/day and a few tablespoons of oatmeal. They just scarf it down and actually cry when I don't give them more! :eek:

Of course, they are still getting about 30ish ounces of EBM and formula/day, too. So, I know they aren't really hungry, just really enjoying the new flavors.

Should I be giving them more at this point?

Thanks!

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

hmmm i'm not sure ~
    mine are eating cereal 2x a day & veggies 2x a day (we dont do fruits every day...don't want them to stop loving the veggies yet!) and they also have 30+ oz of formula.
    they LOVE solids time, but let me know when they are done for sure with the head turns/mouth clamped shut :)

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I wish I had the magic answer for you - but it depends. Defintely watch for signs that they are done, but if they aren't giving you those signs, I don't think it hurts to try a little more solids. Mine wanted more solids, partly because it was new and they liked all the new flavors.

One thing we did was to mix a fruit or veggie (that one made me :bad: at first, but they loved it) with some cereal for an added combination, and so they could have a little bigger solids meal.

Good luck with this! It's quite an adventure, huh?

4. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

Mine are only a little older than that but 2 weeks ago...
    They were eating EACH:
    Breakfast- 3 tbsp. oatmeal w/e 1/2 container of Stage 2 fruit (1/4 cup)
    Dinner- 1 container of stage 2 veggie, 1 container of state 2 fruit.

On monday they are going to start eating lunch, 3 tbsp barley with 1/2 container of Stage 2 veggie.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they are crying that they want more then I'd say give them more!
    I'd call the pedi and ask to be sure though. Maybe you could move up to stage 2 foods, you get more per container.

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

as long as the ebm/formula consumption doesn't drop then feed them as much as they want :)

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Jul 26 2008, 09:15 PM) [snapback]897915[/snapback]
    as long as the ebm/formula consumption doesn't drop then feed them as much as they want :)

Totally agree. I would give them a bit more solids one day and keep an eye on your liquid intake. Then find the right balance.

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I just cannot remember how much my older son was eating at this point. And they are just acting like they want more, more, more. I didn't expect them to take to solids this well!! :) I've only been giving them squash, pears, and prunes as they are battling constipation at this point due to the change in diet from mainly EBM and some formula to fruits and veggies.

As a PP said, it is such an adventure!

I gave them 2 containers of squash tonight - 1 container each - and then they took their 5oz of EBM. So, we'll see how this goes with adding more food!

Thanks for your replies!

9. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

we only started solids a few weeks ago, and mostly we just do one meal per day, and they split one small bowl of rice cereal mixed with a fruit or a veggie. I make my own, so it's typically one TBSP of rice for each ice-cube sized chunk of fruit or veggie. I call it "baby risotto" ;)

ONE time, ever, has either of them acted like they wanted more, and I BFed him instead and them he was fine.

10. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I always fed mine until they seemed uninterested. I think you could feed them a bit more if they still seem hungry.

11. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

I would give a little more, too.

Can you offer them a sippy cup with water after solids for practice and distraction (and to help cleam up messy faces! ;) )?