How much baby food?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jentwinmom, May 13, 2008.

1. jentwinmom

jentwinmom Well-Known Member

Mine are eating 1 jar of baby food at each feeding. We are doing rice cereal in the morning, fruit in the afternoon and vegtables in the evening. I just was not sure if each of them eating an entire jar of baby food was the normal at around 6 months.

2. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

Well my daughter is eating solids 2xs right now. I give her 2tbls of oatmeal with 1/2 jar fruit. Sometimes she will take the whole jar. Late afternoon she is eating 1 jar of veggies and almost 1 jar of fruit. I feed her as much as she'll take. We have issues with my son so he really isn't eating solids right now.

3. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

I'm only feeding mine food twice a day, but at each sitting they are each eating at least one jar. Sunday night they polished off 2 jars each and still wanted a bottle each afterwards!

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I think that sounds normal. My boys started at that amount and it seems like everytime I introduce a new fruit/veggie, they eat another jar (between the two). Last night for dinner together they had (approx b/c I make my own food) 1 jar carrots, 1 jar sweet potatoes, 2 jars squash w/ rice, 2 jars pears. At lunch they had 1 jar sweet potatoes, 2 jars squash w/rice, 1 jar carrots, 1 jar banana/pear/apple. They eat cereal in the morning too and 4 bottles (about 5-6 ozs).

We didn't start cereal until 6 months, but the boys have loved having solids. They actually cried when they ate all the banana/pear/apple. So cute!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do about 4tbs of oatmeal and a Stage 2 container of fruit in the am, and then for dinner they get a Stage 2 fruit/veggie that they both split...

6. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

We don't do any solids yet... I really think it is up to you and your family as to when to start & how much to give... We are holding off until about 9 months per doctor & lactation recommendations...

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. As long as they are happy and getting the formula or bm they need then keep up the good work!

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

Ditto as long as they are still drinking the formula it is fine!

Mine were barely sharing a stage 1 jar between the two of them!!!

9. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Mine are eating twice a day. In the am they are splitting about 1-2 tablespoons of rice cereal or oatmeal and they split a half a jar of fruits. In the pm it is the same amount but veggies instead of fruit. I know it deosn't seem like a lot but I had to start slow because they were spitting it out. Now that they are actually swallowing it, maybe I can start upping the amount.

10. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Wow my girls are pigs! They have 3 meals a day plus nurse 6x during the day! :icon_eek:

For breakfast they split 1 tbsp cereal with 4oz fruit
    For lunch they split 1 tbsp cereal with 4oz veggie
    For dinner they split 2 tbsp cereal with 4oz veggie AND 4oz fruit

Their pedi said let them eat as much solids as they want as long as it does not affect their milk intake.