how much do the twins cost monthly?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by w101ttd, Mar 15, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I am wondering how much the twins will cost monthly besides daycare cost? I plan on breastfeed them as long as I can. I will bump when I return back to work. But if it wont work out. I will bf in the morning and at night, and fomula feed during the day. Do you ladies have any idea? Thanks!

2. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Well double diapers, wipes, formula-approx 150-175 a month? When i found out I was having twins, I started stocking up. I bought tons of diapers in every size, I bought a store out of formula because it was on sale. My girls are 4.5 months and I have yet to run out of anything. Easier to buy things when you have a steady income. Mat leave pay is a joke.

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

It all depends on your children I think. Mine cost us a lot because they have to be on special formula which runs us around $400 a month. I switched to cloth diapers to save some money there and I made my own babyfood to save some money there too. I also made reuseable wipes so I save money there too. They are also on a bunch of medications and vitamins that aren't covered by our drug plans so that costs a pretty penny too. I think that there are a few ways you can find to cut the costs but if you buy everything it adds up really fast!

4. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

I would say it all depends on your parenting style.

I plan to breastfeed for as long as possible (ideally at least a year so we can skip the formula all together)

I'm cloth diapering so I spent 150 dollars for the NB-3 month diapers and About 200 for the 3 months to 9 month diapers. So only about 350 a for 9 months there

I make my own baby food so not much extra cost there other than cost of more food.

I'm lucky enough not to have to do daycare so I don't have to worry about that cost.

Good luck!

5. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

Well we barely make the cut off for WIC, so formula cost is not a worry for us. However, I know they go through about 16 cans together every month so at about $15/can of their Neosure, it'd cost us around $240/month give or take. They still aren't eating baby food too well, but I know the wic checks are about $60 total for the month for baby food/baby cereal.

We go through about 1 1/2 boxes of diapers a month @ $40/box.. so that's like $60 and only a box of wipes a month @ $15/box.

I guess that's about $375/month for formula, baby cereal, baby food, diapers, & wipes. But luckily, we only pay about $75/month because of WIC

I tried breast feeding for the first 4 months, but unfortunately my little guys just never learned how to latch on. They were 29 weekers though. The first 2 months they ONLY had breast milk, then right before being discharged from the NICU I got mastitis and my supply dramatically dropped & never came back up. It was a fight that I lost. Then 2 months old- 4 months old it was about 1/2 formula & 1/2 breast milk. Now months 4 - almost 8 it's been all formula.

6. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Ours were one both breastmilk and formula. We used generic (kirkland)diapers, wipes and formula. It was about 200$ a month.

7. Haley'sHope

Haley'sHope Well-Known Member

I agree that it largely depends on the needs of your baby. My singleton was way more expensive as an infant than the twins because he required RX formula that was $60 a can, prevacid, therapy, a helmet, numerous RXs, hospitalization, etc. I did make my own baby food (mostly because of his special dietary needs) and it is super easy and saves a ton. I even had DH help some and it was something we did together & chatted during (hey, couple time is couple time!). We also stocked up in advance on things. One suggestion is if anyone at work talks about wanting to do something for you or throw a shower, suggest a diaper shower to them. You can never have too many diapers & if you get a brand or size that won't work for you then you can exchange them without a receipt at Wal-Mart. Also, this won't necessarily save you $ since they aren't any cheaper than Wal-Mart (the prices are the same usually), but Diapers.com will ship diapers, wipes, etc. to your house if you order more than $50 which saves you a ton of hassle, which is just as important as money! I order all of our diapers, wipes, DG refills, etc. through them just to save myself the hassle of having to go to the store.

8. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thanks alot ladies. You all made me less nervous haha. We prepared for 1 kid. Now we have 2. I definitely will make my own baby food. Diaper shower sounds like a excellent idea. Thanks!

9. SabrinaKeep1

SabrinaKeep1 Well-Known Member

It is difficult to say. There are so many things to buy:) By the way if you have some financial difficulties, how do you solve them? Let's share our experience!

10. JessyN

JessyN Well-Known Member

I agree with you! There are so many different expenses. Talking about financial difficulties I have credit card and I usually use it when I need additional money. If you don't have credit card you can use another variant, it is online loan. All is very simple, you just need to fill the form for example on https://cashwagon.ph/ and wait for approval.