How much do you pay for preschool?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mrsfussypants, May 8, 2008.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

We spent the last week in Chicago looking at houses and getting a feel for the area where we'll be living. I also wanted to find a preschool for my DS who was already signed up for one next fall. I found a preschool near where we want to live and I went in to get some more information. The place was really nice and they had a fancy pamphlet and all. When I saw the price though I almost died. $130 a WEEK for two days 8:30-12:30. Holy moses. The preschool we were going to attend here cost $50 a MONTH. I know there has to be a happy medium somewhere! What are you paying for preschool and how many days a week are your kids enrolled?

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I looked at a few around here and would say the average is 1,500 for the year. 130 a week is high! Do they give them breakfast and lunch (and a dinner to take home!)?

3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My girls are going next fall and it is 150$ a month ( for both, so 75$ each) for two 1/2 days ( 9-11:30). It is through the local school district. I looked at some 'private' ones and they started at 300$ a month for both girls (150 each)....OUCH! The local Montessori was almost $1,000 a month for both girls (500 each)....all 2 days a week half day programs.

Luckily, we got in the local school district (waiting list and can be hard to get into due to high demand) for 2 spots....mostly the classes fill w/ younger 'siblings' of students there already (they get priority).

I was in sticker shock as well...for a mere 5-6 hours it is hundreds of dollars! YIKES! We did find a local church run one that was 1 1/2 day a week- 50$ for a season (2 seasons a year Sep- June)..but I really wanted 2 day a week.

KC

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

If I had to pay for it, it would definitely have to wait. I can't believe how high some of them cost.

My kids will start headstart in Sept. which is basically the same as preschool, and its free. A bus comes to the house and gets them. They are SO excited. They can't wait to ride the bus.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Because we are in EI (Early Intervention for speech) our preschool is free. We would have waited a year had we had to pay for it ourselves. I think we figured it to be about $750 per semester (2 semesters - 2x week). Have you looked at places such as churches who host preschools? I know my brothers attended one at the local Baptist church, even though we are Catholic.

6. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

RIght now I pay $95/month per child for 2 days a week (9:30-12:30). The tuition is going up next year. I think the same schedule (2 mornings) is going up to $120/month next year.

7. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We pay by the school year, mid-August to mid-May.

Last year, Nadia went two mornings a week from 9am-1pm. It was about $2,500 for the year.

This year, she went three mornings a week, also from 9am - 1pm. It was about $3,700.

In the fall, she'll go four mornings, and it's about $4,900.

This is a NAEYC-accredited school run by a local Methodist church....but a little different, because they have school through the 12th grade. It's a bit more expensive than other schools in our area, but not by much.

(After that, we're looking at private school, but the place we really want starts at $14,000 for kindergarten, and only goes up from there. And, no sibling discounts. Talk about sticker shock! But all the good private schools in Atlanta have similar tuition.)

8. mrsfussypants

QUOTE(JicJac @ May 9 2008, 02:34 AM) [snapback]763738[/snapback]
    Because we are in EI (Early Intervention for speech) our preschool is free. We would have waited a year had we had to pay for it ourselves. I think we figured it to be about $750 per semester (2 semesters - 2x week). Have you looked at places such as churches who host preschools? I know my brothers attended one at the local Baptist church, even though we are Catholic.

I haven't checked into other options yet. I just happened to see that one preschool and stopped in for some information. The hunt will definitely be on for some other alternatives now.

I'm glad to hear that 130 bucks a week is considered high. I thought that might be the going rate in the Chicago area! Phew!

9. mrsfussypants

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 9 2008, 02:12 AM) [snapback]763709[/snapback]
    I looked at a few around here and would say the average is 1,500 for the year. 130 a week is high! Do they give them breakfast and lunch (and a dinner to take home!)?

Hmmm, the brochure didn't mention take-home dinners...but I vote that be included in the price! Thanks for the average cost...that helps!

Reyna

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

For my 3 year old, we pay $225 per month. Two days per week 9-2pm bring your own lunch.

11. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Marcus' preschool was physically in the local Presbeteryan church, but it was not affiliated with the church, they just shared the space. For the 3 year old program, 2 1/2 days a week, was around $1100 for the year, the 4 year old program which was 3 1/2 days a week was about $1400 for the year--both were 9 month programs, so the first was about $120 a month, and the 4 year old program, around $150 a month.

One thing to keep in mind is that Marc's school was a non-profit, so they were a bit lower since they didn't have to make a profit--actually, any profit was given over to the church as "rent" for the year.

12. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i'm going to cry

most of the good preschools on the westside of LA are b/t 8k and 10k a year for PART TIME PROGRAMS...5 days per week/3 hours

there is a co-op, which is affordable, but parents have to volunteer 1 day per month, in our case that would be 2 days per month!

we did find one program that is about 10k a year, but it offers full day.

13. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

We live in the suburbs of Chicago and last fall when the girls were 2 1/2 we started them at a preschool, just on Fridays from 8:45-10:45 and pay of total of $140 a month. We have enrolled them there for the fall and are going to 3 days a week, same start time but they don't get out until 11:15 and it will be $350/month.

14. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

Next year my kids are going MWF from 8:45-12:45 and we will pay $365/month. There is a 10% discount for the 2nd child. It's a lot, but we use our tax return to pay in full at the beginning of the year and end up getting another 5% discount for that.

15. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are sending our kids to a preschool at a Congregational church nearby, but the curriculum is not religion based. We will be paying $235/month for both of them for 2 mornings a week. The public school was a little bit more because we didn't qualify for a discount there (both parents have to be working). My niece did go there for free because she had Early Intervention. The Catholic pre-school was much more expensive. I think you will find that a lot of the "centers" that have pre-school are more expensive than the churches, etc that have them.

16. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

In Florida we have the VPK (Voluntary Pre-K) program. All 4 yr olds (those who are age eligble to start Kindergarten the following fall) have access to FREE pre-k. It consists of 5 half days per week. Many daycares (including mine) are part of the program, it has a state mandated academic agenda and the state monitors attendance. In return I get a break on my daycare (the state subsidy cuts my full day costs.) So I would have to say that mine costs $-45.00 (that's negative $45) per week. The program is terrific, when I went for Kindergaten Roundup a few weeks ago I was looking at what the Kindergarteners were doing now and Micah is at the same level (maybe even a little ahead) as the kids who are in K now.

17. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

Our private preschool will be $405 for all 3 per month next year. The babies will go 2 days a week 9-12 & my big girl will go 4 days. It's crazy to me, but, as a pp mentioned, private school prices around here (ATL) are nuts! My old private highschool charges $16,000 for PreFirst!!!

18. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I believe we paid about $1800 per child this year for them to go two mornings a week (Sept through early June). Next year, they are going five mornings and it will be in the $8K range (for both) for the school year. This is a nursery school affiliated with my synogogue in the DC metro area. I believe the cost was right in line with the other part time programs. The full time ones would cost around $30K or so. It's definitely not cheap considering I still have to cover daycare in the afternoons.

19. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Berkley's Montessori was about $450/month for 3- 1/2 days/week a few years ago.

The boys go to a NAEYC accredited preschool at a chruch and it's $300/month each for 2.5 days/week, but I get a $20 discount for the extra child so it's $580/month.
    That's less than half what I'd pay if I put them in the Montessori school Berk went to.

You couldn't get anything here for $50/month.

20. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

oh and it'll be $1200/month if I want them to go to the PUBLIC school's PreK program next year, that will be for 2 of them 5 full days though.

21. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

DS1 attends preschool at the community college. We pay $41 a day. We get billed monthly so it is different every month. We also only pay the days we are scheduled for (no holidays, breaks, etc.). They don't have a fee schedule for half day but that is all he goes 8am-12pm.
    We pay pretty much in the middle for around here. Most places around here when I was looking a year ago went something like this per month:
    2 half days $180-$280
    2 full days $395-$485
    3 half days $245-$332
    3 full days $544-$675
    *Thought I would post that for my local OCers. I am sure the prices have gone up at least 10% from last year.

Right now I just have DS1 in but we are going to wait until he is out a preschool to send the twins because then it would be x2.

22. Vero

Vero Well-Known Member

QUOTE(akameme @ May 8 2008, 08:37 PM) [snapback]763842[/snapback]
    i'm going to cry

most of the good preschools on the westside of LA are b/t 8k and 10k a year for PART TIME PROGRAMS...5 days per week/3 hours

Miriam, I'm with you - :(
    I looked into putting the girls in school next year when they turn 2 years old and since several places have a waiting list - I started getting information..............it's crazy that there's a waiting list. :umm:
    I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County border and work in Orange County and I can't seem to find a preschool cheaper than $900.00 a MONTH for 2 Days and yes, half day only. THIS IS CRAZY!!!!! :nea:

23. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

My two go to preschool Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-12 and it costs $160 per child with a $10 discount for the second child. So we pay $310 per month.

The three day a week program Mon, Wed, Fri from 9-12 costs $230 per month per kid with a $10 discount for the second child.

This is a church-related preschool and was one of the cheapest I found in North Orange County (California), and the program is really top notch.

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Amanda @ May 9 2008, 11:01 AM) [snapback]764308[/snapback]
    oh and it'll be $1200/month if I want them to go to the PUBLIC school's PreK program next year, that will be for 2 of them 5 full days though.

Wow, Amanda!!! That is CRAZY!!

I had looked at sending them to the pre-school classes at the daycare we used to go to. I think it would have cost me about $400-500 a month for 2 mornings.

25. HT

HT Well-Known Member

$120 a month for 2x a week

26. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Just want to note that there is a reason most public school pre-K programs cost (I didn't do the one here because it had only one class and was too expensive). But the programs are contracted out--they do it so they can have "typical kids" for the special needs kids to integrate with. Ours is run by Catholic Charities--NOT the school itself, even though it is housed in the school.

27. carilberry

carilberry Well-Known Member

We pay $115/mo for 2 days a week 9-11:30AM for our oldest DD. For 3 days a week it will go up to $145. When she is in Kindergarten, we will put the twins in 2 days a week at $115 for one and $105 for the other. Ugh....I don't even want to think about that!

28. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

our public school preschool is run by the school.
    The reason ours is so pricey is becausepublic school's aren't obligated to offer a preschool so there's ZERO state funding for it really. Also, we've been a Robin Hood state {steal from the rich. . . } for a while and are paying dearly for it.
    Our kids have to 'pay to play' sports now because the state takes so much $ from us, the HS kids have to pay to park at the shchool, but conversely most students also have to pay to ride the bus, etc. . . .

29. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

We will be going to a private school- $120/mo per child for 2.5 hours twice weekly (total of 5 hours/wk). It is the same price for the public preschools in our district- $120 mo for 5 hrs wk.

30. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

Mine are at a private pre-school 2 full days a week and it costs me $838.50 a month for the 2. I work so I am able to deduct the annual amount from our taxes and the total for the year was just under $10,000. I am looking forward to kindergarten!

31. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mrsfussypants @ May 8 2008, 09:58 PM) [snapback]763690[/snapback]
    We spent the last week in Chicago looking at houses and getting a feel for the area where we'll be living. I also wanted to find a preschool for my DS who was already signed up for one next fall. I found a preschool near where we want to live and I went in to get some more information. The place was really nice and they had a fancy pamphlet and all. When I saw the price though I almost died. $130 a WEEK for two days 8:30-12:30. Holy moses. The preschool we were going to attend here cost $50 a MONTH. I know there has to be a happy medium somewhere! What are you paying for preschool and how many days a week are your kids enrolled?

I live outside of 'Chicago' on the South side suburban. I just thought you may want this information since I am an organizator for my twins group and have to keep update w/information onto our site. Here what I have collected locally area and cost of tuition. I hope this helps!

If you are sending your child to any preschool this coming Fall 2008/2009. I would strongly suggest to call and ask for a tour of the preschool as quickly as possible.

2008-2009 Preschool Listing:

Apple Tree Preschool
    24020 West Fraser Rd, Plainfield
    815-436-9109
    Site: www.appletreepreschool.org
    Ages: 3-6 yrs old
    Must be 3 by Sept. 1st for 3-4 yrs old class
    Must be 4 by Sept. 1st for 4-5 yrs old class
    Days/Hours: Offering 2/3 conseecutive 1/2 day sessions
    For 3-4 yrs old class (2 days per week)
    For 4-5 yrs old class (opt 2 or 3 days per week)
    Monday through Friday (9:00 AM to 11:30 AM) and (12:30 PM to 3:00 PM)
    Limit: 16 children in each class, 1 teacher and 1 aide per class
    Toliet training: Necessary
    Application fees: $75 dollars non-refundable
    3-Day Class $180.00 per month
    2-Day Class $125.00 per month

This school has been successful and may not have enough room for all of the children. The Apple Tree Board has recommended that a lottery system be used to determine for registration 2008-2009. If you are very interest in this school. Please note that in order to be eligible they must received your application NO LATER THAN Tuesday, January 29th.

Peaceful Hearts Christian Preschool
    24024 W. Main Street (Rt. 126, Plainfield)
    Phone: 815-436-6380
    Space is still available for 2007-2008 School Year
    Note: Registration begins in January for 2008-2009
    Pre-Kindergarten classes for 4 and 5 yrs old (M/W/F at 9:00 to 11:30 AM) or (M/T/W/TH at 12:30 to 3:00 PM)
    Preschool for 3 yrs old (T/TH at 9:00 to 11:30 AM)
    Blended Class 3/4 yrs old (T/W/TH at 12:30 to 3:00 PM)
    Exploration Station for 3/4 yrs old (Friday at 12:30 to 3:00 PM
    Prices: ??

Montessori of Plainfield (INSANE!)
    23616 West Main Street, Plainfield
    815-254-0136
    Registration fees: $100 per family (non-refundable)
    Tuition: Distributed in 10 payments. The first due is w/application and 9 remaining payments due Sept. 1, 2008 thru May 1, 2009
    Discount: 10% second child, 20% third child and 5% if tuition is paid in full by 7/1/08
    Morning:
    8:45 to 11:45 AM (3 hrs)
    8:50 to 11:50 AM (3 hrs)
    9:00 to 12:00 PM (3 hrs)
    Mon thru Friday (5 days per week)

Afternoon:
    Opt 1: 12:40 to 3:10 PM 2-1/2 hrs (Mon thru Thurs)
    $299 per payment ($2,987 annual)

Opt 2: 12:40 to 3:10 PM (2-1/2 hrs (Mon thru Wed)
    $257 per payment ($2,575 annual)

All Day Kindergarten:
    9:00 to 2:15 PM (Mon thru Thurs)
    Additional $168 per payment ($1,679.00 annual)

Extended Day:
    12:00 to 2:00 PM (3 days)
    Tues: Science Discoveries, Wed: Art Appreciation, and Thurs: Phonics Fun

Late charges:
    $20 fee for payment received 2 days after 1st of the month
    $25 fee will incurred per child on all NSF checks
    $5 fee for every 10 minutes past scheduled pick-up time (YIKE!!)

Plainfield Jr. Village (Excellent)
    If interest, call ASAP for registration!
    13250 So. Rt 59, Suite 1, Plainfield
    815-439-3556

2-1/2 hrs Preschool
    Children 3 to 5 yrs
    Three Days M/W/F
    2 Days T/TH
    9:15 AM to 11:45 AM
    12:45 to 3:15 PM

Full Day Preschool
    Children 3 yrs to 5 yrs
    7:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Chesterbrook
    813 River Rd, Shorewood
    815-577-2695
    School Year 2007-2008
    Registation Effective Date: July, 2007
    Tuition Rates/Schedules
    Full or Half Day (call them)
    Tutition Rates:
    Toddlers Full-Day, 5 days $250
    Toddlers, Full-day 3 days $198
    Toddlers, Full-day 2 days $157
    N/A for Toddlers for Half-day

Zion Lutheran Church & Preschool (Excellent)
    11007 S. Book Road, Naperville
    Site: www.zionnaperville.org
    Ph: 815-886-1505

Parent's Day
    Tuition Per Month:
    1 Day a week session $85 a month
    2 Day a week session $165 a month
    Schedule:
    M/T/W/Th/Fri 9:00 to 11:30 AM
    T/Th, 12:30 to 3:00 PM*
    *Must be 3 rd old by Jan 1, 2008 for this class
    Admission: Children must be 2 yrs old by Sept 1st (if any of your child fall after that -- can call to see if space available). A child wish to attend T/Th afternoon must turn 3 by Jan 1st. A child does NOT have to be potty trained to attend class. A bathroom is located in the classroom for those children who are potty-trained. Teachers will change diapers when necessary.
    Registration fee: $100 for first child of a family, $75 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd child (non-refundable)

If anyone need information on Early Intervention.

Office Location:
    Will & Grundy Countries
    2300 Glenwood Ave
    Joliet, Il 60435
    Ph: 815-730-2617

32. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

wow! That's some fantastic info! Wish you had that for my suburb! LOL!

33. mrsfussypants

QUOTE(Sullyirishtwins @ May 10 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]765663[/snapback]
    I live outside of 'Chicago' on the South side suburban. I just thought you may want this information since I am an organizator for my twins group and have to keep update w/information onto our site. Here what I have collected locally area and cost of tuition. I hope this helps!

If you are sending your child to any preschool this coming Fall 2008/2009. I would strongly suggest to call and ask for a tour of the preschool as quickly as possible.

2008-2009 Preschool Listing:

Apple Tree Preschool
    24020 West Fraser Rd, Plainfield
    815-436-9109
    Site: www.appletreepreschool.org
    Ages: 3-6 yrs old
    Must be 3 by Sept. 1st for 3-4 yrs old class
    Must be 4 by Sept. 1st for 4-5 yrs old class
    Days/Hours: Offering 2/3 conseecutive 1/2 day sessions
    For 3-4 yrs old class (2 days per week)
    For 4-5 yrs old class (opt 2 or 3 days per week)
    Monday through Friday (9:00 AM to 11:30 AM) and (12:30 PM to 3:00 PM)
    Limit: 16 children in each class, 1 teacher and 1 aide per class
    Toliet training: Necessary
    Application fees: $75 dollars non-refundable
    3-Day Class $180.00 per month
    2-Day Class $125.00 per month

This school has been successful and may not have enough room for all of the children. The Apple Tree Board has recommended that a lottery system be used to determine for registration 2008-2009. If you are very interest in this school. Please note that in order to be eligible they must received your application NO LATER THAN Tuesday, January 29th.

Peaceful Hearts Christian Preschool
    24024 W. Main Street (Rt. 126, Plainfield)
    Phone: 815-436-6380
    Space is still available for 2007-2008 School Year
    Note: Registration begins in January for 2008-2009
    Pre-Kindergarten classes for 4 and 5 yrs old (M/W/F at 9:00 to 11:30 AM) or (M/T/W/TH at 12:30 to 3:00 PM)
    Preschool for 3 yrs old (T/TH at 9:00 to 11:30 AM)
    Blended Class 3/4 yrs old (T/W/TH at 12:30 to 3:00 PM)
    Exploration Station for 3/4 yrs old (Friday at 12:30 to 3:00 PM

Montessori of Plainfield (INSANE!)
    23616 West Main Street, Plainfield
    815-254-0136
    Registration fees: $100 per family (non-refundable)
    Tuition: Distributed in 10 payments. The first due is w/application and 9 remaining payments due Sept. 1, 2008 thru May 1, 2009
    Discount: 10% second child, 20% third child and 5% if tuition is paid in full by 7/1/08
    Morning:
    8:45 to 11:45 AM (3 hrs)
    8:50 to 11:50 AM (3 hrs)
    9:00 to 12:00 PM (3 hrs)
    Mon thru Friday (5 days per week)

Afternoon:
    Opt 1: 12:40 to 3:10 PM 2-1/2 hrs (Mon thru Thurs)
    $299 per payment ($2,987 annual)

Opt 2: 12:40 to 3:10 PM (2-1/2 hrs (Mon thru Wed)
    $257 per payment ($2,575 annual)

All Day Kindergarten:
    9:00 to 2:15 PM (Mon thru Thurs)
    Additional $168 per payment ($1,679.00 annual)

Extended Day:
    12:00 to 2:00 PM (3 days)
    Tues: Science Discoveries, Wed: Art Appreciation, and Thurs: Phonics Fun

Late charges:
    $20 fee for payment received 2 days after 1st of the month
    $25 fee will incurred per child on all NSF checks
    $5 fee for every 10 minutes past scheduled pick-up time (YIKE!!)
    Plainfield Jr. Village (Excellent)
    If interest, call ASAP for registration!
    13250 So. Rt 59, Suite 1, Plainfield
    815-439-3556

2-1/2 hrs Preschool
    Children 3 to 5 yrs
    Three Days M/W/F
    2 Days T/TH
    9:15 AM to 11:45 AM
    12:45 to 3:15 PM

Full Day Preschool
    Children 3 yrs to 5 yrs
    7:00 AM to 6:00 PM
    Chesterbrook
    813 River Rd, Shorewood
    815-577-2695
    School Year 2007-2008
    Registation Effective Date: July, 2007
    Tuition Rates/Schedules
    Full or Half Day (call them)
    Tutition Rates:
    Toddlers Full-Day, 5 days $250
    Toddlers, Full-day 3 days $198
    Toddlers, Full-day 2 days $157
    N/A for Toddlers for Half-day
    Zion Lutheran Church & Preschool (Excellent)
    11007 S. Book Road, Naperville
    Site: www.zionnaperville.org
    Ph: 815-886-1505

Parent's Day
    Tuition Per Month:
    1 Day a week session $85 a month
    2 Day a week session $165 a month
    Schedule:
    M/T/W/Th/Fri 9:00 to 11:30 AM
    T/Th, 12:30 to 3:00 PM*
    *Must be 3 rd old by Jan 1, 2008 for this class
    Admission: Children must be 2 yrs old by Sept 1st (if any of your child fall after that -- can call to see if space available). A child wish to attend T/Th afternoon must turn 3 by Jan 1st. A child does NOT have to be potty trained to attend class. A bathroom is located in the classroom for those children who are potty-trained. Teachers will change diapers when necessary.
    Registration fee: $100 for first child of a family, $75 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd child (non-refundable)

If anyone need information on Early Intervention.

Office Location:
    Will & Grundy Countries
    2300 Glenwood Ave
    Joliet, Il 60435
    Ph: 815-730-2617

Thank you SO much for that information. Incredibly nice of you and extremely helpful!

Reyna

34. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We start in the fall. It is $150 a month, per child (so $300 total per month), for two days a week, 9am-12pm.

35. matwetwins

matwetwins Well-Known Member

I am sitting here with my mouth open wide shocked at how much some pre-schools cost for 2X per week. Currently I have the boys in preschool 2X/week and It costs $87/mo each for a total of $174/mo. In Sept it will go up to $110.mo each for $220/mo. There is no discount for a second child. This is the exact same cost as the other pre-schools in my small city. However we live near a large city and most people I know still pay $100-$150/mo per child. And I think that is high. There would be no way we could afford for them to go if it was over $150/mo.