How much does your 2.5yo talk?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lharrison1, Sep 3, 2010.

1. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have calls in to Parents as Teachers and also EI.
    I am trying to be proactive as opposed to ignoring it.

My daughter Reese doesnt talk nearly as well as her twin brother, or any of the kids in her age group at daycare.
    She does have words though so I am not sure if its just taking her a little longer or if I really do need to get her help.
    She can say things like 'blanky....where are you' when searching for her blanky.
    or
    'Mama, I thirsty', or 'I want a dink' (drink).
    She's knows names of people/family/pets etc...
    But when it comes to things like-me saying 'hey Reese what animals did you see at the zoo today?' I get nothing.
    Or if I say 'what did you do today?' She'll answer with 'good'.
    She also hits alot at daycare and I am thinking it has to do with not being able to express herself with words.
    I can tell you that timeouts really dont affect her, she doesnt get upset and doesnt seem to learn from it.

She has excellent gross and fine motor skills so not behind at all in that sense.

So based on just that little bit of information what do you all think?
    Is she normal-ish and just needs more time or is she pretty behind and needs help?

Her twin brother can speak in short sentences and pretty much converse with you. That seems more normal to me at this age. :pardon:

Also, her daycare provider has suggested speech delay concerns, however my husband thinks she is just fine and is just developing at a different pace.

I am so frustrated and dont know what is normal, what to do...who to listen too. :headbang:

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My two are 6 months behind in speech and had their evaluation last week.

At 2.5 they are supposed to know 50+ words, talk in 3 word sentences, and use pronouns. So it seems that if she's delayed, it's not by much, she'll probably just need a bit more confidence to talk more.

3. lharrison1

Thank you.

I guess to be exact, she is almost 2.8yo...not sure how much difference that should make.

I guess maybe its her comprhension I have concerns with too...grrrr I dont know, something seems off to me but also its hard to not compare her to her brother.

I guess I will just have her evaluated and move on from there.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah it never hurts!

5. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my girls were late talkers! i didn't put them in therapy, but the last 2 months or so, their language finally started to explode.
    i wish i had advice for you :( hmm... maybe if she hits, try telling her, "use your words, reese." (or have her daycare provider tell her that)...? maybe it'll get her to dig deeper to find those words... i'm prolly not making sense lol
    it's great that you're being proactive about it!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lesley, I don't think it can hurt to have her evaluated, especially if you do have concerns. Good luck!

7. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

It never hurts to have an evaluation done, it sounds like you are mostly concerned about her receptive language skills, and an SLP from your local EI program can definitely assess for a delay there.

My boys are 2yrs 8mths and sound more like your DS. They carry on pretty long conversations with myself and others. But I get some strange answers when I ask them questions like, "What did you do today?", too. Open-ended questions are difficult at this age, I think. :)

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

That is very true. My twins were speech delayed and E is behind. They are all in Speech (EI). I agree with the PP that if she is delayed, it's not by much. It certainly doesn't hurt to get her evaluated. :hug:

9. heybabalou

heybabalou Well-Known Member

I would say if she is delayed it is not by much. Both my boys were speech delayed and one still is. He didn't even START talking until 2.5! I have also heard 50 words by 2 years old, 3 word sentences by 3 years old. I have been worried at times because my twins are not "conversational" yet (see my recent post) but many professionals have told me that there is a pretty wide range at these ages.

10. lharrison1

Thank you everyone-just a little update...
    Both of them had their binki pretty much whenever they wanted them and for the past week we have taken them except for naps and bedtime and in just one week Reese is talking so much more...I did not think that was part of the issue because Ryder had his and he talks well but apparently it was an issue for Reese.
    I did go ahead and schedule EI to meet with me on the 29th but I am hoping you are all right that if she is behind its only a little and we can help her get caught up.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:thanks: for the update Lesley! Keep us posted!

12. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

awesome news!

13. samiam1229

samiam1229 Well-Known Member

Our ped. had a lot of concerns requarding Thomas, but otherwise he is brilliant. They sent him for hearing analysis. They were inconclusive and wanted to do a brain scan while he was under anestesia (sp?), I said no.

Then she sent me for different testing at another facility. His hearing was fine. Wanted me to go 2 hours away for speech analysis. I said no.

6 months later, he talks like crazy, but only if he wants to. He is not always the easiest to understand, but he does talk. I think they really push for everyone with the slightest delay to get checked. But I went with my own intuition...