How much formula with solids?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twingrandma, May 19, 2010.

1. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

We are doing 3 solid meals a day now. The boys each eat 2 2nd stage jars a piece, but they have cut back on the formula they are taking. I would average now that they drink about 21 ounces a day, and they do that in 3 bottles. Thay also have very watered down juice in the sippie cups with lunch and then some in the afternoon. Is this enough formula for them? I can't get them to take more and they definatly want to eat the solids now. More than taking a bottle.

2. mwarner

mwarner Active Member

I am in the same boat. My 6.5 MO girls will only take 20-25 oz per day of formula (in 4 bottles). But they LOVE their solids, so in order to make sure they are getting enough calories, we decided to give them solids with each of their bottles. They get rice, oats or barley cereal at 3 of those meals, and a veggie at the other one. We make the cereal fairly runny, to try and get formula into them that way.

I have been worried that they are not drinking enough formula, but they are growing just fine (about 17 lbs each) and are healthy, so I have recently decided to stop stressing about it.

Our paediatrician says they should eat about 2 oz of formula per pound, but there's just no way they'll do that.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I think that sounds fine. As long as they are growing well and gaining then I would go with what works. Towards the end of the first year they start dropping their liquid intake and start taking on more solids. Keep up the good work.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think the 2oz of formula per lb is when they are younger, their max intake should be between 24-36 oz or so. But as Rachel said towards the end of the second year that intake will start to dwindle as solids take over the bulk of their nutrition.

At 9 months mine got 3 8oz bottles a day, and 2-3 meals a day, so at most they were getting 24 oz's of formula but only if they drained all their bottles, which they didn't always do.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

It is according to my pedi. I just asked the same question as one of my boys do not take more than 21 oz of formula a day if it was enough for him? She said 18-22 oz a day is fine.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it sounds fine! They will definitely start dropping formula intake as they get closer to the end of the first year, as long as they are getting in around 20 ounces, I wouldn't worry at all. Sounds like they are doing great!