how much formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Aug 6, 2010.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I have a formula question as well. My girls were born this past Monday at 37wks. They eat every 3-4hours. The hospital wanted them eating 1oz per bottle by the time they left. We were released on Wednesday. Allie takes 1-2ozs per bottle and Maddie takes about an 1oz. Occasionally she will go past an ounce. They each lost 6ozs before we left. I have a home nurse coming today to remove my c/s staples and check the babies. I am just wondering if I am going to hear it that she isn't eating anymore than when we left. To me that's good because I just keep reminding myself their tummies are so tiny right now. But it just seems like the doctors/nurses expect them to come out and just start drinking massive amounts of formula. Just curious if this sounds about right for just four days old?????

2. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Hi there! I remember all too well those first few days when everything was a little scary! Honestly, in restrospect, I realize that your baby can only eat as much as he or she can. So if they can take more give it but if not, then you feed a little more often. For example, our DS was eating 1 oz or so with great difficulty those first few weeks and yet our DD by the time she was nearly 2 months was having a HUGE growth spurt and would eat like 4-6 oz (which is unusual for a baby of her age) but that's what she wanted.

As long as they start gaining their weight back, things should be fine. We bought a baby scale just to keep track. I didn't want to go nuts with the thing but it gave me an idea if we were on the right track. Now at nearly 7 months we use it once in a blue moon for fun to see how heavy they are :)

GL

3. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

My girls stayed with the 1oz for the first week then moved to 2 at about 3wks and at 6wks (and for the past couple weeks) are now drinking 2-3oz and every once in a while they will want up to 4oz (but very rarely). I now fill the bottle to 3oz and about 50% of the time are drinking the whole thing. My girls are on a 3-4 hour schedule too. I think you are doing just fine. I had a post yesterday too about their drinking habits (since I was worried about how they drink 3oz and sometimes only 2 or 2.5). These first few weeks are soooo confusing!! Good luck!

4. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34w5d. We too were pushed to have them eat 1-2 ounces at a time. But we fed every 3 hours, like clockwork, around the clock, sometimes a little sooner if they were fussy. Their stomachs are so tiny, they can't hold much. My little girl had awful reflux too, so she puked up a lot of her food, so she ate closer to 2-2.5 hours between feeds.

Hope this helps. Those first weeks are hard. Now I think they eat too much at 9 months, lol!

5. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing great mama! Mine were born at 36 weeks and they left the hospital drinking 1oz. We moved up to 2oz at about 1 1/2 weeks and by 3 weeks they were taking 3oz. They were at 3oz for a couple weeks and they stayed at 4 oz for about a month. They are now taking anywhere from 4-6oz, depending on how hungry they are. I was actually told I was feeding them too much, but I let the babies decide how much they wanted. We have always been on an every 3-4 hour schedule.

Try not to let the whole feeding thing freak you out because I stressed needlessly about it for weeks. The babies will let you know how much they want and every child is different. As long as they are gaining weight and have enough wet and dirty diapers, you're doing fine. GL!

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies!! Even after three children it's still easy to get all worked up over feedings and schedules. I think I have figured out one issue. The nipple is too slow for them. This morning at her morning bottle Maddie was just sucking away. I stopped so I could burp her thinking she had to have drank at least an ounce and it barely under the 2oz (where we started) mark. So I tried a medium flow nipple at the next feeding and she took it easier and was a lot more content afterwards.

7. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I remember the rule of thumb was if they want to eat more than every 1.5-2 hrs than they probably aren't getting enough during their feedings. If your babies are still eating every 3-4 hours you are doing great!! That is all they need. Remember some days or months they go crazy and eat, eat, eat...and other weeks they slow way down. It really depends on their growth spirts. Just stick to the rule of thumb and you'll be fine!