How much milk and how often?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by paulacraft1, Jun 29, 2009.

1. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

Ok we are getting rid of bottles....so far have successfully gotten rid of the two in the middle, the one before lunch and the one after their 2nd nap.
    here's the thing, they want their sippies all the time but if I give them to them all the time they do not eat solids:(
    They fill up on milk
    so when and how often do you do the sippies of milk?
    Any tips on getting rid of the am and nighttime bottles?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I give a premeasured sippy of milk (4-5oz) before breakfast, enough for them to drink but not enough to fill them up. They get full sippy of milk before bedtime (around 10oz)...the rest of the day is just water sippies. They will get cereal with milk and also a yogurt, cheese, and other dairy through the day.
    I thought dropping the AM and PM bottles would be hard but what DH & I did was after we dropped the afternoon bottles, we did one week where we dropped the AM bottle and the the next week the PM bottles. The kids did well with that. Good luck!

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine get sippies with milk and sometimes with the mid afternoon snack. Otherwise they have water all day.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do milk (6-8 oz) first thing in the morning, usually lasts until almost nap time (early nappers). Then they get free water/juice throughout the day and one last 4-6 oz sippy of milk after dinner.

5. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I do a 6 oz. sippy of milk with breakfast, lunch and dinner. They get a sippy of water with their snack in the afternoon. If they finish their milk and still act thirsty, I'll give water, but not normally.

6. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

I do two sippies per day. One 8 to 10 ounce first thing in the morning and another before bed time. During the course of the day the babies will have cream of wheat, yogurt of cheese, pureed fruit and what ever I cook for dinner. I also give them these apple puffs for a snack from time to time.

7. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

Mine get 5-6 ounces before breakfast and 5-6 ounces after their nap, around 5. It doesn't interfere with their meals at all. They still eat enough for any grown man!

As far as getting rid of the bottles, just do it. The kids will transition fine. Replace it with a sippy of milk and they'll be fine. You can eventually move the milk time to before dinner if you don't want them having milk before bed.