How Much Solids Do Your 9-12 Months Old Eat in a Day?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat mommy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I haven't been consistent with feeding them solids, but we are going to start working on that now and get into a schedule. Just trying to figure out how many ounces of fruit, veggies, meats, grains, milk products (not bm or formula) your babies are eating in a day.

The stage 2 food packages seem really big to me, so usually we just split one package between the two of them and then they have bottles too. But the box says that one serving is the entire package so I am not sure what to do.

Thanks!

2. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

I also split jars between the girls, and I swear they don't eat as much as my son did.

But, anyway, at 10 months old, this is what they eat:

7:30am - Split 4oz yogurt and have cheerios (sometimes they'll still be hungry and split another yogurt, but not often)

9am - 7oz bottle each

11:30am - Split 2 or 3 stage 2 (4oz size) foods - usually one meat, one veggie and one fruit, plus cheerios and a sippy of water

1pm - 7oz bottle each

4pm - 4oz bottle each

5:30pm - Split 2 or 3 stage 2 (4oz size) foods (or 1 stage 2 and 1 stage 3, which are 6oz) - usually one meat, one veggie and one fruit, plus cheerios and a sippy of water

7pm - 7oz bottle each

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Whatever works for you! I never measured anything, nor did I go by any guidelines. All kids are different. The boys were decent at solids. Annabella was a nightmare. She would clamp her mouth shut as soon as the spoon touched her lips.

For the boys, I would just eye cereal and feed it to them. If they ate it up, and seemed like they could eat more, I made a little more. As for fruits/veggies, I started off with one jar of fruit, one jar of veggie. If they ate that-great. If not, no big deal. I just found it impossible to feed them a set amount, because they were never consistent with what they ate. And to be honest, by the time nine months rolled around, my kids were all on table foods. It made life sooo much easier. They ate whatever it was we were eating for each meal, just cut up into tiny pieces.

As for bottles, they got 3-4 bottles at that age(Annabella was on four for a bit). The bottles were 6-7 oz each. So they were at the minimum for milk intake-I think 18-24 oz. I aimed for 24 oz or so with them on a daily basis.

Here's a link to some TS'ers schedules/feedings at that age: Schedules

4. bsteg

bsteg Member

My babies turned 10 months old on the August 14th. Here is what they eat: (keep in mind they share everything)

6:45 a.m.- 4 scoops dry baby cereal mixed with water and 1 stage 2 fruit plus tablefood ie. pancakes, waffles, diced fruit, yogurt melts, cheerios, cereal bar, etc. (I use a scoop from a formula container.)

8/8:30 a.m.- 6 oz bottle each

11:00 a.m.- 1 stage 3 meat/veg combo and 1 stage 2 vegetable plus tablefood ie graham crackers, little crunchies, etc.

12:30/1:00 p.m. - 8 oz bottle each

3:00 p.m. - yogurt mixed with 1 stage 2 fruit or cottage cheese

5:45 p.m. - 4 scoops dry baby cereal mixed with water and 1 stage 2 vegetable plus tablefood. Ususally whatever we are eating for dinner just cut up very small.

7:00 p.m. - 8 oz bottle each

I mix their cereal with water because one of my babies is on soy formula, the other is on regular milk-based formula. It is easier to feed them from the same bowl than to make two separate bowls. Our pediatrician told us to feed them the baby cereal twice a day until they were one year old and then to feed them cereal once a day until they turned two. They also get a sippy cup filled with water at each meal.

5. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

When mine were on purees, they ate a lot. By the end, they'd each eat about 6 oz per meal. Then they wouldn't let us feed, them, so we kinda started over with finger foods.
    Keep in mind we're still nursing about every 2 hours around the clock, but here's what we normally do - this is the "total" food, that I split between them:

Breakfast: Split a yogurt (5 ozish) and a piece of toast with puree spread on it
    Lunch: 4oz shredded roast beef, and 4oz of green peas and a baby mum mum crisp
    Snack: Bits of fruit - probably about 4oz
    Dinner: Sweet potato chunks and probably another fruit (hard to tell how much that is, but they'll also probably get some puffs or something afterward)

I try to get at least one high calorie food in (we spread the toast with coconut oil before topping it with puree), and one protein. I yield to fruits and veggies before carb laden stuff like puffs or cheerios.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were always really good eaters so I never really measured amounts. But I think at about 9 months they were eating 5 oz of whatever each meal. I was making mixes of things like ground beef with pureed vegetable or chicken with peaches and apples and freezing it in 1 oz cubes. Around 10 months they were transitioning over to finger foods, so I'd dice up sweet potato or fruit for them, give them shredded meat. I honestly didn't measure much because they were just eating all the time and growing well.

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Try this link. It is what I refer to when I have questions. If I'm still not clear, I call my doctor.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc?page=2&intcmp=article_nextpage_text&pn=Article%20page

8. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

This is our schedule today (11 months)

6.30 am 6-7 oz of formula
    9.00 am 3-4 oz of breakfast food each
    2 oz of yogurt each
    11.15am split 1 #3 jar of food (3oz each)
    usually 2-3 oz of homemade soup each
    some fingerfood, water
    long nap
    2.30 pm 6 oz of formula
    4.15 pm whatever I cook for dinner, they can have some (within reasonable limits)
    3 oz of no.3 food
    1 danonino each
    6.30 pm 6 oz of formula

Whenever they get homemade food, I don't measure the amount.