How much tenderness is normal?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BaaRamEwe, May 28, 2008.

1. BaaRamEwe

BaaRamEwe Well-Known Member

I don't remember my breasts being so sensitive when I was pumping for the twins. This time around, they always hurt. Is this normal and I just don't remember it or is something possibly wrong?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Are you talking your breasts or your nipples? I know when I feel my letdown with Evan, my breasts downright hurt! (never felt it with the twins) When the twins would latch, I'd get a pain that I describe as 'toe-curling.'

3. BaaRamEwe

I mean my breasts. I can't hardly even bare the thought of holding my twins because they might jab me and cause me great pain.

ETA: It is all the time, not just when I am BFing. They aren't as sore after a feeding, but still pretty painful.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Do you have a fever? I am understanding that it is both breasts, not just one, and the pain is spread all over, not just in one spot. (Sorry, just wanting to be clear!) I'm just have mastitis and clogged ducts on my mind. :hug99: The only other thing I thought was was mine were sore before I knew I was pregnant! :) I'm guessing that is not the case here! :)

5. jenniej

jenniej Well-Known Member

Mine have been mildly tender or sensitve pretty much the whole time I have nursed. I notice it if I go up and down stairs and I don't have a supportive enough bra. I suppose larger breasted women have this a lot - I never had any boobs before! Since we started to wean I would describe them as very sensitive in the one place I have had on/off clogged duct and mildly sensitive everywhere else. I don't think I have anything going on - just tender/sore breast tissue. Do you massage your breast while you feed/pump? I think the spot by the clog is tender because I have to beat on it from time to time to open it up so I think the tissue is a little bruised.

Any way - hope that helps.

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

So are you "full" when this pain occurs? Is it like engorgement?

7. BaaRamEwe

QUOTE(JicJac @ May 28 2008, 04:02 PM) [snapback]798108[/snapback]
    Do you have a fever? I am understanding that it is both breasts, not just one, and the pain is spread all over, not just in one spot. (Sorry, just wanting to be clear!) I'm just have mastitis and clogged ducts on my mind. :hug99: The only other thing I thought was was mine were sore before I knew I was pregnant! :) I'm guessing that is not the case here! :)

No fever that I know of. Yes, it is both breasts. The left more so than the right. I assume this is because I produce more milk on the left side because he latches on better on that side. Yes, it is all over. Mastitis and clogged ducts is what comes to my mind, but they have felt this way basically since coming home from the hospital, so I have just assumed that if it was one of the above, that things would have gotten worse. My breasts being sore is usually my first sign of pregnancy, but since it has been going on since pretty much birth, I doubt that's it.

QUOTE(excitedk @ May 29 2008, 08:09 PM) [snapback]800567[/snapback]
    So are you "full" when this pain occurs? Is it like engorgement?

No, it seems to be all the time, I never get terribly full. We had such issues nursing in the beginning that now I am battling trying to get my supply back up. ( We are actually having nursing sessions now that I don't have to give him a bottle afterwards. YAY!!) It doesn't really feel like engorement, it feels more like I am bruised.

Hope I made sense.

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

hmmmm, if they are not point tender, not red/streaky and you don't have a fever makes me think it is maybe your boobs being in overdrive making lots of yummy milk!!!
    You say it feels better after you feed, so that also makes me think that.

I would maybe try some heat before feeding just to cover for clogged ducts :)

9. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

My breasts have been sore the whole time I've been BF. They are the type of sore that they were when I was first pregnant...one of my first indicators that I was pregnant was sore breasts and that is how they've felt the whole time. I cringe at the thought of anyone bumping them.