How much trouble do your twins get into

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Just wondering how normal or abnormal my kids are... The house is mostly baby proofed but DS still manages to get into everything. We just found him playing on the coffee table with the mustard, lemon juice, and eggs that he stole from the fridge. Then he got into dh's laptop bag and got his work badge and other stuff... They still dump their dresser regularly. They wrote on the wallpaper with a pen that they somehow got hold of. They often get in my purse... They usually manage to pull something new every day, although DS is always the one who starts it (with a tendency to move bins or chairs so he can reach what he wants). They know they are not supposed to do it, but DS seems to have no self control whatsoever.

How much is too much?

2. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

if there's something new my one daughter will climb to get it. It's like I'm talking but she's not hearing me. I don't think its intentional I think she just is completely focused on what she's doing right then and doesn't hear me. And that makes me feel less frustrated/angry when I call her name 19292x and she doesn't respond or stop climbing onto the table for the salt shaker/pen/badge/book, etc.

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Sounds like my DS! We laugh (when we aren't :grr: ) that he is Dennis the Menance. He knows that he is not suppose to do certain things and he knows that there will be consequences and yet he does not care! I am constantly telling my DH that he is like talking to a *freakin'* wall. You never get much of a response from him because he just doesn't care. He is just too busy and into everything. :gah: It is totally his stubborn personality!

4. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Let me see.
    They made an 18 egg omelet on the floor at 25 months - on DH's birthday.
    When we moved to toddler beds, they spent their nap bathing their stuffed animals in the toilet (attached bathroom).
    One day while in the kitchen, DH saw the Xmas tree go by. They had decided to take it to their room.
    We lived on the 5th floor of an apartment building. The guard would come up periodically to return toys they had chucked out the window. Thank goodness the weeble wobbles never hit anyone.
    The plumber found 3 toys, including a weeble wobble, stuck in the "s" bend of the toilet.

So yes, despite baby proofing, they got into everything. Two toddler minds are more mischievous than one.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I can't do a whole lot of things and let them be on their own... otherwise mine are into everything too. We have a simple lock on the freezer, and I need to reinstall the fridge one I put up recently, that would take a lot of the issues out for them getting into those places.

we also had to remove the barstools from the room since the kitchen bar is the highest place, and for the main part they can't reach it, so I have a big junk pile up there... sometimes they move things over there so that they can reach it though...

if I want peace & quiet I get them to buckle into their booster seats and I turn on a video... I'm hoping if/when we get a train table or something that they'll be occupied for 30 min. at a time. otherwise now it seems that they are just into everything.

today, i'd hoped to get something done around the house.. but instead I barely got the dishwasher loaded and then just played with them all day. not a bad day, just unproductive as far as moving ahead with a to-do list!

6. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

My kiddos always have at least one pair of eyes on them...I am looking forward to the day when we can let down our guard, but for now, we are not taking any chances!!!

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

We are right there with you! I am glad to hear it's not just us. I see my friends with singletons who cook, clean, carry on conversations and I get a bit jealous...until I realize I have great stories!

The scariest moment for me was Ryan put a play shopping cart on a box to get the fruitbowl on the counts, his brother who NEVER does these things, later ran by the bathroom when I was with Ryan, with a very large knife that was put up I thought, high....when I saw him and screamed in my sternest voice..."christopher, put that down..." he turned around and laughed hysterically at me....ugh!

I tell my sister all these things, she has 11yr old twin boys...she told me to get used to it...it doesn't change as they get older!

And oh the IMAGERY...of the christmas tree! I snorted out loud, and woke my husband up over that one....thanks Mellizos!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing: There is a very good reason why markers in this house are only used under strict supervision. I'll let you all fill in the blanks as to why.

The other day I caught DD with her Dora pillowcase over her head and she told me she was hiding after I nearly had a stroke.

My son will stand on his tippy toes and try to reach things he shouldn't and we can't leave bags of stuff where they can reach or they are in it in a minute!

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ok I can just see the Christmas tree LOL.

This makes me feel better, my kids are just kids after all... I wonder what they'll get into today?

10. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Every day is an adventure!! I actually have my kitchen gated off most days, I just can't trust them in there and my sweet dd climbs on to the counter and will clean out my cupboards while I'm in another room :rolleyes:
    Mine get into the most trouble climbing things... there is nothing in my house that they haven't climbed or used to stand on.

11. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I guess I got lucky with the twins. I have never had a problem with that with them BUT my Dd was the worst for that and is still very difficult at age 8.

12. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

My twins are nearly 5 and they have been so naughty in their short lives. When they were 1 and some months it all started. they climbed our TV stand and broke the doors off, knocked the TV down and jumped on it, they broke our bay window by banging stuff in to it, they broke our gates, they made holes in their bedroom wall and ripped sections out of it. They destroyed 4 regular type mattresses and box springs by ripping them open and wiping poop on them and all over their walls and throwing it up on the ceiling. Thank goodness they stopped pooping in their room it was disgusting. They also broke almost all of our screens and shades. They broke our dishwasher by opening it up and breaking the parts that hold the sliding shelves. i didn't mention everything they have done because I honestly can't remember it all, but they cost us a lot of $ for repairs. They are so much better now, but still end up breaking something.

13. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Did I ever post about the toy ponies? You know the ones that are just stuffed pony heads on a stick? I was making breakfast while they were playing & I suddenly heard "whap, whap, whap." Heart stopped as I came running to see them smacking them into the new flatscreen my DF had just bought for us :grr: Luckily the marks came off!

I've got the junk piles on every high surface, too - my fireplace mantel and a shelf always end up covered with things like pens, cell phones, cameras, remote controls, and anything else they try to get. The latest trick is opening the dvd player and changing the disks. They do it right, too, but I know it'll be broken if I don't get a baby lock that they can't outsmart on it soon. My kids know what's allowed, too - they always wait for me to be distracted. The mail carrier came to get me to sign for something. DS, who was happily playing with trains when I opened the door, dropped what he was doing, pushed a stool over to the computer desk and climbed up to get my purse down from off of the printer (too high to reach from the ground. In the 2 minutes it took to sign, my wallet was emptied on the floor and they were trying on chapstick...

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh I feel better now. We're not alone apparently :rotflmbo:

Ok you'll have to modify the link, even the hidden links gets censored.

15. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Oh no, you are so not alone!!! I have 3 older boys and twins girls I could never decide if it was tat they are twins or that they are girls but they are bad to the bone LOL my boys were never this way!! It is almost like things to get into find them!! The other day I went down stairs to put clothes that were in the washer into the dryer ( I knew better than to take the time to fold the ones that were in the dryer,I left them for later thank goodness!!). When I came upstairs, they had cooked breakfast especially for me. The butter buffet. There was butter EVERYWHERE.
    Every day brings something new lol!!