How much weight difference b/w twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by janicecris, Jul 27, 2010.

1. janicecris

janicecris Active Member

I have a B/G twins and my DS was 6.4 lbs at birth and DD was 4.6 lbs at birth. Now at 6 mos, my is is 19.5 lbs and DD is 15 lbs! That's a whooping 4.5 lbs difference! Anyone experience the same thing? Pedi was not concerned, he said she's healthy and steadily gaining weight, she's just smaller. :D

2. janicecris

janicecris Active Member

Sorry typo I meant DS is 19.5 lbs. Hard to type on the phone!

3. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

When my boys were born, Matthew was 6.9 and Brandon 6.1, it always has been 2-3 lbs difference between their weight, and Matthew always being heavier than Brandon.

4. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Mine were 2 oz apart at birth. At their 9 month appt, DS was 22.5 and DD was 18.4. Pedi isnt concerned AT ALL because yes they are twins BUT mine arent ID so its tech. just 2 different babies!

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are probably the minority. They have always been within a pound of each other and an inch. In fact, yesterday at their well check, they were 31.1 and 31.4 pounds.

6. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

At birth, my DS was 5.5 and my DD was 4.1

DS has always been a couple of pounds heavier than DD and I believe when they were younger, there were times when he weighed as much as 4 lbs more than her. DD is a very petite little thing, and DS is a more solid little boy.

7. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

My guys have been about 2.5 lbs. apart since birth. They were 6.9 and 4.14 at birth. Now they're about 22 and 20. But they're also fraternal and built totally different. My lighter guy is actually taller than his brother so he really looks scrawny :laughing: . My other guy looks like a butterball these days. One is long waisted and short legged; the other is short waisted and long legged. I swear they're twins :rotflmbo: !!

Laura

8. mkcondrey

mkcondrey Well-Known Member

My DS was born at 3#12oz, my DD was 2#7oz. At 2 months, DS was 10#5oz, DD was 7#, 1oz. At 6 months, DS was 19#14oz and DD was 12#4oz. At 1 year, DS was 25#8oz and DD was 16#12oz. They are now almost 16 months old and are almost 10 lbs different in weight (DS almost 28 lbs, DD almost 18 lbs)! They are also about 5 inches different in height with DD being itty bitty and at 16 months just now getting into 12 month size clothes. We get asked all the time what their ages are and when I say they are twins I get this incredulous look from people. But, like all the previous posters, our doctor has never been concerned and has always said they are 2 different people and are meant to be 2 different sizes. And, while my DD is small for her age, she is growing well and very healthy. Besides, my husband is 5'10" and 185lbs and I am 5'1" and 105lbs. So, I guess our DD takes after me more and DS takes after him more. :cool:

9. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I think its pretty common with fraternals. My DD was 7 lb 12 oz at birth and DS was 5 lb 6 oz. At 12 months, DD was 19 lb 10 oz and DS was 18 lb 4 oz. They also have always had a height difference. At birth DD was 19.5 in and DS was only 18 in. At their 12 month visit, their heights were 32 and 30. DS is very petitely built, still wearing 9 month clothes (and 3-6 month shorts bc he has no butt!!!). DD is very long legged and fits 12-18 month clothes. They are definitely two different kids in everything from their looks to their temperament!

10. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

DS was 6 lb. 4 oz. and DD was 7 lb. when they were born. They were always within that 3/4 of a lb. with her being the heavier one. They are still a bit on the "petite" side, but Gabe now weighs about a pound more than Abby and that just happened in the last 6 months or so. They will be 5 in Sept. and when he was weighed a couple weeks ago, he was 37.4 and she was 36.4 about a month ago. They are within 1/4 inch. of eachother heightwise as well. Go figure.

11. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At birth, Nicholas was 6lbs13oz and Anthony was 6lbs3oz. At their two year visit, Nicholas was 27lbs and Anthony was 23lbs15oz. And there was a three inch difference!

12. Jentletwins

Jentletwins New Member

At birth Jemma was 5 lbs and Sean was 5 lbs 11 oz. At their last checkup at six months Jemma is 16 lbs 9 oz and 26 1/4 inches long and Sean is 16 lbs 11 oz and 26 3/4 inches long. My pedi was surprised they were so close in weight and length.

13. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

mine, too. they were quite a bit different at birth (4 lbs 5 oz and 3 lbs 15 oz) but once owen caught up they've stayed within a few ounces and no more than an inch of each other.

14. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Mine were a little less than a pound apart at birth, but that gap has widened to about a pound and a half at six months. I would think that's pretty normal with fraternal twins.

15. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

DS was 5 lbs 2 oz and DD was 4 lb 1 oz and they've stayed within a pound of each other since then. At 14.5 months they are (DS) 20 lbs 8 oz & (DD) 20 lbs 2 oz. It's crazy though, DD feels like a feather compared to her brother who feels like a sack of potatoes when you go to pick him up. He's about an inch taller.

16. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Ava was 5.5 when she was born and Viv was 4.13. At their 9 month appt A was 20lbs and Viv was 18. They have been about 2lbs apart from the time they were around 3 months old.