How often do you wash your hair?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chrissy Nelson, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

So there is this news story about this lady who did not wash her hair for 5 years.  I find it a little far fetched that she actually went a full 5 years....

So how long have you gone?  I will admit I have gone 1 week total.  I usually will go 3 days during the week though here is my routine (my friends think I am gross)  Wash at night air dry...  next day wear straight.  Next day straight, next day curl, next day pony tail that night wash and start over.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Since I've been a stay at home mom (who doesn't really stay at home) for 8+ years now, I do not wash my hair every day.  I will wash it once or twice a week at the most.  I take a bath every night... helps me sleep.  I've read somewhere that shampoos are harsh on hair and not washing is good.  Dunno... after awhile my hair feels oily and icky.  Gotta wash.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I wash my hair every day.  I have curly hair, and when I wake up it is crazy and needs a wash to be tamed.  I also work out every weekday, so I have to wash my hair after that because I am sweaty!

My neighbor is a hairdresser and she washes her hair once, maybe twice a week.  I know it is better to not wash daily, but that just wouldn't work for me.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use shampoo almost every day but I wish I could drop it completely. I have friends who don't use shampoo at all - at most a baking soda wash once a week. Shampoo strips the natural oils from our scalp causing our scalp to overproduce oil which then equals oily hair which means we need to shampoo again, etc. It's the perfect self sustaining consumerist product. :/

1 person likes this.
  5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wash twice a week.  My hair is too dry otherwise. 

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Every day.  

7. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

2-3x a week for me.  More than that is too damaging.  I have very long fine hair so I do wash/condition it otherwise its impossible to brush. 

Now my boys I have not washed their hair since the last time we went swimming in August.  They got a hold of their shampoo and used the entire container.  I kept forgetting to pick more up and then I just didn't bother.  They rince their hair 2-3 times a week in the shower.  Thats it.  I comb it when its tangled or they go for a haircut.  They have soft/beautiful hair.  I am a bit jealous.  They start swimming lessons again next month so I will start using something because of the chlorine. 

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Everyday, I workout and get sweaty and otherwise its just super greasy by the end of next day.  If I'm not doing anything at home and have no plans for the next day I will wait but I hate going to bed "dirty"

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Every day. If I don't, my roots get gross.

10. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Every other day. The third day it looks oily.

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I wash mine every 2-3 days.  During the winter, it's more like every 3 day, but during the summer when we're outside and I get more sweaty, it more like every 2 days.  I have always had very oily hair.  No way could I go a whole week and not wash my hair.  It would be gross and unbearable.

12. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I wash my hair every day.  Sometimes skip one day a week, but not often.  My hair is usually such a mess in the mornings, that I have to wash it so i can go out in public.

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every 2-3 days.  Every 2 if I have to leave my house, every 3 if I stay at home that day.  It gets itchy by the end of day 2.

I also bath every night before bed, so I don't shower every morning either.

14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yes! Same.

15. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

I used to be an every day girl but in the last year, I've cut back to every other day.  I try to coordinate with the days I'm working out.  In the cooler months I can easily get away with this.  In the summer it's more of a challenge.  I hate matted head look!

16. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every other day. I do wash and dry - wear down first day. Second day skip wash and wear in a pony tail. Repeat.

My hair gets so oily by the 2nd day that I have to wash again.

17. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Depends. If I'm not going anywhere besides car line....eh. But by day 3 I'm a hot mess! Lol! My hair gets super greasy too and it's just gross. I rarely shower everyday. If I'm going out, etc I will. But if I'm just staying home, cleaning, and the like?!? I'd rather nap instead. ;)

18. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started doing the no shampoo thing, Rach! Baking soda once a week and an apple cider vinegar rinse. My hair was awful for a few weeks, but now it's soft and nice. I'll have to drop it for a bit because I am going to get my hair coloured tomorrow, but I am eager to get back at it.

19. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

The longest I'll go is skipping one day, but normally it's every day.  I have super curly, thick, long hair and it would just be a rats nest if I didn't get it wet every day.  I only shampoo every other day, though, but I do deep condition every day/shower.  I also shower at night, pin it up for the night and then usually spray it down with plain water again in the morning to bring out the curl.

20. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

2-3x a week. I washed it daily for as long as I can remember until about 2 years ago (you know, minus the early baby days!!) however, I was told that my hair color would last longer if I didn't shampoo as often. It still doesn't seem to last that long though   :grr: 

21. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've tried a couple of different times but I think google gave me bad info. ;) I plan to try again at some point. I hate spending money on shampoo.

22. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Once or twice a week. My hair is crazy dry. I actually put oil in it for the first 2-3 days after washing. Honestly, I could probably go 2 weeks and no one but me would ever know. But it starts to feel gross to me. So once or twice a week it is!

1 person likes this.
  23. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every other day or so. I shower at night then the next day its fine then do a hair band or pull the bangs back the next. 

24. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually wash my hair every day. Sometimes I just condition it.

When I had my hair blow out, I didn't wash it for 3 or 4 days. I did use dry shampoo on it. I was impressed at how nice it still looked. But my scalp felt yucky so I had to wash it.

25. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every day.  Once in a while I will skip a day, but I feel like my hair looks really dirty if I do. 

26. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

For those that do not use shampoo do u use product? I use hairspray and have to get the build up out.

27. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Condition every day, shampoo every 2nd day, shower twice a day.  We live in the tropics.

28. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I do it every day or on the rare occasion the next day.  I don't use any hair products on it.  And I wear it in a bun everyday. It is long it goes down to my bottom. Its also thin.

29. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Once or twice a week. I have long hair and it gets very dry if I wash it too often.

30. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Every day. I don't think I've ever gone more than a day without washing it.

31. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

This is what I wonder. I have really fine hair but a lot of it. I have to use hairspray or it's just a hot mess.

32. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wash my hair about 3x a week-I have to wash it on the days I work out, it's sweaty and gross! I dont usually wash it at all on the weekends unless I'm going out.

33. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Mainly, the products I use are to put moisture back in my hair--leave in conditioner, hair oil. I do use a little hairspray and curl cream, but nothing that leads to grossness the next day. Everyone's hair is different.

34. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Every other day. One day down, next pulled up.

35. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have curly hair and I wash every other day or it gets too oily and my scalp itches.  Everyday, I have to use a detangler to get a comb through it.