how old were your kids the first time they went skiing?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Jan 25, 2010.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

so, i'm popping in from SY because DH & i are big ski nuts & we can't wait to get the girls on their first pair of skis. next ski season they'll be 2.5. is it overly ambitious to think we might be able to get them on the bunny hill next year?

how old were your kids when you took them skiing the first time? how was the experience? any tips or tricks you could pass on?

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We havent been yet. We used to live in CO and I can tell you they start really early there. Ours would have definitely been in day camp at Vail by now. They basically do a day camp and then do a small version of ski school during the day for the smaller kids. Once potty trained they can go to ski school for a half day. Oh, how I miss it. GL!

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

The ski places near us (Angel Fire, Taos, Santa Fe, Sipapu, etc.) will all accept kids in the ski schools at age 3. So we have to wait until next ski season. But we'll be there the first snowfall!

4. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I don't have an experience with little ones skiing. However, when my brother was about 2-3, he would ride with his feet on my dad's skis (or maybe he had his own little skis but couldn't actually ski independently?), hanging on between my dad's legs. I'd never in a million, billion years do that... but I'm also a bit ski-phobic.

Have fun!!! :D

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We just took ours for the first time this year, at age 4. We actually intended to start last year and never got around to it.

But with one DD, I'm glad we waited, because I don't think we could have convinced her to do it any earlier. She is not a natural skier (low tolerance for cold/discomfort, not very interested in exerting herself -- I prefer not to use the word "lazy" :ibiggrin: ) and she needs the advanced language skills, problem-solving, and ability to delay gratification to get her through it!

The other one could probably have started at 2.5 and been just fine. She is adventurous, eager to try new things, has a good sense of balance and physical coordination, and likes to go fast. So it depends a lot on the kid.

We've only been twice, but are looking forward to going again. DH bought them both season passes and rented their ski gear for the whole season, because now we'll be wasting money if we don't go!

Some hints:
    - Have low expectations. Our goal for each trip is to spend about an hour on the bunny slope -- that's it.
    - Make it as easy on them as possible. I carry all their gear, plus snacks.

Consider investing in the following gear:
    - Kiddie lift harness:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Ski-KS-02090-Kid-Ski-Kiddie/dp/B000WZISIO
    Even if you're not riding any lifts at first, it's great for helping to keep the child upright. And they go so slowly at first, you can just keep one hand on the harness at all times to keep them under control. Some of them also come with fanny packs, which our kids find entertaining.
    - Ski bar:
    http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+KS-02089_Kid-Ski+HBar+-+1+Piece
    I would never have known about this, but my BIL bought one when he taught his kids to ski (also around age 3) and it's awesome. They have to stand on their own feet, but it sort of guides and helps support them.
    - Tip connectors so their skis can't get crossed.

Bring lots of snacks. We dole out a few M&Ms for every time they make it up the tow rope and back down the bunny hill.

Go out for lunch or pizza afterwards.

Be prepared to call it a day if the weather's bad, the kids are cranky, and things just aren't working. The most important thing for the first several trips is just that they have fun (or at least think they did, which isn't always the same thing) and want to go again.

We do want them to take real lessons someday, but I don't think they would have been emotionally ready for that at first. We want to wait until they can at least stand up on their own two feet, go down the bunny hill in a snowplow, and are not terrified of falling -- so hopefully later this winter!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

thanks all for the replies! much appreciated. :good:

7. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

I second all the Kiddie Lift/tip connector type stuff. All four of my children used that kind of equipment two winters ago (so the little girls would have just turned 1-they didn't actually do a lot, but they liked being pulled on the flat ground). We went to a hill that is free near my grandparents house, and also brought sleds and other things so we could horse around in the snow. This year my father spent a lot of time working with my oldest (he's 5). I think the first couple of years are probably best spent messing around, getting used to being in the snow and on skis, and making sure to get inside when they get cold :)