How the heck long will he be sick?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Jan 18, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My boys are 4 1/2. This past Tue the 13th when my one son came home from preschool he looked ill so I took his temp and he had a fever. Started out as a fever, didn't seem to have any cold symptoms so we just bedded him down comfy in the living room where we could keep an eye on him.

Wed...the same...fever and I started alternating between Ibuprofen and acet.

Thur morning I decided to take him in and was told that he had a double ear infection so they put him on a strong antibiotic.

Friday he started coughing and progressively started getting worse throughout the day so I put a humidifier in his room that night. This will also make 3 days now of a constant fever and now this added cough. He was also getting to the point that I had to carry him to the bathroom and would wimper and tell me he couldn't even stand.

Sat I took him into urgent care. They did a blood work up which came back fine....they swabbed his nose for the flu and NO flu and check his throat which they told me was ok... and they did a chest xray. They said he does have some bronchitis going on. They also gave him a nebulizer treatment which helped his cough a lot.

It is now Sunday afternoon...It has been 5.5 days he has been sick he has been on his antibiotic for his double ear infection now for 3 full days and I am also giving him nebulizer treatments as directed. I am also continuing on with alternating ibuprophin and acet and dispite ALL of this...he is down and out...can barely speak...hasn't eaten for over 2 days and is a rag doll....can't even stand up and has started to do a lot of sleeping now that the coughing has been controlled. I know the Drs say that it can take time but after all that is being done for him....shouldn't he at least be able to sit up? There is absolutely no improvement at all. He is taking fluids luckily which I am pushing. Poor thing has had a constant fever for 5.5 days!!

Anyone else have experience with this?? Does it sound normal? I plan to call Dr in the AM tomorrow again,.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

They usually tell me to bring them back if we don't see improvement after 72 hours on antibiotic, so I would probably take him in again.

3. cm301263

Yep I will definitely be calling Dr. again tomorrow even tho we were just at urgent care yesterday. It just seems ridiculous to me to be on antibiotic for 3 full days and 1.5 days of nebulizer and absolutely no improvement. I have never seen anyone look so sickly and he can't even sit up himself.  It just really concerns me. If he has no flu and no pneumonia and his blood work up was fine...what the heck could it be??

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ugh, yeah. I'd go back in. I'm sorry!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would take him in again as well.  I am sorry and I hope he is better soon.
    My kids have a friend who has been sick for two weeks, strep throat that turned into scarlet fever, some yuck has really been going around.

6. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope he feels better soon.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Any update?  I know someone whose kid was out of school for a good week, got better and now is sick again.  :( 

8. cm301263

Hi Thanks for the comments everyone!

This has been about the worse week I can remember in a long time!

His temp is finally back to normal after having one for 8 long days!! He also had not eaten in days. I just got a few bites of food in him today for the first time. He lost weight and altho he is on the road to recovery finally, he just doesn't seem himself & looks pretty peeked yet. Poor kid really went through the ringer.

BUT our story isn't over yet...his twin and myself came down (with what is probably the same thing) Monday so we are down and out. So a total of 9 days of sickness in this house. It is just ridiculous and I am pretty darn crabby to say the least. :headbang: