How to administer liquid zantac?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

How do you administer liquid zantac? Our twins won't take the liquid as is due to the taste and usually drool half the dose back out of their mouth. I am breast feeding and the twins gets some EBM bottles, so I have been putting their dose in a small bottle with 5-15 ml EBM. DS who is my big eater will gobble it down but DD I think can taste the zantac in the 15 ml and won't take the whole dose. We just got the prescription refilled and I had the pharmacy add grape flavoring but it still smells gross.

Any tricks/tips?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We used to just lay her down, grab the dropper, but it in the back of her cheek, then blow quickly in her face. That startles them and they swallow.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Ditto Bex. I would not recommend putting it in an EBM bottle because they may stop drinking them. I know the pharmacy can flavor it, not that the flavors help much, but I think bubble gum flavor helped.. it's been awhile. Good luck!

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Why do doctors prescribe Zantac for itty bitties anyway? It doesn't work most of the time and it tastes terrible.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

It tastes horrible it is very strong. CVS even flavored it for us- don't bother, there is no flavor that masks that strong taste. It actually only makes it worse. Taste it!! I wonder like Bex, why they even prescribe it for tiny babies. Ii die nothing but take my baby's breath away. It is awful. I would also not put it in any kind of milk that you want them to drink! What I did with my older boys- my twins refused a bottle but I did try! I supplemented them with Enfamil AR.

6. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I think we used to flavor it with peppermint or banana, but that was my second son. The twins used Prilosec, which has to be compounded. Insurance often only offers one or the other. Ours didn't cover Zantac so we had to use Prilosec (a generic version). But the NICU Drs said it was better for bad cases, like in the twins' cases.

7. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Ask to switch to the Zantac solutabs. So much easier!