How to help nasal congestion

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marleigh, Jan 20, 2010.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

It's that wonderful time of year when cold bugs are a plenty and my DD has her first cold...she's sneezing, coughing and her poor little nose is all stuffy (can't even suck on her paci comfortably)...it was a rough night.

She isn't even eating much from her bottle because she can't breathe :(

I have the cool mist humidifer going, I've sucked out her nose with aspirator (which she HATED)...I was wondering if any of you have every tried the Vicks BabyRub...it isn't as 'strong' as the regular vicks and was wondering if I should try it with Jocelyn to help her breathe better.

http://www.vicks.com/products/babyrub

Any of you try this?

Any other ideas?

The only thing I haven't tried yet was squirting Saline spray in her nose and then sucking it out. I've done this on myself when my nose is stuffy and I hate having liquid strayed up my nose...I'm sure it's just as unpleasant for babies.

SIGH...it's just a matter of time before the whole house gets the bug now too...get ready for the fun to start...saying with scarcasim

Thanks~

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would definitely do the saline spray. You can either suck it out or let her sneeze it out. We have use the Vicks baby stuff alot. I think it says they need to be 3 months old or older for use.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't used Vicks or Saline spray. It's only b/c I'm a chicken and don't want to spray something up their noses. I usually just put the humidifier on in their room and if they have a fever I give them Motrin.

4. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

i have used the vicks baby rub as well as saline..i was desperate at one point when both girls had a cold and went to CVS to buy anything that they were allowed to have to try and cure a cold....seemed to help a little bit.....

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

one of my LO's is CHRONICALLY congested and when they get colds, it gets SO BAD.
    the culprit in my house was my heat!!! it was on too high. their lips were getting chapped, skin was getting dry and they woke up so congested it was crazy!

we keep the heat on 68 now at night with a humidifier on 24/7 and it has made SUCH a difference!

we saline in the morning and don't always suck either. i notice it keeps them more 'hydrated' and less congested.

6. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

So I'm right here with you, exvept mine both have it and I now have sore throat-ugh! As if this twin baby thing couldn't get any harder already! I did the saline spray and I think tyey swallowed somevof it-they Hated it as I do too. I don't think I did it right! Oh and Little remedies makes a baby chest rub too-just got it at babies r us-seemed safer or more natural ingredients than vicks.

7. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

mine have had some horrible colds also. We have done it all. Saline drops (so not the spray), but tehy do hate it. And then definitely suction--we just have to. YOu can also try putting saline and then doing a steam room in your bathroom....just steam up the room and then sit in their with them. Seomtimes it will come dripping out of their nose. WE also use the vicks baby rub which we thought helped--rub it on their chest and a little on their forehead and nose. Also, you can try the bath soap that has vicks vapor in it...johnson and johnson has one and we got the babies r us brand. It's got menthol or something....just helps open them up in the bath which also helps stuff come out. Not strong though.

Colds just suck!! good luck!!

8. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

I used the saline drops and suction when they have a cold but mine actually get a kick out of the suction!

I have yet to try the Vicks but I do keep a cool mist humidifier on all night every night in their room whether they have a cold or not since they keep a small amount of congestion due to reflux.

9. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

My pediatrician recommends using the saline as much as you need too. It isn't harmful and helps a lot just not fun to do.

10. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

I would definitely suggest the saline. The spray is more effective than the drops but the drops work well, too. I haven't used the Vicks this time around but I'm sure it would help. We have just used the saline and the vaporizer with the girls. I hope they feel better soon!

11. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

My LO's had their first cold over xmas and the advice I got from 3 people was to put the Vicks rub on their feet. I didn't end up trying it because their noses ended up not getting too stuffy. But my brother swears it works and I guess safer than having it near their face. I have no idea why its the feet. Oh and put socks on so its doesn't get grease all over the bed. Maybe just an old wives tale.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would give the saline a try, it will often help a lot. I have tried the Vicks but never noticed it helping that much.

13. cec02c

cec02c Well-Known Member

I have used the saline and the Vicks. they both seemed to help for short periods of time. I also would recommend a steamy shower. That made a world of dirfference. I did want to mention, that my Pedi. frown on the Vicks baby rub. he said there have been cases of chemically induced asthma associated with its use. I took that advice with a grain of salt, b/c we have no family history of asthma, and I have used Vicks all my life and find it very soothing. Just leting you know in case you want to research it.

14. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. No history of asthma here either and this is what I found online.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=after-vaporub-warning-what-about-ba-2009-01-14

15. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

Haven't used the Vick's Rub. We use the saline drops w/suction and it helps! Definitely NOT their favorite thing but I've found that if I cover their eyes while I'm dropping or suctioning it's not so bad because they can't see the thing coming at them!