How to store extra milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Ice cream, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

For those of you exclusively pumping, how do you store your extra milk? The milk storage bags can be quite pricy, especially if used as much as I plan on.... Any suggestions?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually only managed to get a day or two ahead with the pumping, and just stores it in extra bottles in the fridge. You can keep them stored for about 3 days in there, so best to have some sort of system for labeling or making sure you're always using the oldest. Also, I re-used some of the bags (I had sturdy medela ones) after washing them thoroughly with soap and water.

Here is a great website for all things breastfeeding related, and in particular guidelines for milk storage: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

MomRN likes this.
  3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Medela has a storage system that I used. It has lids that show you what day it was pumped, and even what time of day.

And I used the Target brand Up breastmilk bags for what went into the freezer. They were a lot cheaper and I find that they held up well. (I'm still using the occasional frozen bag with singleton, but I stopped pumping a month or so ago.)

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I used the Avent system - reusable containers that I could pump into directly and that I just washed and sterilized before each use. I had a supply of containers for three days (pumping and feedings while I was at work) plus an emergency stash in the freezer. I kept a few freezer bags on hand in case of running out of storage containers but I never needed them. Later I used part of the containers for freezing purees and I still use them for freezing single portions of leftovers or now for my singleton. So the initial investment was well worth it.

5. Maisie7881

Maisie7881 Member

I found milk storage bags the best solution as they take up very little space!