How to teach colours????

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JackieBlimke, Nov 13, 2006.

1. JackieBlimke

JackieBlimke Well-Known Member

My two are not very good with colours.....I'm looking for the best way to teach them colours....is there a website that I can print pictures of colours???? Anu suggestions?

2. JackieBlimke

JackieBlimke Well-Known Member

My two are not very good with colours.....I'm looking for the best way to teach them colours....is there a website that I can print pictures of colours???? Anu suggestions?

3. girlsxtwo

girlsxtwo Well-Known Member

We have lots of little books and some flash cards that teach color. You can usually find books pretty easy at discount stores. Crayons are great too or the Color Wonder markers.

4. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Well, for a while I think we were just saying the color of everything. This is your GREEN frog, your BLUE shirt, etc. We also have a book which groups things by color, and also the Baby Van Gogh video which is all about colors. So they definitely know their colors.

Jade also recites, "Red orange yellow green blue indigo violet" ... (she is really good with remembering sequences)

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

M&Ms and fruit loops! My kids are very motivated by food! LOL I don't purposely give them to teach colors but when we do have them around I sit with them and go through all the colors. Occasionally I'll ask them to say the color before I'll give it to them but don't withhold it if they don't. Does that makes sense? [​IMG] I feel like I'm rambling....anyway, I don't do this until they are speaking pretty well. A friend of mine did different nail polish colors on her dd's toes to teach her the colors!

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

I think it just takes time. I always label everything with color and shape when talking. If they label something that is the wrong color, I don't say no it is not that color. I will say something like the sun is yellow, what color is this. They need a lot of positive reinforcement and confidence that they can label colors, etc. I think my girls were past 2 when they were able to identify colors. I just remember that it took forever. I couldn't believe they hadn't picked it up yet. When they are ready, they will get it!

7. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

I played this game with them:

supplies
    cars, trains, planes, etc. of different colors.
    Construction paper the same colors as the cars

Draw houses on the construction paper. Then drive the cars to the house that they live in. Really play this updriving all over before going to the correct house. The red car lives in the red house, etc. Let the kids drive the cars to thier houses. If they drive it to the wrong house I say "No, the red car does not live in the green house. drive him to the red house."

I swear my kids learned thier colors in two weeks from playing this game.

Viking cars are great for this as they are only one color.http://www.teachingplanet.com/vitoch5ve.html

Laurie

8. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

quote:
    Well, for a while I think we were just saying the color of everything. This is your GREEN frog, your BLUE shirt, etc.

THis worked great with three of mine. My second son was Not Interested. I made up a little chart for him. It had colors going horizontally and shapes going vertically. Once a day I would read it to him crosswise (red triangle, red square, red circle...) and once lengthwise (red triangle, orange triangle, yellow triangle...). At the bottom I put stars in the oddball colors like pink, gray, white, brown and black. It only took a couple of weeks for him to pick up on everything.

9. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

We use bedtime stories to do a lot of teaching. Find some books that are designed to teach colours and prompt them to answer questions about colour, but keep it fun. Repetition works even if it seems like they're not interested. A while ago, I was thinking that the girls weren't "getting" the alphabet. Then, one day Nicole just started playing her leapfrog alphabet game and recognizing letters out of sequence. We never worked with them, used flashcards or anything, we just read them alphabet and counting books.

[​IMG]

10. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Your guys are pretty young, I would just do as others said and use natural opportunities to teach. Like "who is wearing the blue shirt". "What color is the grass", types of things. At the boys' preschool, the 3 year curriculum is colors and shapes, so I would think that just over 2, even knowing one or two colors is right on target.

11. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We have books that group the colors and DH and I are also constantly talking about colors when we are playing with different toys-- blocks, legos, little people stuff, etc... Blake has picked up colors very well. It started with yellow and I swear every day he learns a new one! This morning on the way to my moms he was pointing out "white car mama," "white car!" I think the reading and reinforcement is where they learn. Mine are definitely too young to sit and have a lesson.

12. ads3046

ads3046 Well-Known Member

Brainy baby makes flash cards with the color on one side and then an object of that color on the other side. I can ask mine to go find the oranges, yellow banana, brown teddy bear, black bug, green frog or blue ball and they will sort through them until they find it. I also got some Sesame Street books at the dollar tree and one of them has colors with several objects of the same. Anthony LOVES this book and will point to objects and say the name already. We just keep repeating, repeating, repeating.

Angela

13. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

I went to Home Depot and took a bunch of the Disney paint chips (shaped like mickey mouse) and glued them to a paper, then put that paper into a plastic sheet protector and taped it shut. It has held up extremely well and they play with it all the time.

I did primary on one side and pastel on the other side. I've found it helps to teach colors if everything you're using is the same size/shape, and that way the only difference they see is the color of the object.

14. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

thanks for this post, I'm learning alot!

I just made a file in publisher -- the color and shape chart which 'rubyturquoise' suggested. if anyone is interested in having this Microsoft Publisher file, I will be glad to email it you. Please send me a PT with your email address.

15. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

the girls wanted to play with the twister game the other day but they are too small to understand how to play it properly. so I used it for teaching colors. Put your hand on the red circle. etc.

16. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I haven't done this with my girls, but I used to use this book with the three year olds I was teaching English

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/languageb...spanish/colors/

It has the colors in English and Spanish. I think the site has just English as well as English-French books you can print, and together with the kids put them together and color them. The classes always loved the days we made books! I think I'll try it with my girls this weekend.

We have just begun to short their mega blocks, making a tower of each color. I give them a block and they decide which tower it goes on. Gabby loves this game, but I can tell Bianca would just rather build and knock down and not worry about the color.
    Over in the Parent's club people are talking about reasons why zygotes spilt. I know why mine spilt, to teach me that there is more than just nature and nurture at play, they are identical yet so different.

17. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

http://www.epinions.com/content_53048675972

This is an awesome game for 2 year olds to start with. They love putting the fish in the same color boat and you tell them which color they are so eventually they learn the color.

Also

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-42870-Lucky-Ducks/dp/B000E3USRS

The duck pond game is great because it has colors and shapes on the bottom to match up.

My boys mostly learned their colors by our family's cars. They love cars so they learned the color of everyone's car first.

18. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

My brother got the girls a DVD on the colors. It's a bit annoying for me to watch, but the girls like it and I think it really helped them learn the colors. We also talk about colors a lot at home. Let me see if I can find the link for the DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Meet-Colors-Animatio...8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

19. mamaslilbears

mamaslilbears Well-Known Member

We do their toys, my boys love playing with matchbox cars. Lane will bring them to me and say "car!" and I say "yes, that is a red car" then he will say "red car!". It has worked really well for him and he know knows red, yellow, blue, black, and green.

20. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

I have a lady from our school system come out every month to do an in house eval. She gave me some paperwork to read for this age range. Here's what is says:
    Your 2 yr old is learning even if they aren't saying the names of colors. These are the three steps to learning colors, it may take weeks or months.
    1. Matching colors. Match the red cup to the red bowl at dinner time. Make a "color of the day" - clothes, play dough, foods, etc.
    Say the color names of things all day long.

2. Pointing to colors. Ask him/her to hand you the red sweater, as you read books say "let's find the yellow banana on this page", Play the I spy game for differnt colored things in the room.

3. Naming colors. When your child can answer what color is this, he has learned his colors. Read book about colors and ask your child the name of things on each page. Ask your child to tell you about the colors on his artwork.

End note on the sheet is: if your child is still confused about colors by the age of 4 then talk to your doctor.

I thought it was funny because at first my little boy would not name a color but something else the same color... like when I asked him what color the apple was, he's say the color of Elmo. It was strange but I think this is part of the developmental steps.

Good luck,
    Merijo