How's it going?

Discussion in 'General' started by NINI H, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

So we've been schooling for a couple of weeks now, how's it going?

I still have yet to receive our History and Typing curricula. But we are actually on a schedule this year! Shock of all shock! We are still working out the kinks and I'm not getting to the twins everyday, but that's ok. We are loving LOF!!! Wow, if I knew how my kids would like it, I would have ordered it over a year ago when I found out about it. I'm still concerned that D is moving too quickly through, but I hear that's common with kids like him. They are still doing Aleks along with it for practice in other areas. They LOVE taking French also. I think it was a great "extra" subject for them. Science is great fun for all including me!

So far, so good. How about everyone else?

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Only on day 4 and it's ok. But it's been kind of a crazy week to start... labor day cut the week short, we had a big "not back to school" picnic at the park with other homeschoolers yesterday and we're leaving early to go to my folks' today. But we've gotten through most of what's on the schedule and enjoyed it reasonably well. We did really take most of the summer off, so it's to be expected that we'd need a little time to transition back.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We missed our back to school ice cream social. But I have too many hockey commitments to make everything. We decided to start with the county, so that was a week before Labor Day. I think unless you homeschool year round it takes some time to get back into the swing of things. I hope your year goes smoothly!

4. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

So far, so good. I've been adding things in a little at a time. We started using Workboxes this year, so that took a little time to get used to. But, so far, I LOVE it. It keeps the kids organized, but more importantly, it keeps ME organized. We get so much more accomplished because they always know what is next and don't have to wait on me to get things out or let them know what to do. They can work at their own pace throughout the day.

I added spelling with Sequential Spelling (thanks Dielle!) this week. I really wasn't sure if it would work since my kids are only in 1st grade. But, they seemed ready for it. I'm glad I went ahead and gave it a try (with the knowledge that I might have to hold off a while if it didn't go well). They are doing great and I've overheard them actually talking about how fun it is! How crazy is that? Spelling, fun? But, it is actually helping them with their reading, too. So, we are sort of attacking it from both angles.

Next week we start FIAR (I've been holding that out as my last thing to add). I've really excited to see how it goes. We are going to "row" The Story About Ping and I've found lots of fun stuff to do. We may actually row the book for longer than a week if they seem into it. Especially since we have to stop school early on days I have to work.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

We have been schooling for more than a month now. It's going pretty good for the older 3, but I am still having a hard time making time for poor Brandon. I have got to get the boy moving forward in his skills.