how's THIS for nuts?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ddancerd1, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

so when i was pregnant, i was addicted to Pink (singer). especially her song, "who knew?" literally, from june to october all i played over and over and over again was that song and Fergie's "big girls don't cry". i was just addicted to those songs. okay, so now, i have the cd in our bedroom, and i played it for the girls the other night, and i was singing and dancing for the girls, then "who knew?" came on, and the girls got tears in their eyes and their lips pouted out. they looked so sad! i had to pick them up! i turned on another song and tehy were fine again. i turned th song back on and again the tears and the lip! so just now i put the song on, the girls were on our bed chewing on their hands. they stopped what tey were doing, got this really distant, sad look in their eyes, then came the tears and pouty lips! it's just the most amazing thing. i mean, when i hear those songs i get sad because it reminds me of when i was pregnant and they were in my belly, and i'm wondering if that's why they get sad? they remember and miss being in my belly? it's the coolest thing, but the saddest thing! i just had to share. anyone else experience anything like this?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

No, no experiences like that, but I think that is so amazing. :eek: Wow, I wonder if they are sad because they miss it in there OR they didn't like being cramped up, and it's bringing back those squished up memories. :lol:

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

No experiences like that here, either, but that sounds like a possible explanation. Pretty cool if it was.

4. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I'd think they would like it because it was something familiar!

5. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I've noticed the boys settle down for songs they "heard" a lot in utero. Like lullabyes. :)

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Feb 8 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]613558[/snapback]
    I've noticed the boys settle down for songs they "heard" a lot in utero. Like lullabyes. :)

That's my experience too. I had this playlist on my ipod I used to play on my way to and home from work every single day when I was pregnant. If I play that music in the car now when the babies are fussy it quiets them down and puts them to sleep. Oh and it's hard rock too! Nine Inch Nails and other heavy music like that, and my girls love it! I know it's not kid-friendly, but for right now it works!

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Oh wow!! That is SO interesting!!

8. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Joy reacts to music like that too, it is amazing to see. Tonight I sang a song to Aaron which he loves, that she has never heard. It is about crying out to the Lord when we need help. (I sang it a lot when I was pregnant with the twins) She got all teary eyed and started that dry sobbing noise. She ran into my arms and just cuddled there with me and was weepy. It is amazing...

She also reacts that way to Happy Birthday. She cries at every birthday party...

It is so strange to watch. She is also very musical and sings well and on pitch. My family is musical with many professional musicians, so maybe it is in her blood...

9. Grandma2TwinBoys

Grandma2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

Aren't babies just fascinating creatures?!? :wub:

10. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I used to put headphones on my belly when I was pregnant, and one of the songs I played a lot was "Clair de Lune". I also teach piano and voice lessons, and every time this one student would play that song, the babies would kick and flip and generally freak out. They definitely knew that song, and still react to it now. Music has a strong effect on babies!

Oh, and btw--I went through a, "big girls don't cry" phase as well this summer. I just played it for the first time in months last night, and my two year old could sing every word!! I couldn't believe he remembered that song. crazy!

Reyna