Humidifier recommendations?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by vtlakey, Mar 15, 2010.

1. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

A few months ago we bought a Sharper Image Cool Mist Ultrasonic humidifier from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It took us a month to finally get around to setting it up in the nursery but when we did after a couple of weeks I thought I smelled something funny in the nursery, kinda stagnant. And a week after that it definitely smelled moldy in the nursery but I kept thinking the humidifier was supposed to be a good one so I just ignored it. But one night shortly thereafter while filling up the water tanks I finally saw some mold down in the bottom reservoir where the tanks run into. Aaack! We immediately took the humidifier out of the nursery. And to my surprise BBB even let us return it (it was almost 3 months after the purchase date and DH accidentally recycled the box it came in, but I had the receipt still). Anyway, I was just wondering if others have a humidifier they recommend that does NOT get moldy or require a lot of upkeep (besides filling water tanks). Also, since winter and drier weather is almost over, could we delay making such a purchase until next winter? I'm just wondering if the boys get a cold this summer whether a humidifier would even be helpful then when the air is more humid then anyway.

TIA!

2. angs241

angs241 Well-Known Member

We have the Holmes Cool Mist, medium room. We liked it so much, we bought a second one for our room once they moved into their own room. We use ours year round, partially for the humidifier part, partially as a white noise machine.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have the Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier (I believe for medium rooms as well) and have had it for 2 years with no problems. I also like it because when the kids have a cold I can put a vapor pad in there as well.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've had 2... And clean them regularly. The manufacturer recommends weekly, but we when we use it, (the boys had colds) it was on low almost all day, so I stretch it to every 10 days. Unless you run it all the time (never stop) I've heard that any model runs the risk of mold. Furthermore, Legionnaires Disease can be caused by an unclean humidifier. Typically I switch off with my DH on who has to do it and now that the boys are better, I'm putting it away clean.

We threw out our instructions but the manuels tend to be online if you google the name and type.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Any humidifier will get moldy if they are not cleaned regularly. Just like standing water anywhere, they tend to grow mold & mildew. The key is to keep them clean & check them regularly for any signs of mold or mildew.

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Another problem with the humidifier we got was that the manual was lacking a few pages (and come to find out several other online reviews complained of this). I did search for the manual online, but all I found was the abbreviated version, which was frustrating. So I don't think the manual I had mentioned cleaning, though that does make sense. However, it's enough just removing and filling up the water chambers, but having to lug the base unit, cord and all, into the bathroom to clean it too sounds like a pain. Therefore I probably won't buy another one just yet. Though I'm sure I will get another one (probably the Vicks brand) whenever they get a cold and I am desperate for them to get some relief. I just won't run it 24/7 so I won't have to clean it as often and then I'll put it away when they feel better! :)