Humidifier

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1sttwins, Jan 24, 2010.

1. 1sttwins

1sttwins Active Member

Does anyone know of or have a good baby humidifier that does warm or cool mist that also inhibits mold/germs?

I have a vicks warm mist because the cool mist one I had just wasnt cutting it. My 2 are sick a lot and we run a warm mist humidifier almost constantly during the winter. It seems to smell mildew-y and I cant get rid of it, even with bleach - and now I'm afraid it's doing more harm than good.

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

This is the one I've seen a lot at the stores. It's a bit pricey though (not sure how much you want to spend).

http://www.kaz.com/kaz/store/product/84a54fb2ef39bd5024c7e4f6471c20ab/

I've seen more expensive ones as well at Walmart, Meijer, etc. if you're looking for something higher end. I think some of them have an air purifier and make the water germ free.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

My kids have only gotten sick twice in the last 2 years (knock on wood) and we don't use a humidifier. We just make sure that the air filters in the house are changed on a regular basis.
    If it's smelling like mildew then I wouldn't use it.
    Good luck!

4. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

We are actually looking for a new cool-mist humidifier ourselves and while I don't have a brand recommendation, I will be buying one that doesn't have a filter. We use ours a good bit (at the first sign of a runny nose or cough we run it for about a week at night/nap time for the babies). I've been looking at drugstore.com and they have several filter free models.

5. bu2full

bu2full Well-Known Member

We got April-Aire (automatic humifier) installed on our furnace. It only costed $400-500 including installation. We have saved so much money. I was using bottled water in the humidifers in each room. We have not had to use a humifier yet even when kids are sick. I cannot breath when it is dry in the house so this is awesome.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'll totally look at that stuff when we move bu2full! Sounds like a great idea.

I think warm mist humidifiers are worse for mold. I use cold mist ones and haven't had any problem yet, but they make cartridges you put in them to avoid mold I think?