Humidifier

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by maurahursh, Sep 22, 2008.

1. maurahursh

maurahursh Well-Known Member

Ok. What is the difference? I have the warm mist. I never realized there was two types out there. My boys have runny noses and someone suggest a cool mist humidifier. Will the warm mist work as well? I am so confused.

2. cduray

cduray Active Member

I was told by the peditrician that cool mist is for everyday and warm mist is for when they are sick. We just seperated our twins into their own rooms so now I have 4 humidifiers! I'm so tired of filling and cleaning that many machines! ;)

3. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

Interesting question I never thought about as my pedi said cool mist in the nursery. Here is some information I found on the subject. Several sites said the exact same thing...

"Q: When should I use a cool-mist humidifier vs. a warm-mist humidifier for a child with a cold?
    A: For safety, always use cool-mist humidifiers with children. Hot water or steam from a warm-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer can burn a child if he or she gets too close.
    Humidifiers add moisture to the air, which helps ease coughing and congestion due to a cold. Warm-mist and cool-mist humidifiers are equally effective in humidifying the air. Also, by the time the water vapor reaches your child's lower airways, it's the same temperature regardless of whether it started out warm or cool."

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I went with cool mist to avoid burns. Especially as I have dogs too and they could bump it or something.

5. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Warm mist can also increase mold and mildew.

6. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

We have cool mist. The only reason I heard cool mist was for safety reasons too. But my babies had a cold at 5 weeks and every time I went in their room it just felt so COLD to me! Do you notice the cool mist affecting the temperature of the room? I was considering getting a warm mist for next time, as long as it's in a safe place.

7. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I have heard the same as Erin, it makes no difference. I have found that the cool mist leaves a white powdery film on everything which is annoying but it definitely helps us all breath better.

Good luck!! Hope they feel better soon!

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Sep 22 2008, 05:27 PM) [snapback]991723[/snapback]
    I have found that the cool mist leaves a white powdery film on everything which is annoying but it definitely helps us all breath better.

Have you tried using purified water when filling it up. We had the same issue when we were just using the water out of the tub faucet but then we switched to filling it one glass at a time with water out of the fride tap and we no longer have that issue.

Cool mist has always been recommended to us. We dont use it much since we live in such a humid environment already. Their rooms start to have a musty smell after just one night with those things running.

9. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

Trust me... don't use the warm mist!! I have been burnt by one before. It literally burnt me, blistered, and popped within 2 seconds!!! It wasn't a small burn either. It would actually have covered my 4 month old's arm. I just barely touched it, too. I forgot I was sitting next to it and moved my arm and touched it. I took it and threw it away right then and there. I refuse to own another one. I don't want to take a chance of one of my children going through that.

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Something else too - you don't want the kind that has invisible mist - those work to prevent dry skin and dry throats but don't really help colds.

I just tried it for me... I'm always congested at night. The invisible mist one did nothing (I got a refund though, they gave false advertisement on amazon about it), the cool mist one I got (the filterfree from vicks) works great - no more congestion! The babies had congestion four days ago also, I put one in their room, and now they seem all clear again.

I'd definitely get a germ free kind or if not get those cartridges to avoid mold though.

11. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

i got a warm mist vaporizer. i think it was dr.sears baby book said something about humidifers harbor bacteria? who knows, both of mine are always stuffed with loads of boogers, so i put it on every night. i think its helping? i think the book also said when the heat goes on, the humidifier/vaporizer goes on, or when theyre sick

12. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator