Hypermesis and Weight Loss....From Newbie

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ssmmommie, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ssmmommie

ssmmommie Member

Hello Everyone!

I am new here, just found out today that I am having fraternal twins! We have 3 boys (all singleton) I am 11 weeks and 3 days, but the babies are measuring 10 weeks and 3 days (Is that something to be worried about??)

I have been seriously ill and have hypermesis, 24/7 though it is starting to ease up a tiny bit. I have lost 15 lbs already but am starting to be able to keep more down. I am trying to picture gaining 35+ pounds but I am very nervous as I always lost weight during my other preganancies because I was so sick. All 3 of my boys were over 8 lbs though.

Any words of wisdom from those who went through similar pregnancies? Thanks so much!

Jen (36)
    Mom to:
    Tyler (8)
    Ryan (6)
    Quinn (4) PHACE Syndrome, Pre-natal Stroke, Autism

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I was horribly sick with my son, lost 10 lbs in two weeks, with my girls it was a little better, but still lived in the bathroom it seemed like. With both pregnancies I started feeling better about midway through the second trimester. The big thing I noticed with the girls was the inability to eat large meals, especially in the last trimester. They say drink lots of water, but it was really hard for me. I did gain a lot of weight, but it was baby weight. I do not think I gained the recommended 35 lbs, but I had very healthy almost 6 pounders at 35 weeks. I think you just concentrate on trying to hold down what you can now, and worry about your weight gain when your stomach can take it.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I lost weight (30 pounds) until about 6 months when I started gaining it back. Between 6-8 months, I gained 60 pounds which put me at +30 for the pregnancy.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I hope you start to feel better soon. I lost 23 pounds and didn't get back to starting weight until 24 weeks even with a feeding tube and IV feeds.
    I gained 7 pounds the remainder of the pregnancy and had 5.3 and 5.13 pounders at 38 weeks, so pretty small but healthy.
    They nutritionist wanted me to gain 65-70 pounds (the weight I lost + 40 or more), my MD laughed at that knowing it wouldn't happen.

Do the best you can, I was told to drink ensure and pretty much eat anything you can. Try not to drink too much before you try to eat, can make you puke due to a more full stomach. though I know the puking can be constant no matter what you try.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I hope you start feeling better soon. I started feeling better by the end of the fourth month. Before that I just made sure to drink enough and tried to nibble whenever eating seemed posssible. As all foods made me feel sick I did try to stick with healthy choices valuing vitamins, minerals etc. over calories.

I lost a lot of weight in the first trimester too and did not gain more than 22 pounds by the end. My OB was not concerned about either fact - he said that the babies would take everything they needed from my reserves and that as I have never gained weight easily it is normal that I am not gaining that much being pregnant either. My fullterm babies were both perfectly healthy but under 6 pounds; again nobody was concerned as long as they were eating well and gaining weight steadily.