I am home - long update

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Beth R, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

First let me thank you all for your support. I was in the hospital overnight -I got 2 steroid shots(Ithink you only get 2). My OB had me see a maternal fetal medicine doc (peri). He said it is IUGR but he is not too worried because she is doing well-Blood flow,fluid level etc. She passes the BPP. There is a 26% discordance between them but he said that it is unfair to look at it in just that way because Twin A is 3.5lbs which is big even for a singleton at my date. A is in the 66% and B 18% - he said you start to worry when it is 10% B weighs 2.8lbs. He does think she can grow again-but of course never catch up. I will go for another Bpp at my OB on Monday and in 2 weeks to see him. So I said do you think they will make it to 32 weeks he said Of course. As long as she is still healthy why take them out. I was surprised to hear that it is slow changes not sudden so there is no need to freak. I always thought it went bad fast. I am hoping that when he does the growth scan in 2 weeks she has at least gained enough so we can hold out until 34 weeks.
    Here is what I think surprised me the most: This peri is the head of OB at my hospital. He does not take my insurance. He was horrified that I had to get growth scans at another hospital-which is also a top hospital-because of insurance. He said that he would work something out but I am now under his care as well as my OB. I said that I really couldnt afford to pay out of pocket and he assured me that I wouldnt. My ob called me later and said that the 2 of them worked the insurance issue out and that I am to worry about nothing. I am shocked-I guess there are still some very caring people in the world.
    So for now things are ok. Of course it all depends on each scan but I do believe that we will get to 32 weeks. I was surprised to hear that alot of high risk docs consider twins term at 36-37 weeks.
    Sorry this is so long. I hope everyone is doing good.

Hugs,
    Beth

2. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

First let me thank you all for your support. I was in the hospital overnight -I got 2 steroid shots(Ithink you only get 2). My OB had me see a maternal fetal medicine doc (peri). He said it is IUGR but he is not too worried because she is doing well-Blood flow,fluid level etc. She passes the BPP. There is a 26% discordance between them but he said that it is unfair to look at it in just that way because Twin A is 3.5lbs which is big even for a singleton at my date. A is in the 66% and B 18% - he said you start to worry when it is 10% B weighs 2.8lbs. He does think she can grow again-but of course never catch up. I will go for another Bpp at my OB on Monday and in 2 weeks to see him. So I said do you think they will make it to 32 weeks he said Of course. As long as she is still healthy why take them out. I was surprised to hear that it is slow changes not sudden so there is no need to freak. I always thought it went bad fast. I am hoping that when he does the growth scan in 2 weeks she has at least gained enough so we can hold out until 34 weeks.
    Here is what I think surprised me the most: This peri is the head of OB at my hospital. He does not take my insurance. He was horrified that I had to get growth scans at another hospital-which is also a top hospital-because of insurance. He said that he would work something out but I am now under his care as well as my OB. I said that I really couldnt afford to pay out of pocket and he assured me that I wouldnt. My ob called me later and said that the 2 of them worked the insurance issue out and that I am to worry about nothing. I am shocked-I guess there are still some very caring people in the world.
    So for now things are ok. Of course it all depends on each scan but I do believe that we will get to 32 weeks. I was surprised to hear that alot of high risk docs consider twins term at 36-37 weeks.
    Sorry this is so long. I hope everyone is doing good.

Hugs,
    Beth

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Beth, sounds like a good appointment.

Wow!! For them to work it all out for you is wonderful. At least now, all your care can be done in one place.

4. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Sorry to hear that you have IUGR. It is a very good sign that your peri seems positive about your prognosis! I am also very impressed with your peri for being so considerate of your time and money! I know lots of these doctors still exist, but you so rarely hear about the them.
    I don't blame him for wanting all of your treatment being completed at the same hospital. It really helps with continuity of care. My husband is in the Navy, so I am being seen at the Naval Hospital. It is considered a medium size hospital. When I had my dd, I had all my treatment there. Now that I am having twins, I see the OB at the Naval Hospital and I do all my serial ultrasounds out in town at Shands University Hospital. I really like my OB, but last visit when she was running behind I really had to ask a lot of questions to get the information I wanted about the ultrasound I had done at Shands. So I can see benefits to having all your treatment done in one facility. It is nice that your peri arranged this for you!

5. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

I am so glad that everything seems to be working out. Sounds like you are in great hands with our doctors.

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear all you are going through but it sounds like you are getting great care and that is fantastic! Sending you lots of growth vibes for the next two weeks!

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am so glad that everything is working out! YAY!!

8. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

that's great news - i got the steriod shots as well and it really gave me some piece of mind.

i have to say, i'm surprised you are diagonosed as IUGR since your twin is 18th percentile. My boy was diagonsed as IUGR when was 3rd percentile, he has made it to 5th percentile.

I also would love to see what chart these OBs/peris use as my boy weighed about what yours weighed and he was 5th percentile....so strange.

And I'm glad they explained that as long the kids show growth, they will let them keep cooking. My boy has shown growth every 2 weeks when we get checked, not the same growth as his sister (who is just packing it on) - but steady, consistent growth. I think the rest will help you - i believe it has really helped me.

I'm glad you are home as well, having watched some ladies deal with hospital bedrest, I think being home is better.

Hang in there - we are so close -
    Miriam

9. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

Baby B has not shown any growth that is the problem. They are hoping because everything else looks good that she will start growing again. So for now I will be living scan to scan.

Hugs,
    Beth

10. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Sounds like you really have a handle on things. My Baby B has IUGR, too. Actually, I wish that my peri would do more growth scans - they'll only do them every 3-4 weeks - it's a little excruciating not knowing where they stand.
    I continue to be surprised at how we're holding up, especially after they originally made the diagnosis and told us that "any minute now" we'd be delivering. Here we are, 5 wks later! So things can go slowly. Of course, Ilyse had a similar problem and delivered at 30 wks. So it's a crapshoot I guess. But positive docs make a world of difference, and so does a positive mom! Hang in there! Keep drinknig Ensure and grow those kiddos [​IMG]