I can't get over myself!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by miss_bossy18, Sep 3, 2013.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh my goodness! I always used to roll my eyes at "those" moms - you know, the ones who get all sappy about transitions? I always used to think "Get over it! Just be excited for your kids!!" I think this stems from the fact that my mom always portrayed that she was thrilled and excited about all of our new things, she never seemed to have reservations about them or seemed to feel sad about them.

But now, with the girls starting kinder tomorrow I'm just a mess - typing this out is bringing me to tears! I wish I could get a grip but just can't seem to get over how huge a transition this is. Justin, bless his heart, took the day off work tomorrow - he says it's to "make sure I'm alright" which is true as far as it goes but I'm starting to suspect he's feeling as sappy about it as I am. ;) Anyway, I'm glad he'll be there for the big sobby puddle I'm going to be after we drop them off.

I also am starting to suspect my mom was just a really great actress! She was as sappy as they came in most things. She used to do up our birthdays Meaghan Cianflone style. ;) I wish she were here so I could ask her how it really was for her watching us grow up and move on.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hey hey! Who's talking about me?!? :laughing:

Dude. I was a blubbering mess leading up to Kindergarten. For real. I couldn't even say "going to kindergarten" to the boys without crying those last few days. Hahaha!

And then, the day came, it was a whirlwind. And I didn't cry. I got choked up and tears welled...but they never fell. ;) And I send Annabella off to preschool on Thursday. :( HOW?!?

The boys are loving school. I'm sure your girls will too! :) Let us know how you do! And daddy too! ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Aww, Rach. I get it.. man, transitions so bittersweet.

I bet your mom would say you're handling it all exactly right, and she'd probably be all blubbery on the inside for you too. I am sure the girls know you're thrilled for them and all they'll remember is excitement of the first day.

And moreover, congratulations to YOU for the new school mom status! Give D&R a big high five from me that they're so big now, and give yourself a big hug. I'd give you one in person, but well, you know how good I am at getting places. ;)

2 people like this.
  4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rachel, I am going to bet that once your Mom got home from dropping you off, she got teary eyed or did cry.

I was discussing this with my Mom last night. When I was 5 and younger, I was with my Mom all the time. I mean, we were like frick and frack. And I did not adjust well to kindergarten (and at the time kindergarten was half day) and she reminded me that I cried every day straight for two weeks. I told the teacher that I learn more with my Mom watching soap operas and the Price is Right. My mom told me that the first day, after she dropped me off (and I was crying, of course) that she couldn't cry until I was out of eyesight. But in front of me, she was like, "School is wonderful, you will have so much fun!!!!"

So I hope that my kids handle the start of kindergarten much better than I do. I will put on the happiest and bravest face out there. But I won't lie, I will be choked up on the inside.

I hope your girls have a great first day. :hug: to you and Justin.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Aw :hug: I didn't start crying last year when my girls started k, until the bus pulled away from our house. Before that it was all "first day of school!!! Woohooooo" in front of them. But in my heart "my babies are growing up and this is bittersweet." I hope your girls have a great first day of k. :hug:

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Gosh, I was a blubbery mess from preschool graduation in June leading up to starting kindergarten in early September. You never knew what might set me off. Starting kindergarten was tough! I was crying hard. My little babies, the only two that I have, were leaving me for the big, bad world of school. It gets easier each fall at least. I just had a little watery eye action this year for second grade. :)

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Aw Rachel :hug:

I got all sappy and emotional when all 3 of my kids turned 1.

It's so hard to see them growing up, even though you know it's a good thing. I wish I could just freeze time sometimes.

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I was really emotional last year when they went to pre-k. But like everyone else, in front of them I was the biggest cheerleader ever. But leaving them those first days (they each started a different day so I had 2 first days!) was really hard.

And it didn't help that the teacher read the poem "Thoughts from the Bottom of the Beanstalk." I still cry every time I read that!.

:hug:

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

The normal milestones don't usually get me all teary eyed, it's the oddball ones for me. My kids' first ER trip, even for a minor thing, when Josh got his first hair cut, when the twins learned to ride their bikes without training wheels.. Random stuff like that. :D

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I am super sappy about all my girls' transitions because I know they are my last and once that chapter is closed, I'll never experience it again...at least not with my own kids. So it's always extra special. I'm more emotional over them than I ever was over my son.

11. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i talked about kindergarten all summer to the girls, and was so excited and made them so excited. then dh and i walked them to school on their first day, and i crouched down and started to say, "i'm so proud of you, and you are going to do so awesome..." well, i just started crying, and then the girls started crying cuz *I* was crying, and dh looked at me like, "good job, mom" lol! i just couldn't help it. my babies aren't babies anymore :( they're never gonna be small again. they're never gonna have tiny fingers, and tiny arms, and tiny elbows again. (i spend a lot of time looking at their little arms, i dont' know why lol)