I can't wait for her teacher to come back

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just need to vent.  My DD who loved school, never had a teacher she didn't love is having a really hard time right now.  Her teacher left in November/December on Maternity leave.  Is supposed come back in March.

The leave replacement sub is sugary sweet nice, but rubs me the wrong way.  DD is miserable.  Reading HW is now graded on the same scale as test.   Last week they had 2 12 question reading homeworks, which in itself is not a lot except they usually get an 12 question packet broken up in monday ready, tuesday and first 4-5 question, Wednesday next 4-5 questions. Thursday if any questions are left answer them, or underline in different colors the paragraph for certain things. 

Monday my girls had a snow/ice day.  Our school does something called PARP ( parents as reading partners), which started on Monday.  There was a reading contract and a lion they had to color in.  The packet was supposed to come home last tuesday, but her class didn't get it till Friday.  She did the lion but misplaced it. I thought she put it in her folder, she could not find it when she got home yesterday.   So she got a "bad girl letter" about not handing in the lion, that I was supposed to sign.    This is something that has always been voluntary and it is supposed to make the kids want to read.  

She also got a reading packet for the week, only thing is between no school Monday, and last night was no homework due to Family Connections.  

So instead of no HW last night, she has double HW another night this week.  

I 'm trying to have her remain positive, even explain how she is going to persevere through this sub.  

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

That is tough!  We had the opposite, Jon's LA teacher went out on leave, and the sub was useless, and did nothing!  Fortunately, I was able to have him moved to another class.  I never say this, but in this case, I would bring it up to the Principal--especially since they were told not homework on Tuesday, that means adjust your plans due to the snow day and adjust.  We have been moving tests around like crazy due to all the delays--we have only had 2 actual snow days.  The writing teacher even decided to skip her regular weekly vocab and cursive assignments due to the missed day.

I am sorry she is having such a rough time.  One of the reasons I did get my current job is because I promised to keep going with the same type of teaching that the teacher I was replacing did.

3. ljcrochet

I brought it up at the PTA meeting, first the principal and my other DD's teacher(mrs. M)  who is the teacher liaison on the PTA board tried to backpedal about the HW.  How as long as it all gets done by friday it doesn't matter when.  I said it does when you have a student who is told do x today and y tomorrow and is worried about getting in trouble for not having the HW completed.    Mrs. M seemed very confused as to why a 4th grade class was given a reading packet for the week.  
    They said all the 4th grade class are doing the same work/HW.  I said nope, that it is very different.   Principal said she will talk to her teacher.  

1 person likes this.
  4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I am glad you were able to bring it up!  Hopefully, all goes well, and the regular routine will return soon!

In K, Marcus had a teacher that was an "overachiever".  The K teachers would agree on a project, homework, etc. and she was always trying to upstage the others.  I am fortunate that it was Marcus in that class, as he was and is better able to roll with the punches so to speak...

5. ljcrochet

Yesterday since she didn't want to do the math hw, she did the whole reading packet.  Best part is I had no clue she was answering the questions for tuesday, wednesday and thursday till I went to check it the afternoon for her to do her HW.

The sub is also now making parents sign the agenda book each night.  I don't know if there was an issue with some kids and HW.  But strange.