I did not think I would have this problem...DS won't drink his milk...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kingeomer, Jul 17, 2009.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:crazy: DS has always been pretty good about drinking milk...probably over the last week, he barely will drink it. We usually give them a sippy full of milk at bedtime with vanilla carnation instant breakfast in it (for extra calories) and he will drink half if we are lucky...in the morning, it is a struggle to get him to drink a half a sippy of milk (we usually put a drop of strawberry syrup in it). I try to supplement with other dairy products like yogurt, cheese, ice cream which he eats just fine. I'm not sure if I should try plain milk or maybe try a flavored soy milk-maybe he just doesn't like milk? I can't figure it out.

2. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

Mine do this occasionally too. They drink when they are hungry/thirsty. I don't force it anymore. They go through spurts where they will not drink or eat much at all...then the next week they are little piggies! I actually asked my pedi last week about it and she said no worries..it's normal. They will eat what they need. Although if he is not having wet diapers and altogether refusing food, then I would be concerned. I also give mine juice when they refuse milk. It seems to work pretty well. They just like to change it up and keep mommy on her toes!

3. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

my twins never have drank a lot of milk. even on formula they wouldn't finish their bottles. i had to put formula in their cereal so they were getting enough. now since they won't drink much milk (probably not even 4 oz a day), i make sure they get plenty of cheese, yogurt, and anything else that has calcium in it. i try to think of any food that i can add milk to. i also give them watered down minute maid kids plus OJ. it has a lot of calcium in it and they will drink on it all day.

tanya

4. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

:hug: Sometimes mine don´t want their milk so they get yogurt instead. I´ve noticed something too: I eat coco pops (not sure if you have those where you are?) for breakfast with milk and my DS always comes over, asks to sit on my lap and drinks my chocolatey flavoured milk from my spoon! I drink semi-skimmed milk so it´s not ideal, but maybe you could try a trick like that and get him to drink it that way but using full fat milk? Maybe if he sees you drinking it, he´ll go for it? Maybe it´s not a milk-drinking week though! They certainly keep us worrying non-stop don´t they! :rolleyes:

5. daniv

daniv Well-Known Member

I wish I knew what to tell you. I had the problem getting them used to milk from formula and they are finally doing great with it. I do have to hear it a little before they will drink it all but sippy's are getting easier. I still have to give a bottle sometimes. Is it the sippy or milk? Have you tried it in a bottle? Just thinking out loud.

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

our kids dont drink much milk at all maybe 6-8oz a day? we do a sippy for breakfast and thats it. We've never worried about it nor has the pedi. We also feed them lots of cheese, yogurt, pudding with whole milk, etc.

Mine do hate regular milk. They love vanilla SILK, they also like whole milk with carnation instant or a 1/2tbsp of nestle (either strawberry or chocolate) stirred in.

I wouldnt worry too much! Some people just arnet big milk people- I personally might drink 1 glass a week?

7. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

btw, i think she is talking about soy milk;).
    come on, girl! you're preggers, you gotta drink a little extra milk these days!

nancy, i have no advice. just barging in to wish you good luck and tell you not to worry!

~~jl

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Don't worry Nancy. As long as he is getting other sources of calcium and is drinking water to stay hydrated it will be fine. Is he eating well otherwise? Having enough wet diapers? Maybe he's drinkinng a lot of water throughout the day because its so darn hot and humid, that he isn't that thirsty. Or if he is eating more at meals he might not be that hungry. Just keep offering it and let him decide how much he'll drink.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thank you so much ladies! His diapers are good and to me it just does not seem like he drinks a lot (but I am always thirsty, so I shouldn't compare him to me!) but I am glad to know this is normal and I will just follow his cues!
    PS: I discovered soy milk this week and it is yummy! It can only be a treat around the house, because no one else likes it but me :(

10. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

Eve wont drink her milk at all either it was hard before but this week is torture to get her to drink 1 bottle of milk:( We have vanilla pediasure and i think she hates it -ugh-we mix the milk and pedisure together--im going to try the chocolate quik in and see if it helps.

11. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I read recently that toddlers/preschoolers need only 8 oz of milk a day to get the recommended calcium. If they are getting yogurt and/or cheese, they may not need any milk. I really wouldn't worry as long as his liquid consumption is adequate.

12. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Kids aged 1-3 need 500 mg of calcium a day -- there's 300 mg in 8 oz. of milk, which is where they get the recommendation that kids should get about 16 oz a day. But, there is a lot of calcium in green leafy veggies and other dairy, so just check what he's getting otherwise.

Mine started boycotting plain milk some time ago, so they now drink two yogurt smoothies a day. I do 4 oz. vanilla yogurt (I make it in the crockpot -- check out the cooking forum here!), 4 oz. milk, a tablespoon of whey protein powder, and a teaspoon of Nesquik, and blend it in the Magic Bullet. It goes right down! (I used to put fruit in it, but they stopped drinking it.)

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I don't worry too much about milk, either. Mine are allergic to dairy, so I give them Rice Milk or Almond Milk - they love both in the Vanilla variety. We also use a Calcium supplement on occasion, not everyday. I know they get lots of fat because I add Olive Oil to practically everything, and they drink lots of water to keep them well-hydrated. :)