I don't reccomend passing out at the grocerie store!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mooshie, Dec 15, 2006.

1. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

*sigh* gee whiz! today did not go as planned. I got up was feeling fine, took DD to school, and ran to the grocerie store with my other 2 kids to pick up a few things we needed so that I wouldn't have to think about grocerie shopping any more. so when I got to the check out I was feeling a little dizzy, but it wasn't bad at all. I figured it was just from trying to hurry at the check out, and that it'd go away quickly. it's happened b-4 and has never really been more than just beeing a little dizzy. so I take some deep breaths and feel fine, and go on with life.

I figured this is how it would go. well when I got done paying at the check out I felt like it would be better if I sat down. I thought I'd feel better faster this way. well there weren't any chairs near by, but there was a carpeted area, and it was out of the way, and I didn't want to walk all the way to the other end of the store to sit down for a minute just to have to walk all the way back to past where I was a minute later. so I just sat on the carpet on the floor. then I really started to feel dizzy. so I leaned against my cart to keep from falling over. then I felt like I may have to vomit, so I asked my DS (4yo) to hand me the small garbage can that was nearby just in case. then some nice shoppers noticed me, and came to see if I was ok. I didn't know what to tell them. but a minute later while I was hunched over the garbage can I apparently passed out and threw up. I wasn't out for very long, but when I came to (maybe 30 seconds later)there was a store manager, and a EMT who just happened to be in the pharmacy today. so she was asking me all kinds of questions, and called my OB for me to see what they said. they said go to ER. so I called my DH cuz I didn't want to take an ambulance. so he came and took me to the ER, and basically they ran a bunch of tests, and gave me an IV and kept taking my blood pressure.

they figure that my blood pressure must've dropped too low, or something, but they have no idea why. so they sent me home with a holter monitor (not so fun) to wear for 24 hours. and that's it!

so I went to the ER for them to tell me they don't know what the deal is. that's frustrating! I kinda wish I'd just gone home to lay down. they didn't do anything that did any good, and the only thing that helped was laying down. I could have done that at home and ended up with no bruises from needles. oh and no ER bills!

so I guess my point is. don't pass out in grocerie stores! lol!

and one question. does anyone know if LOW blood pressure is a concern/common/treatable durring pregnancy? or do they just say don't do that anymore? my BP was only about 98/65 when the EMT took it in the store. that's quite low for me, and everyone in ER said it was low too. I'm just surprised that they really didn't DO anything but run some tests, and say "we don't know" and sent me home.

anyway, thanks for listening.
    Michelle

2. mooshie

*sigh* gee whiz! today did not go as planned. I got up was feeling fine, took DD to school, and ran to the grocerie store with my other 2 kids to pick up a few things we needed so that I wouldn't have to think about grocerie shopping any more. so when I got to the check out I was feeling a little dizzy, but it wasn't bad at all. I figured it was just from trying to hurry at the check out, and that it'd go away quickly. it's happened b-4 and has never really been more than just beeing a little dizzy. so I take some deep breaths and feel fine, and go on with life.

I figured this is how it would go. well when I got done paying at the check out I felt like it would be better if I sat down. I thought I'd feel better faster this way. well there weren't any chairs near by, but there was a carpeted area, and it was out of the way, and I didn't want to walk all the way to the other end of the store to sit down for a minute just to have to walk all the way back to past where I was a minute later. so I just sat on the carpet on the floor. then I really started to feel dizzy. so I leaned against my cart to keep from falling over. then I felt like I may have to vomit, so I asked my DS (4yo) to hand me the small garbage can that was nearby just in case. then some nice shoppers noticed me, and came to see if I was ok. I didn't know what to tell them. but a minute later while I was hunched over the garbage can I apparently passed out and threw up. I wasn't out for very long, but when I came to (maybe 30 seconds later)there was a store manager, and a EMT who just happened to be in the pharmacy today. so she was asking me all kinds of questions, and called my OB for me to see what they said. they said go to ER. so I called my DH cuz I didn't want to take an ambulance. so he came and took me to the ER, and basically they ran a bunch of tests, and gave me an IV and kept taking my blood pressure.

they figure that my blood pressure must've dropped too low, or something, but they have no idea why. so they sent me home with a holter monitor (not so fun) to wear for 24 hours. and that's it!

so I went to the ER for them to tell me they don't know what the deal is. that's frustrating! I kinda wish I'd just gone home to lay down. they didn't do anything that did any good, and the only thing that helped was laying down. I could have done that at home and ended up with no bruises from needles. oh and no ER bills!

so I guess my point is. don't pass out in grocerie stores! lol!

and one question. does anyone know if LOW blood pressure is a concern/common/treatable durring pregnancy? or do they just say don't do that anymore? my BP was only about 98/65 when the EMT took it in the store. that's quite low for me, and everyone in ER said it was low too. I'm just surprised that they really didn't DO anything but run some tests, and say "we don't know" and sent me home.

anyway, thanks for listening.
    Michelle

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Bless your heart!!!! it is surprising to me that they just sent you home too! [​IMG]

4. amily1974

amily1974 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry! What an unpleasant experience! How did your kids handle it? I hope you have a MUCH better day tomorrow!

DS Caleb 6/30/04
    DS Aidan 2/22/06
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Oh dear...you have had a rough couple of weeks, haven't you! I know you've been feeling bad lately, but not THAT bad! Whatever the actual medical reason for it all, if nothing else it's your body telling you it is not up to it's regular activities!! Please take it easy and get some rest. It seems weird to have your blood pressure drop too low--they're always warning us about having our blood pressure raise too high as pregnant ladies, so I don't know what that's all about. Keep us updated, and let us know how you're feeling. Take care!

6. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm so sorry about your day! Hope that your feeling better now that your at home resting!

I was watching Discovery Health Channel the other day and they have a show on called Baby Baby about family who are pregnant with multiples. A girl on the show was 26 wks pregnant with twins and she passed out at a restaurant. At the ER, they just checked her out as well and sent her home. They said it was probably caused by her being overheated (you know how hot we always get) and too active. Because she was hot, her blood rushed out to her skin to cool her off. Leaving her brain slightly deprived of blood, causing her to faint. They never said what her BP was or if it was low. I am not for sure if it is a real concern during pregnancy or not.

7. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

Oh Man!!! How awful! [​IMG] I'm so sorry you ended up in the ER for them to not tell you anything and just send you home to rest! UGH!!!

Hope that you can rest some this weekend!!! HUGS!

8. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

I've passed out a number of times this pregnancy. I'm sorry this happened to you!

I too was sent home with a Holter and and also had an echocardiogram done. It turns out I do have a loose valve in my heart, likely due to the extra blood volume of a twin pregnancy. I also have that low BP issue. Not much you can do about that except to stay very well hydrated and when you feel dizzy, sit or hopefully lay down.

Good luck and take it easy! A multiple pregnancy is a huge stress on your circulatory system!

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    31w3d b/g twins!

9. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]I'm sorry this happened to you. I have low BP to begin. Mine is almost always 90/50 throughout my pregnancies. It seems like the farther along I get, the more problems I start having with feeling faint/dizzy. My OB always tells me that when I get to the point where I'm feeling faint it means I'm overdoing my body. She said it is a signal to me that I need to rest and take it easy.
    If and when I start feeling faint, if I just lay down.......sure enough it goes away every time.
    So take it easy and I hope this doesn't happen to you again. Hang in there!!

10. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

i use to pass out all the time with my first son and my daughter. the only thing that kept me from doing that was making sure that i had something in my stomach and that i didn't get up so fast. i have passed out in public before and it isn't fun! i was with my husband and i remember feeling a little funny and so i asked my husband to get me a chair which was about 4 feet away. but by the time he got to the chair and turned around i was on the floor. i was about 5 month along with my daughter and it totally scare the daylights out of him since our daughter was his first child. i woke up and i seen about 8 people around me asking me if i was ok and they were handing me some water. all i could say was that i was a little hungry and i just wanted to lay down. at least the floor was carpeted. and luckily i didn't get any bruises from the fall. i didn't even think to go to the hospital or to tell my doctor but i had a very overdue healthy daughter in the end. you are not alone, it does happen to some of us. after that fall i always carried those nutra grain bars with me for a quick boost and i never had a problem like that again.
    i am glad that you are ok and feeling better.
    lots of love!
    meshell

11. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

You poor girl, I'm sorry you had to go through that! Wish I had some knowledge about it but I don't. Just hope you can take it easy from here on out and have someone else run the bigger errands for you so that doesn't happen again ! [​IMG]

12. mooshie

thanks for the replies. [​IMG] you're all so sweet. I think I'll just avoid grocerie stores the rest of this pregnancy. that should do the trick huh? hehe

at least I get to have an U/S next week. those are fun DR visits. [​IMG]

good luck to all of you!
    thanks again!
    Michelle

13. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

What an awful day. I'm so sorry! Did your OB say anything? It sure does sound like grocery shopping is off your list - now, whom can you enlist to do it for you? Is there a service like Peapod (where you just call and they deliver) available where you live? I haven't used it, but i think it's only a few dollars per delivery, and that is worth your being able to stay home and keep your feet up and stay hydrated! Hope it gets better - and yes, LOVE thos u/s!

14. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

OMgosh, you are so cool about it! I would have freaked out! Was your son scared, poor thing? Anyway, I'm glad it was in a relatively 'safe" place, not driving down the road or something.
    I had a good friend pass out in her kitchen while pregnant once. I was on the phone to 911 when she came around; scared the daylights out of me.
    Anyway, glad you're okay!

15. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Never a good thing to happen at any time especially at the grocery store with 2 kids! Did the ER mention anything about drinking more fluid? I work in the ER and a lot of times people whose blood pressure drops too low it's because of mild dehydration which happens way more frequently in pregnancy.

I also get what happened to you a few times a year and I'm not even pregnant. It always happens when I haven't had a chance to drink enough and always when I'm running around and get too hot. Last time it happened I was working and the room started going black but I was able to stop it before I passed out because I know how to stop myself. I checked my pressure and it was pretty low but normal for me.. I can run down to 85/50 and highest is 110/75.

Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids and right away when you feel the dizzy feeling sit down with your knees up and your head between your knees. It really helps. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you again.

16. mooshie

oh! I didn't even think to mention how the kids took it. well they were so good! we were in a grocerie store so employees kept offering them cookies. lol! when you're 4 and 1 who cares if mommy is sitting on the floor if you get cookies huh? I'm really glad they weren't freaking out. and I'm really glad I wasn't driveing. but I think it may have just been that I was on my feet pushing the heavy cart.

also I wasn't dehyderated. they did check for that, but I was well hydrated. they did give me a salene IV just in case, but it made no difference in my hydration cuz it was fine. they checked for all kinds of things, iron, blood clots, blood/oxygen level. who knows whatelse. everything was fine except my blood pressure and heart rate, which returned to prety normal on their own. it's just wierd. so I'm gonna ask my OB what he thinks when I see him on Wednesday, and just see what he says. and I guess I'll just lay down and avoid grocerie stores.

oh well,
    thanks again for the replies!
    Michelle