I don't want to call them picky

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MarchI, Aug 15, 2010.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

But I swear my boys do not eat.

Henry likes: broccoli, peas, and anything shaped like a cracker. Jacob likes meat and anything shaped like a cracker. Between the two of them, they eat enough variety for 1 meal. I am not ready to label them picky but I am shocked at the lack of willingness to try new foods. They do not like pasta (unless my italian SIL cooks it) and they do not eat grilled cheese (what child doesn't eat grilled cheese? oh wait, mine). They refuse puree but honestly do not eat enough finger foods (other than goldfish) for me to think they are sufficient with solids. Any advice? Do I wait this one out also? I realize I can't make them eat (they've shown me that) but I also wonder if I should worry about them having such a huge texture aversion to anything soft.

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Dude, I think you have my children a year ago! Nate would eat any meat, crackers, and fruit. Jack would eat peas, anything bread-like (plain), and ham. They would not eat waffles, pancakes, and a host of other things, including mac-n-cheese. :woah: I know, what toddler will not touch mac-n-cheese?! Just keep offering, and I promise it *will* get better. I still can't get Nate to willingly put anything green in his mouth, but he and Jack will try just about anything (even if they spit it out) and have come to love really strange things like hummus and Pad Thai! :lol:

You say Jacob doesn't eat veggies; will he eat fruit? I've read that fruit is similar nutritionally to vegetables, so you can load up on them and keep offering veggies to get him used to the idea. Have you tried giving them baby food purees with a spoon and let them try themselves? They may end up with more on their outsides than on their insides, but they might enjoy trying to get some food in their mouths. I was lucky in that my guys would let me spoon feed them for a few months after they turned one, so I could top them up with a jar of baby food if I felt like they didn't eat enough finger foods.

Good luck, and it does get better; just keep trying! :)

3. SheriBrownDion

SheriBrownDion Well-Known Member

Valerie is right it does get better. I have been told to look at the day and then the week in terms of eating. This has helped me a ton - and I still have to remind myself frequently. I have one who eats like a champ (and shows it!). My little guy is ultra picky, but I realize he eats one type of food at eat meal - fruit for breakfast (or cerael), oatmeal for snack, meat for lunch, crackers and fruit for snack and grain for dinner. That's pretty much it. He might mix it up and go grain for lunch and meat for dinner, but never can tell! Drives me nuts, but that is where he is at right now. Next month - who knows!
    Hang in there!

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Oh they do like meat on a steak (any variety from any asian food place). Thanks ladies, I am trying to be calm but I have photos of my oldest using a spoon/fork to eat meals at this age and they are nowhere near that in terms of dexterity or variety of diet. I know I need to be more patient but I worry my MIL will judge their all goldfish diet :)

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Your older DS was pretty advanced!! My guys just turned 2 and they are only now starting to be able to use a spoon. In fact, I they really only can eat things like pudding that cling; cereal/milk usually ends up running down the front of their shirts! :lol:

WRT to the MIL: This is why they invented lying. ;) "Oh, they normally eat great, they must be distracted by your fascinating presence.". :p

6. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Don´t worry! Mine are over 2 years old and refuse to try anything new! They will only eat purees although they can eat breadsticks, bread, toast, puffs, soft cheese and anything else solid that´s "nice" no problem at all! DS refuses to eat his veggies and meat/fish so he gets it hidden in his fruit!

I´ve given up trying to fight it, it just makes the situation worse. In your shoes I´d keep offering and also eat new food in front of them and make a big deal out of it. DS always wants what mummy has until he sees it´s a new food. At your LOs´ age, they will most likely take it and put it in their mouths!

GL & hang in there, they won´t starve! :hug:

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

LMAO at the lying. I think the pictures might be lies or mislabeled. Maybe I am remembering 18months??? Tonight Jacob ate 3 bail chicken meatballs with apples and applesauce. Henry had peas, apples and applesauce. For some reason, the no meat is ok with me but the no veggies drives me batty. I tried to hand Jacob a pea to eat and he laughed at me. :laughing:

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are hit or miss with veggies too so I make them smoothies after their nap and put veggies in it:) Honestly I have made the most disgusting combos and they suck it down mostly bc its called a smoothie and its specially made in the blender;) Funny though, they eat all their veggies we send to daycare!