I feel horrible

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinzmom2b, Dec 11, 2008.

1. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

For the past two days, Morgan has mentioned a couple times that her ear hurts. Not enough to warrent even any Motrin, so I didn't think anything of it. Plus, last month, she did the same thing, I took her in and there was nothing wrong with her. So, this morning I asked her if her ear still hurt, she told me "Nope, it's all better!" Ok, cool!!!

At lunch, she brought her plate over to me and told me that there was something in her ear. Well, I sat her up on the counter, pulled her hair back and her ear (both outside and in) was caked in dried, nasty, crusty, dark orange (probably a tinge of blood) wax. It was gross!

So, I called the pedi and they got her in this afternoon. Well, no wonder her ear didn't hurt anymore...her ear drum had ruptured and there was no more pressure, so it didn't hurt her anymore. So, she's on antibiotics and we have to take her back in a month. If it's not healed in a month, or progressing how it should, then we have to take her to the ENT.

I just feel bad for not taking her in when she complained. This wouldn't have happened had I taken her yesterday or the day before.

2. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Hugs to you!!!! Please don't blame yourself! Easier said than done I know! Hope she is progessing in a month, take care!

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

These things happen .. my dd Jill had a broken hand for 2 days before I realized it .. dont kick yourself over it.
    I hope Morgan feel's better and that it heals ok !

4. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This happened to my oldest over the summer. We were camping with my dad over July 4 and Friday night she started complaining that her ear hurt, We gave her some Tylenol and a few hours later she stopped complaining. She woke up the next morning and had drainage. So off to the ER we went. The ER doc said she ruptured her eardrum, but her pedi that we saw a few weeks later said all was well.

Things happen!! We just do our best! :hug:

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

You weren't to know though its not like she was screaming in pain. Does it affect her hearing this happening? hopefully not.

If it makes u feel any better a couple of years ago, both girls had a cold for a while nothing major though (or so I thought), when I eventually took them to doctors because it had lasted a long time, they had ear, eye and chest infection I felt horrible.

amanda

6. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Hugs to you! If she said it wasn't hurting much and then was all fine...how could you know. The thing is when you did notice something you took her in and got her taken care of. Now she is on the mend and I wish her a good report in one month!

Hugs

7. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

Poor little one! Isn't their pain tolerance amazing?! This has happened to me as well. My oldest was tugging on her ear. I didn't think much of it b/c she got a ton of EIs. I just made an appointment to take her to the ped that Monday (of course it was Friday). Anyway, the next morning her ears were dripping with crusty, yucky slime....off to the ER with 2 ruptured ear drums. 4 years later, she hears perfectly.
    Get well soon!

8. shelley79

shelley79 Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to both of my twins. They aren't talking yet enough to tell me it hurts obviously, but they weren't fussy, they didn't have fevers, no signs of an ear infection until blood started coming out of their ears. They both had ruptured eardums within a couple months of each other. Don't beat yourself up over it. You didn't know, but you took care of it as soon as you did! You're a good mommy!