I *finally* took away the pacifiers last night!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We're on summer vacation (we are both teachers) and I had told myself that when we got back from our trip to Topsail Island, NC, my boys would FINALLY be done with their pacifiers. So, while they were playing I took my scissors and started snipping the ends off of them. I had been telling them for a few days that their big kid teeth were so strong and sharp their pacifiers would probably get holes in them. At bedtime I told them to check for holes and sure enough, there were holes! :laughing: They were shocked, a little sad :)cry:), and Finley tossed a few of his out in the trash can. I put them in bed - and they didn't even mention them, they just went to sleep! :faint: I couldn't believe it - they were such pacifier addicts and I was totally dreading this and at the same time feeling guilty b/c they are over 3 - but it is over and done with and wasn't that bad at all! :)

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go Mom!! I giggled at your version of getting rid of the pacifiers. Very clever! We just took Annabella's away last weekend, and I dreaded it! I thought she would be awful. She cried the first two or three nights, but she's been fine since. So sad getting rid of that baby stage! :cry:

Glad it was smooth sailing!

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My older dd was 3 and it was a piece of cake too. When we tried at 2 and 2.5 it was HORRIBLE and ruined her sleep completely, took us a good year to get her back on track! I'm so glad it went peacefully for you!! :D

We did night #2 last night and it was a little rough still, some crying before falling asleep. I hope they take a nap today, yesterday we were in the truck driving so it was no big deal, today will be the challenge, naps without paci's.

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go!!!

We just took the binky away this last weekend and I had prepared for it to be horrible, because like yours they were complete addicts...we sent our away with the binky fairy and it went REALLY suprisingly well!
    I cant believe I worried so much. They still have brief momments where they ask for it but then realize its gone and move on.

Anyway, I am so proud of you and your big boys!! Yaaaay!

5. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Way to go! Completely clever idea! :) Glad to hear it went smoothly for ya!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:yahoo: :yahoo: for both of your boys! Glad they did great with it!

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

:woohoo: :woohoo: That's was awesome. I love it when I transition goes better than expected.

I need to take Mark's thumb away. I wonder how that's gonna work. :gah:

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Night number two, another success! :woohoo:

Sullivan reached in his bed for the pacifier and I said, "Remember they have holes in them..." and he put it in his mouth and tried it out again and then took it out and said, "Yeah, we are so big now that we put holes in our "di's" (what they called them)." and then he put it back and went to bed peacefully!

I'm still in shock how easy it has been! :faint: