I got quite a scare last night!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kuchar, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Jack rolls around quite a bit, but Lilly doesn't move too much. She scoots up a little, but mostly stays where I put her. Well, after the babies were in bed last night, they both started to cry. I brought Jack to our room, thinking I could seperate them, calm him down, and when Lilly went back to sleep I could bring him back in there. I gave her the pacifier and left the room. I could hear her crying on our monitor, and wanted to let her CIO, but I just couldn't do it. I went back in to give her the pacifier back, and pick her up if that didn't work, and found her with her head stuck under the bumper pad! She had scooted under it, but couldn't get back out! The bumper pads came out instantly!!! My older daughters slept with blankets, bumper pads, stuffed toys, even small pillows! The twins are down to a fitted sheet in the crib!
    I can't help but think what could have happened if I had just left her in there to cry... so scary.
    Helen

2. Spencerstacy

Spencerstacy Well-Known Member

How scary! This happened to us too! I'm glad she was okay!

3. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

bumper pads are evil!! they are either too small and they will suffocate, or they are big enough to use them to climb out!! glad she is okay!

4. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

That is freaky! I gave up trying to find affordable bumper pads that didn't cost $50; now I'm glad. Thanks for sharing that!

5. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I used a regular bumper pad with DD1, not even thinking anything of it. I just thought everyone did. Why else would they come with the bedding set? After hearing of the dangers, my twins have slept without any bumper pad since they've been in their crib.

I'm so glad Lilly is okay. :hug99:

6. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

oh, helen, how terrifying. Those 'what if' moments just suck the life out of me.

i've never had bumpers and we just put those mesh ones on as the little feet were sticking out and getting stuck - and i already get woken enough times a night! I'm still a little leery of those - i'd better go check them now!

7. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Yikes! Good thing you went to check. That's so scary.

Yet another reason why I don't use bumpers either!

8. vweaver

vweaver Well-Known Member

I used them with DD1 and DD2 but then I heard the horror stories and took them out the day we came home from the hospital. I am so glad they are OK.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

Oh wow! That's scary! Glad she is ok!

10. pdxpeach

pdxpeach Well-Known Member

how scary. glad she's ok.

11. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I never bothered with crib bedding sets. I have just the breathable bumpers and we have used them since day 1 in DS's crib and he is now 13 months old and we have never had a problem.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

So scary!!! We don't have bumper pads on because I'm so freaked out about this. Glad she is ok. -Leighann

13. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Wow really scary! I am so glad she was not hurt and that you caught that in time.