I had 5 kids the easy way and a stranger did it the hard way

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Cheesecake, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

I met this women at Walmart who had 5 and I was all excited because its rare around here compared to CO to meet a large family. Anyway she then chimes in that I did it the easy way because I had 2 at 1 time where as all of hers are singletons. I couldn't help but smile and drop my jaw. I was like really being pregnant with twins and delivering twins is easier?! BWAhaha! I was so busy chuckling I can't remember what her reply was and then I quickly changed the subject so I would say something stupid. :p

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

That is one of the craziest things I have heard in a long time! I dont care how anyone with 5 kids 'got them' but all I know is that it must be a ton of work to have 5 kids! Some people are :crazy: Why do some people feel they must always one up you!?

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Well, maybe having been pregnant fewer times is easier, but that's only for 9 months, and then we have the twins from there on, which I think is more challenging in some ways. Maybe she wins :)laughing:) the 9 month "contest" but you win the rest of them? People say strange things when trying to make up conversation. I usually just stick to the weather - it's safer!

4. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Lucky you - your life is so easy :p

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

:fool:

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! I'm hoping she will repeat her conversation with you to some of her family and friends and they can tell her how ridiculous that statement was. Sheesh!

7. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

I probably would have had to say "Um.. right.. anyway...". :rolleyes:

8. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

My friend who also has twins and 3 singletons said "OMG what dummies we are! We should of had quints! Because that would of been soo much easier! :crazy: :rotflmbo:

9. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cheesecake @ Jan 4 2008, 12:24 PM) [snapback]557512[/snapback]
    My friend who also has twins and 3 singletons said "OMG what dummies we are! We should of had quints! Because that would of been soo much easier! :crazy: :rotflmbo:

LOL- yeah, quints would have been sooo much easier. Some people................... :rolleyes:

10. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

yep, we are all just lazy Moms what with birthing 2 at once. . .
    :rolleyes:

11. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jan 4 2008, 11:28 AM) [snapback]557319[/snapback]
    Why do some people feel they must always one up you!?
    OMG! All the time! Some woman in the diner was almost arguing with me that having twins was easier than having two babies at different ages like she had. Okay, I'm sure in some ways there can be challenges that I don't face (i.e., dealing with different stages of childhood at one time), but I'm sure that I have challenges that she doesn't have to worry about (two 20lb people who hardly walk and can't talk). But it's like apples and oranges. I think people are just in desparate need of a pat on the back.

I have a friend who has two children one is 4 the other is 2. Every single time I vent to her about anything I'm going through with my daughters (she does it with other things too, not just child rearing), she always says, "Just wait...you think this is hard..."

Whatever. I made it this far without any of the horrors that she "forewarned" me about.... :rolleyes:

12. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

People that don't have multiples just don't even consider what it was like being pregnant with them or caring for them when they were infants.

:)
    Stacy

13. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

I hate it when people say that to me. I'm like are you freakin' kidding me??

14. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

Walmart does seem to bring out the best in some people...

15. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cheesecake @ Jan 4 2008, 06:24 PM) [snapback]557512[/snapback]

:rofl: OMG that's hilarious!

What are some people thinking? sheesh!

16. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

there was a show on discovery health channel called "half-dozen kids" or something like that. Its not "healysbakersdozen" but another family. The dad was saying how they had 13 kids and his wife did it the hard way...with no twins or multiples....I was like oh...thats the hard way???? Silly me, I guess I was wrong in thinking my singletons were easier than my twins..

17. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Jan 4 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]557384[/snapback]
    :fool:

Agree!

I do think she's just jealous you've figured out the "easy" way of doing it! :rolleyes: Someone should strap a 35 week preggo belly with twins on her and see if she feels the same. :lol:

18. burningstarr7

burningstarr7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Jan 5 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]558907[/snapback]
    Agree!

I do think she's just jealous you've figured out the "easy" way of doing it! :rolleyes: Someone should strap a 35 week preggo belly with twins on her and see if she feels the same. :lol:

IDK bout anyone else but what about how "easy" we have it hoping everyday of the pregnancy that both make it and everything goes smoothly

19. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Geez Jess! Always taking the easy way out!! (Did you tell her you watch another baby full-time, so YOU WIN! :D )

Just come back to Colorado and it'll be all better!! Good to see you online!!

20. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

I know I only have four, but geesh! The first two singletons were much easier than my twinkies have been! I agree with Becky! :fool:

21. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

Ha, that is pretty silly....BUT...I will say, I do believe that having twins as 1st babies is a bit...maybe easy is not the right word....maybe "less complicated"....than being pregnant and looking after a toddler (especially with the Hyperemisis that I had, which was NOT twin-gestation related) OR tending to a new born and caring for a toddler. People ask me how I did it when they were new born and actually...it was less complicated than having two kids at different ages. Very few of the pregnancy issues I had were twin related and I actually gained less weight than some women do with one. Only 42lbs.

They eat at the same time, they are on the same schedule, they take baths together, they sleep at the same time, they do everything together - I know for some people this may not be the case, and in certain situations it may have changed a bit for us as well (teething, when one was started sleeping through the night, and the other took a week longer...certain milestones, ect), but for the most part - and even today, they do things together. I did everything a mom of one would do - with two, at the same time. I even tandem nursed when I needed to, to save time. I think I would have a very hard time nursing a new born and running to pick up the forks my kids drop from their highchairs every 3.5 minutes. :)

I looked after my sister's 6 months old a while ago...and it was HARD with two toddlers running around, wanting to climb all over me and Denim, wanting me to hold them, too! I look at people with a two year old and a new born and I marvel at THEM!! I don't know how THEY do it!!

I was talking to a lady tonight at a Tupperware Party about my kids - how blessed we are to two at the same time - they have each other as playmates! They know how to share toys, they are used to playing with other kids (I know some toddlers who are SCARED of other kids their age...won't play with them), they interact together, keep each other company, they have each other 24/7 from day one. That is a HUGE blessing to ME and make my life EASIER...yes, EASIER!!

My only comment to people who say "Ah, two for one!!" is "yes, but unfortunately the discounts stopped there...." Having twins is expensive and I could have benefited greatly from having other baby stuff already - instead of having to buy two of everything right off the bat! Diapers don't come cheaper for twins.....

Obviously, I am the only one who think this way, but who cares.... :lol:

22. Annen

Annen Well-Known Member

I had a stranger at a store say something similar to me. She was with her daughter (the mom), a toddler grandchild, and a newborn grandchild. She said, "Oh, twins. That's easier than a toddler and a newborn." I was like... oh...

There is just no way to compare... everyone is apples to oranges.

There are definitely some benefits to having twins that PurpleNurple mentioned... but there are also some things that are very hard with twins... like the newborn stage.

Another strange comment from my sister: She says that her 4 and 3 year old sons (13 months apart) are similar to twins because they are so close in age... and people are always asking her if they are twins. Ok, as if you know what it's like.

23. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I can tell you I'd much rather have 2 singleton pregnancies than 1 twin pregnancy!

24. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I do remember once telling a friend who told me that they had 5 kids in 12 years of marriage that we had 4 kids in 6 years of marriage but that we had "cheated" by having twins.... but I certainly wouldn't consider it "easier"...there are some fringe benefits...1 labor and 1 pg...although the pg is more difficult.... the kids often move to the next great phase together...like my twins are now learning how to dress themselves, and once they get through this I'll be reaping double rewards. My life will incrementally, suddenly get a degree easier. Those changes don't feel so dramatic when you have 1. Like when both twins suddenly begin sleeping through the night your life gets dramatically easier. So the drama of change feels bigger...but maybe that's just in comparison to how difficult it seemed prior to the change! LOL!

25. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

Another way that people may see my having twins as EASIER is the fact that I have one of each - I know a lady who had twin boys 1st, then 3 more boys (singeltons) then FINALLY a girl (the ONLY GIRL in that family's generation - all the other kids born to the members of that family group were ALL BOYS....I figured that they would run out of names before too long! Crazy!)
    Some people keep trying till they they get a boy, if they have all girls, or a girl, if they have a boys. Or they just give up at 10...

I would have to agree....I got it done the easy way!
    I am sure that if you talked to other mommies who suffer with debilitating Hyperemisis with each and every pregnancy (as I did with my one pregnancy), they would tell you that they would have preferred two babies over one....simply because many want to give their child a sibling and had to suffer all over again, just to have another. Some, even though they are fully able to, will not get pregnant again because of that. Thankfully, I don't feel under any pressure that this point to have another....and don't know if we will because of the HG.