I have a cold - the Doctors want me to take antibiotics

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by monica77, May 24, 2010.

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I need to ask you guys for your opinions. I am 23 weeks pregnant with twins. I have a horrible cold, I can bearly speak and I am coughing very badly. I didn't go to work today, and I usually am not the type to take off work for being sick, but it is bad. I called my OBGYN today and they called in a prescription for me, they want me to take Zpax, which is an antibiotic and also they want me to take cough syrup - Delsym or Robotossin. I am really reluctant to take the antibiotics while pregnant. I also called the prenatal medicine clinic where I go to have the babies checked and I asked that doctor if I should take Zpax and he said yes, I should.

I am confused, I want to see what you guys think or if you had this while pregnant.

Thanks,

Monica

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If your OB and prenatal clinic said it's okay, then I think you should be alright taking them. When I was pregnant I had to take antibiotics for UTI that the OB recommended. I hope you feel better soon!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Why would you be hesitant to take antibiotics and not the cough syrup?

I would definitely take the antibiotics, that will kill the bacterial infection that you have.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

if you're concerned, i would ask your doc the specific question you're concerned about rather than just a general should i take it? hopefully, that will put your mind at ease.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I'm not a doctor, and don't play one on TV. But from my experience and research (and this great site: http://www.safefetus.com/) antibiotics are often class B drugs (same as tylenol), where-as lots of cough meds are class C, which are a little more iffy. I think the antibiotics are probably more important to kill the infection, too. When I was pregnant the last time, I got bronchitis that I just coulnd't kick. I didn't want to take the cough meds and read that dark chocolate (the darker the better), is actually better than even cough syrup w/ codeine for a cough suppressant. I would nibble on it and eat a couple of oz/day. It didn't totally take the cough away, but it really helped a LOT! And it helped me get some much needed rest.

That site lists medicines and tells you what their classification is and why.

Hope you feel better!

6. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your help, everyone. I took the antibiotic last night and I feel better, not well yet, but hopefully I will get well soon. I decided that I should listen to my doctors, because they know better than me, that's for sure. I was just scared of the idea of taking prescription antibiotics while pregnant. I didn't realize that cough syroup was worse than antibiotics, I just noticed it on safefetus.com. I was thinking, since you get it OTC that it's not a big deal. Thank you for the Link Dielle, I will use it again if I need to. I am so annoyed with myself for getting such a bad cold in 80 degrees weather, I really didn't need this while pregnant. Thank you again!

7. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Glad you are listening to your doc and feeling a little better. Quick recovery!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hope you start feeling better real soon!! :hug:

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Make sure you take all 6 pills, (Z-pack, right?) you'll feel better in no time, but it's very important to finish off the antibiotics. :)