I have a sullen teenager already!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I swear Andrew is 3 going on moody-sulky-13 yr old. I'm not talking about the usual preschooler discipline issues - what really gets to me is that I'll just say something nice/ordinary to him ("good morning" or "I like your singing" or something like that) and he FLIPS OUT and screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and yells at me and tells me not to talk to him.

WTH??? :wacko: Does anyone else have this, and how do you handle it?

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have one of those too. My 3 year old twin DS is quite sensitive about random things. He is either super sweet and charming or yelling "Don't look at me, don't talk to me" :wacko:
    No advice really, I just try to read his cues and give him space.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

It's the age. It's a nightmare. (Or, to reframe it more sympathetically, he's in a state of disequilibrium. :ibiggrin: )

I usually went with "Sounds like you don't want to talk right now" and tried to leave it at that, unless I really needed an answer. Just remember that he still loves you. But in many ways they are like little teenagers, but without even a teenager's people skills.

4. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

YES! Going through it now with one dd. If it's this bad now I fear how bad it will be when she's a teenager. I have no idea how to deal with it but will admit that this kid made me cry from frustration several times this past weekend.

5. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

Totally the age...the 3's were an emotional roller coaster for us.