I have strep throat!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Cathmar, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

Anyone else have a contagious illness? I felt pretty cruddy for the past 3 days, finally went to the doctor yesterday morning after I couldn't swallow without near crying. He said I have strep and gave me Penicillin for 10 days. I've been staying away from my girls (DH brought them to his sisters house yesterday for the whole day and is planning to do the same this day), but it's very hard to find people to watch them on such short notice.

Thing is, could I have already spread this to them? We don't share any utensils and (as with strep) I haven't been sneezing or coughing. But even after being on antibiotics for nearly 24 hours, I still feel pretty cruddy....swollen tonsils, mainly. Should I make plans to have them stay with someone else for more days?

I miss them so much. When my dh brought them home last night, they were groggy from sleeping in the car, but as soon as they saw me, they started with the "ma-ma-ma-ma..." Broke my heart.

2. Cathmar

Oh, and I forgot to add that I was told by the dr's nurse when I asked how long I should stay away from my babies that I didn't have to at all! That doesn't seem right to me....which is why I'm posting this.....thanks...

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Hi,

I haven't had any contagious illnesses so I haven't put this to the test, but in my baby book (Dr. Sears) it says that mom's don't need to stay away from their babies when sick, and should continue breastfeeding if they're already doing so even while sick.

I hope you feel better soon!!

4. Cathmar

QUOTE(Trishandthegirls @ Aug 18 2007, 04:38 AM) [snapback]372553[/snapback]
    Hi,

I haven't had any contagious illnesses so I haven't put this to the test, but in my baby book (Dr. Sears) it says that mom's don't need to stay away from their babies when sick, and should continue breastfeeding if they're already doing so even while sick.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Wow! I love, love, love Dr. Sears's advice. I never even thought to check what his call is. Thanks!

5. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I have had strep throat several times since the kids were born (along with a lot of other illnesses, I think from just being worn down). Anyways, I didn't stay away from my kids and they never caught it. I just tried to be diligent about washing my hands and not slobbering sweet kisses all over their chubby cheeks.

I hope you feel better.

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I was really sick the week my DP was out of town and I was all by myself with the babies... I had a virus that caused laryngitis with a really sore throat, and no choice but to care for them alone 24/7. The boys were 5 weeks at the time and I freaked out. I tried not to talk in their faces or kiss them, and I breastfed exclusively at that time so I continued. I was amazed, but they never got sick! :)

Hope you feel better soon!!

7. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I thought once you were on antibiotics you were not contagious...? They are bound to get sick and who better to get them sick, at least you know where the germs came from if they do get sick right? I know none of us want to give our kids germs but you just get them what they need from their doc and move on. You just need to focus on you and take the help when you can get it and need it! Your lucky to have SIL that will watch them for you! I have no one close by...

8. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I had strep and the babies stayed with me and even nursed... they didn't even get sick!