I hurt his feelings

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Oct 18, 2013.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I think we probably all need to, from time to time, (at least I do) remember to slow down & think of what is important to our kids. Life can be fast paced & hectic & a guy needs to take a breath.

One of my boys who is 3, got off the bus from preschool. He wanted to stop & look at a few rocks & I ushered him in the house quickly. It was time to eat lunch.

He wanted to take his own hat & shoes off but today I lost track of what was important to him & I took them off quickly for him. He likes to do it himself because 1) he can & 2) it makes him feel like a big boy.

He wanted to look at one of his toys on the way to the bathroom to wash his hands for lunch, & by now I was getting a little crabby...& took him buy the arm & said come on come one lets go now.

He climbed up on the stool to wash his hands in the bathroom & wanted to look at the soap bottle, then wanted to touch the bubbles in the sink that formed from washing his hands...& I grew even more impatient. I said come on now we need to get moving. It is time for lunch. (it was nothing that couldn't wait).  I was not mean to him but he could tell by my actions & my tone & he looked at  me heartbroken & started to cry & said he wanted to go to bed.

I felt horrible. In MY case, there was no need to be in a big hurry & I tend to do that but the look on his face which I won't forget & those crocodile tears, have helped remind me to just relax & go with the flow. These little guys are like little sponges & everything in life is a new experience for them & I have to remember that.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug:  I think we all do this to some extent.  Thanks for the wake up call!  Just by your writing this, it helps me slow down. Thank you!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Been there and done that.

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Ha, my first thought when I read your post was: "Hmm, am I supposed to feel bad about this?" So yeah, not proud to admit here - but I am doing this more than I should also. Thanks for the reminder to take it easy - they will not be so young forever.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Paul (a teacher) is so much better at letting the girls operate at their own speed than I am. But I'm trying! I know you wanted to hug your son. I want to hug YOU! You're a great mama and we've all been there (some people, notsayingmyselfexceptmaybethismorning). 

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That happens to me EVERY DAY. Seriously.. almost every day I catch myself rushing through whatever. When they're finally in bed and I can take a breath, I think.. what the heck, lady? You always want to spend more time with your kids, so why were you being a jerk about rushing them around? It's something I really have to work on.

That being said, sometimes you just gotta get places!

7. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I need to see the world a little more through my kids eyes.