I little snippet of CIO advice

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by brianamurnion, Mar 2, 2008.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I just wanted to drop a line about my CIO situation...

I dont know if anyone "keeps track of me" this close but, you might know that we are trying a new family schedule and I have mentioned it is including some CIO at night with the babies, but if you are saying to yourself "I thought she CriedIO months ago with her girls??" This is the scoop....

We did CIO at age 6months 1week with our girls and they were STTN within 3 days. Somewhere along the way between teething and all the sickness that went around our house from Thankgiving until February we lost our STTN babies and I was back up about 2 times a night with the girls. They were nursing at 2am some nights and 6am EVERY morning, going back down until 9am. Well we are now cutting out ALL night/early AM feedings. The 1st night Ashley cried for almost 2 straight hours with lil breaks of about 15 min. in there. Friday night/ Sat. morning, I woke up at 5am in the recliner nursing my girls???!! :eek: After I woke myself up a bit I could remember the events, apparently they were crying and I was stuck in "old habit" mode and got up without even thinking about it! :p My DH says, "Well this is going to be a habit YOU have to break too not just the babies." I guess so! So last night (Sat/Sunday) They made it, with a little wimpering here and there and one pacifier reinsertion around 3am for Ashley. Then I was completely ready to stick to our new schedule and get everyone up at 7am, well I woke up and laid there for a MINUTE I swear and the next thing I knew it was 8am and everyone was still sleeping! :D So I guess I goofed again but the babies made it until 1st nap without a nursing so YAY! Tonight the plan is the same, no nighttime feedings, everyone up by 7, no nursing until 9am nap time. This is my 1st phaze of weaning. In a few weeks I will probably drop the nap time nursings and a few weeks after that the last one, bedtime nursing session!

Okay the whole point to this lil thread was to say that I feel our 1st go 'round of CIO at six months was WAY easier. Because now the girls can stand in their cribs and scream "mommmmmmaaaaa" and Ashley screams "uppppppupppppp" and thrws her paci against the wall (no kidding, she is a stubborn lil bugger). So it seems to be a lot more heartbreaking for me this time around. I guess my advice to all those planning on doing CIO, do it earlier rather than later, dont wait until they can stand because they can keep themselves awake alot longer!!

Any advice from BTDT mommies in a similar situation is welcome!! Thanks ladies.

2. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip :D . This is why we are starting now! Too funny that you have to break yourself of old habits, guess the babies aren't the only ones that need training :laughing:. Good luck!

3. brianamurnion

QUOTE(Outnumbered @ Mar 2 2008, 02:25 PM) [snapback]649394[/snapback]
    Thanks for the tip :D . This is why we are starting now! Too funny that you have to break yourself of old habits, guess the babies aren't the only ones that need training :laughing: . Good luck!

Good luck to you too! I am trying to keep track of you to see how the CIO is going... so how have the last few days went?

I know, it wasnt so hard for me to break the habit the 1st time around because they were up ALOT and I was so tired I finally just said "enough I need some sleep!!" this time though I guess I just walked through that one feeding half asleep and it didnt effect me nearly as much. keep me updated on how your girls are doing!

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Good advice. We also did it around 5/6 months and had to do it again after they turned one. It was much easier when they were smaller!

5. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

It's so true! Because of the teething going on around here I was back to getting up once a night to nurse/medicate and up again at 5:30 to feed them again. We're back to CIO again this week as well, with last night being the first night no one woke up. I didn't feed anyone until 6:30 this morning (7 am would be nice, but 6:30 is still better!) and it's much harder to CIO the 2nd time around. They are much more persistent and vocal! I also found myself up in the middle of the night feeding them without even realizing it too! Thanks for sharing your story!

Reyna

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

i actually did CIO for the 1st time at 11 months and found it worked very quickly (3 nights) with no real issues (besides crying obviously ;) ).
    If I were you I would set a time for bedtime and time for wakeup and do extinction CIO (no paci insertions, no nothing!). When we did it we did 6:30pm and 6am and over the course of time they have lenghtened the wakeup time to now 8am (dropping to one nap helped also).

7. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I'm SO glad to read this; i was about to post (I've been off the grid for weeks, subject of another post)

8. brianamurnion

QUOTE(excitedk @ Mar 2 2008, 05:36 PM) [snapback]649568[/snapback]
    i actually did CIO for the 1st time at 11 months and found it worked very quickly (3 nights) with no real issues (besides crying obviously ;) ).
    If I were you I would set a time for bedtime and time for wakeup and do extinction CIO (no paci insertions, no nothing!). When we did it we did 6:30pm and 6am and over the course of time they have lenghtened the wakeup time to now 8am (dropping to one nap helped also).

Last night we went through about an hour of CIO from 5-6am then I woke them at 7. I did ONE paci reinsertion because I have a friend over and even though I warn anyone coming to myhouse during CIO I still feel bad that someone who is totally not used to it has to sit and listen to the screaming too! Tonight she will be here again but hopefully we will be down to just a few minutes of fussing, but by Tuesday night we are going cold turkey, no nothing in the night.

My next question is, do you think this is the right time to also wean from teh Paci all together??? I think either A.. yes because she is CIO anyway I might as well get it over with or B.. no, she is getting weaned from the boob gradually and nighttime snuggles I should leave her with this one thing for awhile.... What do you all think? (ashley is the only one in question because she is the only paci baby)

9. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Mar 3 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]650463[/snapback]
    My next question is, do you think this is the right time to also wean from teh Paci all together??? I think either A.. yes because she is CIO anyway I might as well get it over with or B.. no, she is getting weaned from the boob gradually and nighttime snuggles I should leave her with this one thing for awhile.... What do you all think? (ashley is the only one in question because she is the only paci baby)

Okay, if I had to do it over again I would gotten rid of the paci then too. Mine still have them and I DREAD taking them away :eek: So now we are in it for the long haul and probably won't take them away until closer to 3 y/o.

10. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with them for going to sleep. Mine don't use them any other time of day. I just leave them in the cribs, and when I lay them down I put it in and walk out. I never go in for reinsertion. She's old enough to figure out how to stick it back in if she loses it. So my opinion is leave her with the paci, but don't reinsert at any time.

Reyna

11. brianamurnion

QUOTE(mrsfussypants @ Mar 3 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]650736[/snapback]
    I don't think there is anything wrong with them for going to sleep. Mine don't use them any other time of day. I just leave them in the cribs, and when I lay them down I put it in and walk out. I never go in for reinsertion. She's old enough to figure out how to stick it back in if she loses it. So my opinion is leave her with the paci, but don't reinsert at any time.

Reyna

thanks Reyna, this is exactally what I am gonna do! Ashley like to throw her paci and then scream for it, the lil poop will just have to learn if she wants it she cant throw it 'cause she wont get it back!!

Our CIO night 4 (I think??) went great. About 5 min total crying at 5 am. We still had company so when I heard the fussing go to full blown crying I ran in reinserted paci and laid Alyssa back down and they were asleep again in probably 2 min. after that!! Tonight Mommy will NOT go in the room for any reason until 7am!! Because I have done paci reinsertion for two nights I am expecting a little screaming from Ashley but it should all go well.

The really funny/encouraging thing is, last night we left the babes with a sitter for the 1st time (YAY for date night!!) A good friend of ours and his two preteen daughters and girlfriend came over and had a blast with our kids (they come over almost everyday anyway so the kids love them!!) I guess they didnt know if they were supposed to put the babies down or not and when we got home at 9pm they had gotten both of them to sleep with NO NURSING (obviously :p ) I was like WOW they went down for you???? With only like 5 min. of crying!! But mommy was sore and I knew they wouldnt make it threw the night so I dream fed them before laying them down in their cribs. So anyway it is nice to knwo when I am ready to wean they might not give me too much grief, if someone else it there to put them to sleep that it!!

12. kimj

kimj Well-Known Member

I hear you about doing CIO earlier than not! I just did CIO with my girls 2 weeks ago for the first time! (big time wimp here) The first 3 nights were pretty rough - I started Monday eve and by Friday night they slept through. 6:30 pm - 5:30 am. They've been pretty consistent now and I'm SO glad I finally decided to do it! Now my problem is getting them to sleep later. 5:30 is the latest they sleep in. Carley woke at 4:30 am this morning! (they did get 5 shots each yesterday) I don't go in their room at all until 5am the earliest. (If they are screaming) They are never consistent with their waking though. sometimes it's 5am - sometimes 6am. It's a crap shoot. Because I work, I'm not that bummed about the early mornings as I'm up anyway - but I do like a little alone time in the am - especially my coffee! But I do agree that it is probably harder when they are older as yes- mine did stand in the crib and SCREAM the first 2 nights. MMaaamaaaa maamaaa - oh it killed me. But we got through it. thanks for the post! Oh - and too funny about you nursing in your sleep. heehee.