I made my babies so happy today!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ladybenz, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I have tons and tons of fabric scraps that I never throw away because I can always make SOMETHING with them. Well, today I was inspired, so I pulled out a bunch of different ones in all kinds of crazy colors and textures. I cut them into squares, then I cut the letters of the boys names, and then I stitched them all together until I had cubes and I stuffed them full of fabric scraps that are too small to sew, pieces of paper, plastic grocery shopping bags, and put a small bag of dried navy beans in each one, then sewed them shut. So they have big, soft, noisy, textured blocks! With their names on them!

AND THEY LOVE THEM!!!!!! They are absolutely nuts for these things!!! I am going to make about a billion more--whenever I get a chance. :D

2. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

Those sound great! I have a couple of baby showers to go to could you post some pictures please :D

Thanks!

3. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd love to see pics! Sounds neat :).

4. ladybenz

5. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

This is such a great idea! What a perfect gift idea also - it's so personal and it hardly costs anything. I would have loved receiving something like this at my shower!

6. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Wow, those are awesome! Did you mix fabric types? It looks like fleece and cotton blends? They turned out great!

7. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

Those do look great and I agree with pp I would have loved to have gotten something like that at my baby shower! Safe and baby friendly, you may be on to something there!

8. ladybenz

yep, all different types of fabrics, satin, fleece, minky, quilters cotton, flannel. They just keep hugging them and biting on them. :)

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is awesome! My babies would LOVE these! Except I cannot sew worth a lick :)

10. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pics. They look great. What did you use for templates for the letters, or did you freehand them?

Thanks again for posting the pictures I'm going to have a go at a couple!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:eek: Wow! How creative Momma! :bow2: Those are great! :good:

12. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

that sounds like really neat and creative toys!

13. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

Post an order form on line and I bet you would get a bunch of orders! maybe that is against the forum rules but.................

Nice job! I keep looking at my sewing machine wondering when???? Maybe you will inspire me. Tell us what else you come up with!

PS- you are the one who introduced me to twinstuff. I was on a different site when I found out I was expecting twins- you pointed me over here! Thank you.

14. ladybenz

I used little wooden letters for the templates, but you could do the same with paper printouts of any font you liked (maybe glue to a piece of cardboard for more firmness)

The process for making the cube is pretty simple, just cut six equal squares, sew four of them in a row, then on the last one, sew the last two on the top and bottom so if you turned it upright, it makes the letter T. Then sew the first and last ends together, turn inside out, sew all but one side closed, and turn it back rightside out. I topstitched all the seams to make it more textured, but you can skip that part if you want. Stuff full of all kinds of stuff and stitch the opening closed either by hand or with a machine. :)

It might be a fun project to make with onesies that your little ones have outgrown too. :)

15. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Those are the cutest things ever! I just love them.

16. avd1995

avd1995 Well-Known Member

WTG Aimee :clapping:

I am always amazed at people who can sew.

You could definetly sell those!

BTW I like your avatar picture. :D

17. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Aimee....those are DARLING!!!!
    Yes, you could make a small fortune selling those!
    You are so creative!

18. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I must say that you INSPIRE me, from your creativity with the blocks to you wonderful pics! How awesome!

19. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I love them!!!

20. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

21. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

You are so crafty! I would never have thought of something like that!

22. alechiac

alechiac Well-Known Member

Amazing... Count me in as someone who would shell out $$$ to have some... I don't own a sewing machine and even if I did, I woudln't be able to a) have the creativity or know-how to make them or b) have the patience.

Great job!!!!

23. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Way to use that creative bone, mama!

24. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll need to start brainstorming names for an online store for you soon! Those are adorable and you could sell a ton on eBay!

25. shandy

shandy Well-Known Member

oh yeah.. you could totally do eBay!
    they are absolutely adorable!!!!

26. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

those are awesome! you should make little taggies with personalize letters as well im sure you can make a fortune!

27. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

Those are so rad!!!!!
    I wish I knew how to sew!

28. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Those are the cutest things and looks so professional! Definitely market them you would make a fortune!

Not to hijack your post but remember the felt name books thread??? I am doing those now and just started putting the word out. Already have 3 orders for Christmas and hopefully get more. I love crafts!

29. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

Awesome--I wish I were that crafty

30. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

those are awesome...i'm so not handy at all

31. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

My sister loves to sew.... I just emailed her and said I would love Molly and Owen to get something like this for Christmas :) Hope she gets the hint!

Thanks for sharing!

32. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

Very cute! I used to make and sell something similar about 5 years ago. I bet you could make some money in your spare time (whats that?!)