I must be crazy (grocery store by myself)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by RRTwins, Nov 22, 2006.

1. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

My DH was gone for a few days and we needed groceries. Did I wait for him to get back so I could shop like a sane person? NO! I decide instead to pack up the boys and go to the store (first time!). If you can picture me pushing a Double Snap N Go while pulling a shopping cart filled to the brim with groceries, you'll have some idea of how ridiculous I looked. Oh and trying to check out with two infants in a stroller who want attention and are starting to get hungry while you put items on the counter and fumble in your purse for money is a real treat. Then there's packing up the kids, stroller and groceries back in car and unloading it all when you get home - by yourself! I survived, but I'm not sure I'll be doing it again soon. Next time I think I'll just eat the dog's food until DH gets back. [​IMG]

2. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

My DH was gone for a few days and we needed groceries. Did I wait for him to get back so I could shop like a sane person? NO! I decide instead to pack up the boys and go to the store (first time!). If you can picture me pushing a Double Snap N Go while pulling a shopping cart filled to the brim with groceries, you'll have some idea of how ridiculous I looked. Oh and trying to check out with two infants in a stroller who want attention and are starting to get hungry while you put items on the counter and fumble in your purse for money is a real treat. Then there's packing up the kids, stroller and groceries back in car and unloading it all when you get home - by yourself! I survived, but I'm not sure I'll be doing it again soon. Next time I think I'll just eat the dog's food until DH gets back. [​IMG]

3. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Laughing about the dog food, not the grocery store trip--I'm not brave enough for that yet--I applaud you! [​IMG]

4. daniellecic

daniellecic Well-Known Member

i did the same stupid thing yesterday, along with everyone else in my town. [​IMG]

5. ames4

ames4 Well-Known Member

You are a brave lady [​IMG], I have not ventured out on my own except to Dr's apt!

6. firsttimer

firsttimer Well-Known Member

I still remember my first trip...I still haven't pulled a cart!

I just load what I can in the stroller. The first time is challenging,but it does get easier and it actually becomes a fun trip out. After the first few times you will want to go to get out of the house. You did it!!!!!

7. girlzmom2b

girlzmom2b Well-Known Member

You are SO SO Brave!!
    I attempted it only once. My dd had a total meltdown in the checkout line.
    You survived!! [​IMG]

8. Angela0580

Angela0580 Well-Known Member

I need to go today, we have absolutely no food at the moment. I'm nervous, especially since it's the day before thanksgiving!

9. LindyFrog

LindyFrog Well-Known Member

I do it quite frequently with my 4.5 mth old twins and my three year old. i can only get a few groceries at a time, cause i let my oldest walk, one carseat in the basket, and one carseat when little kids normally sit. it is not too bad, except it seems that in Food Lion, whenever we get to the chekcout, regardless of how long we are there, one of the twins starts to cry. The biggest problem is that no matter what i do, i can never seem to fit all the groceries back into the cart after i pay for them!

10. Don2worrybhappy

Don2worrybhappy Well-Known Member

My DH is in the military and we have no family around. I had no choice, but to get used to taking all 4 kids with me everywhere (unless oldest DD is in school). And I've gotten used to doing everything on my own. In fact, even when my DH was home, I'd still grocery shop during the day with 3 kids with me while he was at work. He first left when the babies were only 6 weeks old, he was home for about 6 weeks, then left again. He's currently away now, will be back December 9th, then leaves again in January for 4 months. People ask me all the time how I do it, and how do I always look so "put together" (Somehow I manage to take a shower, put on some make-up and fix my hair most days). I just do what I have to do knowing God never gives us more than we can't handle.

I first went out to the mall with the babies when they were 10 days old. They were full term and it was summertime, so I wasn't too afraid of them getting sick. I just HAVE to get out of the house everyday. To me, cabin fever is much worse than having to deal with all the work involved with taking out all the kids. Plus, I've got to live a little, too. I can't stay around the house all day. What fun is that?

Some nights when I go to bed, I lay there thinking about everything I did that day and wonder myself how the h*ll I did it all. And I'm not trying to brag or complain. I'm just saying my life the way it is. I do work hard, and I do have to do everything. I love my children dearly, and they're worth it. One day, the kids will grow up, and I'll miss them being young. But hopefully, I'll have grandkids to help with.

11. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I try to get out a lot too, just so I get used to it and feel like I can do it. I DO admire those women at the store who look so relaxed running their errands with multiple children. I will never leave unless both babies have just eaten and been changed though. I don't want to worry about that stuff when I'm out.

Yesterday I took just one twin shopping while the other stayed home with my dh. It was SO easy! Such a breeze! These new moms of singletons think it's hard to get out but they don't know how easy they have it!

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

Honestly, I would do it more often if they made the baskets bigger, or they made it so 2 carseats would hook onto the seat part of the cart. Buying groceries for a family of 7 takes a lot of cart space!! [​IMG]

13. Lucky7

Lucky7 Member

I've had to do it quite often since the girls came, but still havn't figured out the best way to do it. I've got two options right now - go while my 2 oldest boys( 5 and 11) are in school and only have 2 babies (2 months) and 3 year old - in this scenario I have one baby in infant seat on cart and the other in a sling so I have grocery space. The 3 year old gets in tons of trouble usually and if given the opportunity dissapears. I also end up with lots of groceries that somehow snuck into the cart I didn't want. The second option ia go with all 5 kids and I put both babies in infant seats in one cart I push and my 11 yr old pushes the 2nd cart and I put groceries in it while threatening and blackmailing the other two! I usually feel like I could put out a donation jar out I get so many looks of pity! Somehow, I don't think it'll get easier any time soon!

14. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

I do this every week with my 4 year old in tow. I push our double stroller and pull a cart. I think the men I pass are impressed, makes me feel like supermom. (oh how little they know!) [​IMG]

It does get easier. Or you forget how easier feels like. LOL! Like it seems normal now to me to have all three in the store. We have to have food!

15. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I usually take one or all of my older kids w/ me so they can push the stroller or cart while I push the other. But occasionally I do just what you did. The first time I was walking down an aisle that way and an older man walking toward me started laughing and said, "you should try doing that with twins." Then he got close enough to realize I was and he really laughed. Told me his twins are in their 30's but he remembers shopping with them, when they were babies. He probably didn't have a double stroller, either. I always pack extra bottles and cheerios to try to keep them happy. And make the trip as short as possible, only the necessities. Sabrina HATES Walmart and Albertson's, and tends to come completely unhinged there, if she's not eating (and even if she is, sometimes). She's actually ok w/ Target, wish we had one w/ groceries here.

16. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

Good for you!!! I know it seems crazy the first few times but I get used to it. We're pregnant with our third boy right now so I'm on partial bedrest, but before that I did almost all of the grocery shopping while hubby was at work. It made me get out of the house!!! [​IMG] I push the stroller and pull the cart behind me. It's really not too bad once you do it a few times. Obviously it's MUCH better to wait for DH to get home from work and go (or even easier to email him a list and have him go after work) but it's doable with Frick and Frack too [​IMG]

I have friends with twins that have never attempted it so I applaud you!!! [​IMG]

Jen

17. li li

li li Well-Known Member

how very brave of you .

the first time i went supermarket shopping with both the girls i took a friend along. they were 2 1/2 months and she wheeled the double buggy whilst i whizzed round the shop with the pram. i'd seriously mistimed it though and the girls were getting so hungry and cranky that we each ended up with a babe in our arms. then at the checkout line maia lost it even more and i ended up breastfeeding her as i unpacked the trolley, repacked the shopping and paid ...

lisa

18. TrickiWoo

TrickiWoo Well-Known Member

Wow, you ladies are brave!

I ordered my groceries from Peapod.com because I wasn't brave enough to take the babies out and couldn't find anyone to stay with them!!

19. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

Add a 2 year old to the mix and you'll understand my grocery shopping adventures. I usually go to Super Walmart so I can get everything I need all at one stop!

20. greenslade7

greenslade7 Well-Known Member

I take my twins and my 2 year old. What I do is put my 2 year old in the seat, one carseat in the back of the buggy and the other car seat in the front of another buggy. I push the one with my 2 year old so I can keep an eye on him and pull the other buggy and load it with groceries. It works for me, but our grocery store has really wide aisles.

21. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

Lol i did it the other day but our supermarket has twin trolleys. So it wasnt to hard. It was just the stares and stupid comments that sucked it took me twice as long to get round!! Everyone wants to talk to you and ask you questions about how you are coping!!!

22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

the first time I went by myself I put my son in the frontpack (cuz at the time he was a carseat hater unless the car was actually moving) and put my daughter in her carseat on top of the cart - I don't think I'm dextrous enough to push the stroller and pull the cart...or now if I just need a few things I throw them in the bottom of the stroller since I don't need the carseats on the stroller anymore for them...

23. Maryn24

Maryn24 Well-Known Member

I buy like a lot of my groceries from Schwans..... for those you unfamiliar, they bring a huge freezer truck to your house, you pick what you want out of a catalog, and they give it to you right there. Its really really good food too, although a little more expensive then the grocery store.

24. Jennysnead

Jennysnead Well-Known Member

I do it with the twins and my 4 and 6 year old. I make one push the cart and one the double stroller. That way they have a "job" and it keeps them from wandering or arguing. The twins do fine if they are in a side by side so they can see everybody and everything. It can be painfully slow though and if it is busy I have to make sure they don't run anyone over! We also play I spy (i.e who can spot oatmeal). Or, I give them their own little list with a pencil to cross off items. It's all about keeping them involved.