I need help with bad biting!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Reeny691, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

DD is really on the attack towards her twin brother. She has been bitten him soooo much lately. I have tried timeouts and even biting back. Nothing is working. It is usually out of frustration over a toy but sometimes there seems to be no reason. I am tempted to put something on her tongue. I am thinking something bitter. I won't use hotsauce and she likes things that are sour

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I feel you.

Sebastian bit my Orion so bad today he drew blood. :( I do think he's getting molars, but I did something different about it tonight. I had my DH take Orion to the park- and had Sebastian stay home. I was very direct, letting him know that he did not get to go b/c he bit. He cried for more than 5 min. Then when O and DH came back I made him apologize- when he saw them he started crying again.

My intent isn't to make him upset, it was a creative way to show biting doesn't pay.

3. staceyloraine

staceyloraine Well-Known Member

Mine is biting a lot too! & nothing helps. She is biting one of the twins (11 months) or her big sister, same here usually over a toy but sometimes for no reason. I have bit her HARD & it doesn't seem to help. Anybody had success with this? She is almost 23 months, very strong willed & is my temper throwing child!

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I think that children over 1 year can understand what you mean, so I always explain that what they're doing is wrong (even if it's just "No biting!"), and then make them say or sign "sorry" to the person they bit. Even early on, I would guide their hands into the "sorry" sign (you can Google it if you don't know it). I felt like this was something I could have them do that was positive instead of just negative (e.g. "don't bite"), and hopefully instilled some empathy in them! :) I also think that breaking up the situation by having them stop and do something like apologize diffuses some of the emotion, and distracts them. I've heard of some parents who redirect a bite into a kiss; this could really help if you can catch them *before* they bite!

I do agree with Michelle that there should be consequences as well, especially as they get older. My guys used to like to slap me when I was holding them (they liked the sound :rolleyes:), so I would tell them that if they did it again, they would be put down. Finding their "currency" is a great way to stop them from misbehaving! If they're fighting over a toy, then the toy goes into timeout....things like that.

Hope this helps!

5. kellmcguire

kellmcguire Well-Known Member

We have a biting issue here too. Girl twin biting boy twin, or her big sister, when frustrated because she wants a toy or to play with something to be in a certain space. I'm not sure what to do, but when I catch it about to happen or when it happens, I reprimand. I still think she's too young to understand, plus her language skills are worse than her brother's, so I'm hoping once she can communicate together she will stop the biting (and pinching too!)... Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you, but biting at this age is totally, developmentally, normal behavior. There are a few reasons why, frustration, an inability to speak (or say what they want), teeth coming in, etc. The best way to stop it is to truly be super vigilant. Always watch the biter, and try to catch them before they bite--and then redirect them. It is hard, but it is a stage that will pass. You will find as they can talk more, and express themselves, and all the molars push through, the biting will stop or abate on its own.

The reason consequences don't seem to stick, is because once they move on to something else, they forget what they did and what was the result--a big reason why punishments like time out really don't have lasting consequences until around 3. Sure, it will stop them for the moment, but will not change the behavior for the long term at this age.

7. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

We have a biter too. Its awful and there are some days when her poor sister has 3-4 bite bruises scattered about her body. I had had enough of just saying "no biting" because clearly it did not have any impact whatsoever. SO, i thought I would try vinegar. That didn't work, my daughter actually liked it....so then I thought I would try the naughty spot. I thought that she would be too young and it wouldn't work, but it did!

So, I just picked a corner in our house and told her "no biting, you are on the naughty spot for biting your sister". At first she was so stunned and after 10 seconds tried to walk away and I put her back in the corner. She stayed there and had a complete melt down...but good news is that she stayed there! After 1 minute, I went and got her and repeated "you were on the naughty spot for biting, now apologize to your sister and give her a kiss". she listened and COMPLETELY understood what I was saying. She tried later on that day to bite again, and we repeated the process above with the exact same results. She has not tried to bite in 3 days, so hopefully we are on the right track!!

Might be worth a shot for you. Our girls are 18 months and I guess now a ready for the naughty spot when required :)