I still can't believe it!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by arkie, Apr 4, 2009.

1. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Julia and I am originally from Canada but I live in Sweden with my husband and our 2 1/2 year old son. We found out on April first that we are expecting twins! I can't believe it! At first we thought the doctors was joking but then we saw two little bumps with hearts beating. We are only in Week 7 but they think they are two egg twins since the wall between them appeared to be quite thick, we are going for another Ultra sound in 2 weeks. We are due November 17th but I understand that mostly all twins come early so I guess we are looking at the end of October. I have been at home this week on sick leave because of my morning sickness that lasts all day long. My doctor has me on some medicine that seems to be helping but I am still feeling like a wrung out dish cloth. Hope this passes soon. Cheers Julia

2. Newtwinmommy

Newtwinmommy Member

Congrats and welcome. Hope to get to know u over d next mths. Am due mid oct but sure they'll be out by sept end since twins are not always carried till 40wks.

3. carrieco

carrieco Well-Known Member

I can't believe it either!! It's so amazing! I found out on April 2nd when we were 6 weeks and three days along, but we could only see a flutter of a heartbeat. So we are going back next week when I'll be 8 weeks and 3 days. Sooo excited. I remember before the ultrasound when some days I would forget that I was prego .... not anymore! Now every time I think about it I get soo excited to be having twins. This is something that I wanted, but after I found out and learned of all the complications and that I probably wouldn't get the water birth I wanted, I asked myself why I wanted this! lol. I'm so happy though .... hoping for boy/girl twins!

I could use some help with names though .... I posted on the naming forum.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Julia! Welcome to Twinstuff! :welcome: Congrats on your twins. :Clap:

5. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Welcome and Congratulations.

6. heatonp

heatonp Active Member

Congratulations! It's probably the most shocking news you have ever gotten in your entire life! Am I right?? What an April Fool's!

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations! I could have written your post 2 years ago! My due date was November 16, 2007 and my girls were born on October 24, 2007 at 36 week 5 days. I was in total shock when I found out I was expecting two, and everyone thought I was playing an April Fool's joke! Having twins has been such an incredible experience, Congratulations to you and your family!! :D

8. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Congratulations! and Welcome to TS!! Looking forward to getting to know more about you and your little ones :)

9. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to twinstuff! I found out I was having twins a day before April fools and when I told my family they also thought I was playing an april fools day joke on them! It's so much fun being a mom of twins and a 2 1/2 year old (who is now 4). Congratulations again and keep us posted on your pregnancy! Having a di/di pg is the "safest" type of twin pregnancy, btw!! :)

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wavey: Julia and welcome to Twinstuff!! Congratulations on your twins! :Clap: :Clap: We look forward to getting to know you! :hug:

11. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

Awww congrats! You're official due date is my birthday :wub: It is some crazy news to get isn't it??

Where in Canada did you live?

12. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulations on your twin pregnancy!!!! Wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy and looking forward to getting to know you better in the next few months!! :D [/SIZE]

13. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome! I found out almost 3 years ago (19 April 2006 at 6w4d) that I was carrying twins! They're 28 months now!

Good luck!

14. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Everyone,

We are expecting our twins probably around mid november, as the original due date was the 2nd December before we found out the exciting news. We are both from melbourne and had ART, which is one step before IVF. We have a beautiful 2 year old daughter who already knows that "the babies are in mummy's tummy!) and like everyone here we still cant believe we're having twins! The reason is that it took three attempts with our first daughter through IUI to conceive her and this time around, we not only did it on the first attempt but they were almost going to cancel it because my sample (to put it nicely) was 800,000 when the average should be 20,000,000. They were going to suggest IVF but the fertility nurses said to go through with it and see what happens. So we were gobsmacked to learn that it not only worked on the first go, but to conceive fraternal twins was a miracle. We are so over the moon and are happy that our family is now complete, as we were going to have three kids. DW is 9 weeks pregnant and we look forward to getting to know everyone in here.

Cheers,

2CT :D
    [/SIZE]

15. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins. Just so you know di/di twins can be identical too! We found out our di/di boys are ID, when we had their DNA tested after their birth. That's a seperate test than just finding out if you had two placentas or one.

16. nutty-mom

nutty-mom Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!!! :) That is shocking when doc says its twins.
    I will never forget when doc told me, I hear heart beats everywhere. Went to ultra sound found out there were 3.

17. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

Hi Pamalhoney and Nutty,

So what is di/di? I have only heard of identical or fraternal. Are you saying that fraternal twins can still be identical, hows that? Hey I'm still new to the whole twin thing, so some education wont go astray!

18. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

congrats! shcoking just doesn't even begin to describe it!!

19. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

[SIZE=14pt]So how long does it take before it sinks in...lol :rolleyes: [/SIZE]

20. HeidiSmith

HeidiSmith Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the news! I found out at week 20 that I was having twins. It was the biggest shock of my lifetime.

Take care of yourself!

21. dallasm

dallasm Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I still cant believe I have twins and they are 4 months old now! :p If I could go back I would tell myself that I was in for the biggest joy of my life! I was too worried about my pregnancy (wasnt fun I have to say) too worried about how I was going to take care of them financially and how my dreams of having just one were gone. If I would have known them what I know now, I would have enjoyed my pregnancy more! They are truly the biggest blessing one can have! I wanted you to know that so that u may enjoy your pregnancy a little more than I did!

22. pamallhoney

QUOTE(2cooltwins @ Apr 27 2009, 11:50 PM) [snapback]1291166[/snapback]
    Hi Pamalhoney and Nutty,

So what is di/di? I have only heard of identical or fraternal. Are you saying that fraternal twins can still be identical, hows that? Hey I'm still new to the whole twin thing, so some education wont go astray!

Sorry, I should have explained better. There are two types of twins Identical and Fraternal. With Identical twins there can be four ways in which they occur in the womb depending on when the egg splits. If the egg splits during days 1-3 they are dichorionic/diamnionic (di/di), meaning that they have two of everything, two placentas (although the two placentas might become fused later on in the pregnancy making it look like one placenta, but really there are two), and two amnionic sacs. If the egg splits from days 4-8 then the ID twins would be called monochorionic/diamnionic (mono/di) and they would share a placenta, but still have two seperate amnionic sacs. If the egg splits between days 8-13 then the ID twins would be monochorionic/monoamnionic (mono/mono), they would share a placenta and the amnionic sac. Finally if the egg splits between days 13-15 the ID twins would experience some conjoining, also known as Conjoined twins, they also share one placenta and one amnionic sac.

Fraternal twins are always Dichorionic/Diamniotic (di/di). They come from two seperate eggs. These babies whether two boys, or two girls, or a boy and a girl will always have their own placenta (although the placentas might become fused later on in the pregnancy) and their own amniotic sacs.

So as you can see ID twins can be di/di and Fraternal twins are always di/di twins. The only way to know before birth if they are actually fraternal is if they are boy/girl twins. If they are girl/girl twins or boy/boy twins then you will have to wait until birth to know or later with a DNA test. At birth they might have different blood types or hair coloring or just look really different, then they would be Frat. If the blood type is the same they could be either ID or Frat. Your Dr./ hospital will send the placenta(s) to the lab to make sure of the correct count. Most of us that had di/di same sex twins went on to get our twins DNA tested to know for sure (which is a seperate test than finding out how many placentas).

So my di/di identical boys would have split between days 1-3. I hope that wasn't too confusing. Let me know if you have any other questions. And yes di/di twins have the best set-up in the womb. Congrats again!!!

23. pamallhoney

24. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Congrats on your twins!! :welcome: to TS.

25. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

Thanks pamalhoney for the wealth of knowledge, although after 6 six kids and one on the way I suppose you would know just about everything about raising kids. I never knew there were so many varities of twins. So far we have seen two separate sacs and yolk sacs and believe they are fraternal, but after what you were saying we will have to wait for out 20 week scan at least to see if its boy/girl to confirm it. Nothings ever simple with twins is it..lol I'll check out the wikipedia info and thanks again and also to DATJMOM for the welcome.

26. m2bx2

m2bx2 Active Member

QUOTE(2cooltwins @ Apr 27 2009, 11:11 PM) [snapback]1291144[/snapback]
    [SIZE=12pt]Hi Everyone,

We are expecting our twins probably around mid november, as the original due date was the 2nd December before we found out the exciting news. We are both from melbourne and had ART, which is one step before IVF. We have a beautiful 2 year old daughter who already knows that "the babies are in mummy's tummy!) and like everyone here we still cant believe we're having twins! The reason is that it took three attempts with our first daughter through IUI to conceive her and this time around, we not only did it on the first attempt but they were almost going to cancel it because my sample (to put it nicely) was 800,000 when the average should be 20,000,000. They were going to suggest IVF but the fertility nurses said to go through with it and see what happens. So we were gobsmacked to learn that it not only worked on the first go, but to conceive fraternal twins was a miracle. We are so over the moon and are happy that our family is now complete, as we were going to have three kids. DW is 9 weeks pregnant and we look forward to getting to know everyone in here.

Cheers,

2CT :D
    [/SIZE]

Hi 2CT,

I am from Melbourne as well! Our due date was the 28th of November - the date of our planned wedding! Great to find some more Aussies on here :good:

Brooke

27. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chicklet @ Apr 7 2009, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1262848[/snapback]
    Awww congrats! You're official due date is my birthday :wub: It is some crazy news to get isn't it??

Where in Canada did you live?

I was born in a small town in Northern Ontario and after high school myt family moved west to Vancouver, they are still there, but I'm in Sweden now, but we try to get back every year to visit. How about you?

28. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck. Glad u found this forum.. its great, u learn so much, and the ladies here are so supportive and friendly.. You've come to a good place with a great support system.
    :)
    m2bx2 and 2CT, We are Aussies too. We are 17 year old ID Twins from Brisbane!! I always get excited when more aussies find TS.. theres not many of us out there. :)

29. pamallhoney

QUOTE(arkie @ Apr 29 2009, 03:40 AM) [snapback]1292847[/snapback]
    I was born in a small town in Northern Ontario and after high school myt family moved west to Vancouver, they are still there, but I'm in Sweden now, but we try to get back every year to visit. How about you?

I live in Northwestern, ON on the border of MN. Actually I am originally from MN, but my husband is Canadian so I moved to Canada.

30. pamallhoney

QUOTE(2cooltwins @ Apr 28 2009, 10:43 PM) [snapback]1292761[/snapback]
    Thanks pamalhoney for the wealth of knowledge, although after 6 six kids and one on the way I suppose you would know just about everything about raising kids. I never knew there were so many varities of twins. So far we have seen two separate sacs and yolk sacs and believe they are fraternal, but after what you were saying we will have to wait for out 20 week scan at least to see if its boy/girl to confirm it. Nothings ever simple with twins is it..lol I'll check out the wikipedia info and thanks again and also to DATJMOM for the welcome.

Nope. I don't know everything, LOL! :) I've sure learned alot being a member here at TS. It's been a great place for a wealth of information and making friends. One of my favorite things about having twins is that I can be a member of this site.

31. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

Hey PH I understand what you mean about being a member here. I cant believe how special it is to be having twins, its like a secret society from mainstream single pregnancy. I thought it would be so similiar to when I went through my daughters birth, but this is something so different and the people here are so amazing and supportive. Great to see a couple more aussies in her too lol so welcome m2bx2 and will be asking a few questions for brizy twins about how you grew up what was the good or bad decisions that your parents made in bringing you both up.