I think we are getting over confident or something :)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We booked a trip to Hawaii in January!!! [​IMG] It's going to be about a 12-14 hr. day when all is said and done! Possibly longer!!

Anyone deal with a 3+ hr. time change and any advice? We are pretty good at the short 2.5 hr. flights,. but this is going to be BIG!! We did NOT book ANY extra seats. They are going on our laps! [​IMG]

We did plan to fly during the days of the week that were the least popular and busy and are keeping our fingers crossed for extra seats!!

Do you put your car seats in baggage in the airline bags or do you buy a bag?

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We booked a trip to Hawaii in January!!! [​IMG] It's going to be about a 12-14 hr. day when all is said and done! Possibly longer!!

Anyone deal with a 3+ hr. time change and any advice? We are pretty good at the short 2.5 hr. flights,. but this is going to be BIG!! We did NOT book ANY extra seats. They are going on our laps! [​IMG]

We did plan to fly during the days of the week that were the least popular and busy and are keeping our fingers crossed for extra seats!!

Do you put your car seats in baggage in the airline bags or do you buy a bag?

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Have fun! I'd love to go to Hawaii, but it's such a HAUL from the east coast! We got thesebags for transporting our car seats and they work well. They're inexpensive and seem pretty durable. I hope you get extra seats - that would be a long flight with them on your laps! They probably won't let you sit in the same row if there isn't an empty seat b/c of the number of oxygen masks. HTH [​IMG]

4. newfiefreckle

newfiefreckle Well-Known Member

No advice here Di, I just wanted to say I am green with envy. You lucky dog. Have a great trip.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

quote:
    They probably won't let you sit in the same row if there isn't an empty seat b/c of the number of oxygen masks. HTH

Yeah, that's pretty standard. We have that issue every time we go. One time, Jim went to the bathroom and the flight attendant was going to make me put one of them down or to move to an empty row or something!! (for 2 min.) Jim was walking back down the aisle, so we were saved!

6. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

I also have the bags mentioned above. But after two trips one of them already has a hole in it. I might try something else; with a handle and wheels if possible.

My advice for the flight is get or borrow a DVD player, and bring plastic bags and change of clothes in case anyone gets sick.

HTH
    Laurie

7. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

quote:
    My advice for the flight is get or borrow a DVD player, and bring plastic bags and change of clothes in case anyone gets sick.

Excellent advice! We are planning on obtaining a DVD player and I didn't think of the plastic bags!! [​IMG]

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Oh how fun!! No advice here... we barely handle car trips, but I'm sure it'll all work out!

BTW: Love the new avatar! They look so big!

9. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

I took a trip from OH to OR with the girls last month. It was a long travel day ... it was about 10 hours all in all. And we did have the 3 hour time change too. I was really petrified about how it would all go ... especially as DH didn't come! My mom did come, though, so we elected to have the babies sit on our laps instead of paying an extra $600 to buy them tickets.

My fears were really unfounded, because the girls did absolutely fantastic. THey were truly SUCH good girls the entire trip.

As far as the 3 hour time change ... we just did the best we could. Because they hardly slept at all on the day we travelled to OR, and because they went to bed at 8pm OR time (so 11pm their time!), they were TIRED and ended up sleeping a good 12 hours. So, we just jumped to Oregon time the following day too. Although they were tired periodically, we were doing so much that they were okay. Naps were kind of hit or miss the entire trip, but again, they were so busy that they really didn't get that fussy. And because they were so tired it just helped them go to sleep at night and stay alseep anyhow.

For the flight, I just checked the carseats with the airline bags. They were nice, big, thick plastic bags and the carseats did just fine. I gate checked our stroller so that I could have it to navigate the airports. It was nice to have the basket underneath, too.

As far as the flight itself ... to keep the girls occupied, I had purchased two new books, two new toys, and a new Baby Einstein DVD. These were all a big hit and truly helped. I also brought their lovies in our carry on. They usually only get their lovies at nap and bedtime, so it was a special treat for them. I had lots and lots of snacks -- graham crackers, raisins, cereal, even mini marshmallows in case of a real emergency (but we never had to break them out! [​IMG]). I also had empty sippy cups which I filled with bottled water once on the flight.

I packed two separate carry ons -- one for each girl replete with all necessities. In addition to the usual diaper bag items, I had an extra change of clothing for them, hand sanitizer, baggies for trash and dirty clothing, disposable bibs, and their respective toys/food.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck. Have fun. ANd try not to stress. If you're low key and relaxed during the trip, your kiddoes will pick up on that vibe and likely be just fine.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Melissa!! Thanks!!!

We booked it after our trip this past week went so smoothly, so we are hoping for more of the same with a little more walking the aisles of the airplane.....Thank you for all the ideas!! AWESOME!! Thanks!!

11. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

Hi Diane,
    How exciting! We took the girls to Hawaii to celebrate their first birthday with my family. It went really well! We were very impressed as were many others on the plane. We received a number of compliments after the 9 hour flight.

We booked seats for each of them and as Melissa mentioned above, we had to sit one behind the other. We also used those bags to transport the car seats. I waited with the girls in the stroller at the entrance to the plane while my husband set up the car seats. He then returned to the entrance and we carried the girls on board and left the stroller with the flight attendant.

They took about 3 days to transition to the 5 hour time difference. We just pushed back the time a little each day.

Feel free to PM me for any other in flight tips or for any info on the islands.

Have a great trip!

Sharon [​IMG]

12. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

Di, that sounds like so much fun!!! I'm sure they'll do great, we always get worried for nothing. We're flying to NY in a few weeks and we're bringing a portable DVD and probably a few new books. I am going to gate check the carseats (I think) along with the stroller (still up in the air). I hope it won't be too crazy. I'm excited to see what other responses you get to see if they help me too!

Lisa

13. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am so jealous!! We haven't taken the kids on a plane at all. Last year my MIL wanted us to come down to FLA, but DH didn't want to deal with flying with two kids (and that's only a 3 hour flight).....guess it's going to be a while now that we will have 3 kids under 3....